Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:08 PM   #151
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonky View Post
Imagine if it were ****!
After the multiple phone calls to and from STM and retailers I hope I like the case! Ordered the black and berry as I said, will post some pictures from my 4S
oli356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:38 PM   #152
jordanogrady
macrumors 6502

Had my email saying its shipped too!
jordanogrady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:35 AM   #153
Gonky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli356 View Post
After the multiple phone calls to and from STM and retailers I hope I like the case! Ordered the black and berry as I said, will post some pictures from my 4S
I am expecting DETAILED opinions, man!
Gonky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:01 AM   #154
jordanogrady
macrumors 6502

Mine is at home waiting for me.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:16 AM   #155
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonky View Post
I am expecting DETAILED opinions, man!
Review:

So I ordered the STM Skinny black and the cherry. I like this case, while I can't compare it to anything I will be keeping it.

Material:
I was unsure with the material when I looked at the photos, I used the original iPad case for my 1st iPad and a leather-like feel one. I like the feel of the Skinny a lot more than I thought I would. I was unsure about the cherry colour and thought I would prefer the black. The cherry stands out more and is pretty nice in my opinion. The inside micro suede is also very nice, it feels great.

Magnet: My on/off works 100% fine, I also don't have the circle magnet which looks like it has been stuck on. Looks like there is a little cut though. (picture shown). There is only 1 magnet so if you tip the case upside down with the flap undone it will just fall down and turn the screen on.

Cutouts: Camera isn't exactly centre and is pushing the edge, the case isn't visible though when using the camera. The 30 pin connector is fine for the cable, can't comment on camera kit etc. Power button is easy to press with the microphone exposed a little bit and a reasonable cut out for the headphones, no problems with my Klipsch headphones. Volume and switch are fine also.

The flap: This was my biggest concern about the case, it still is. It takes a bit of work to open the case, I find the easiest way to open it is to have the iPad on its side and lift the screen over up, it will pull the flap out. Throughout the day though it has been less annoying, if at home as well I will just leave the flap undone.

Installation: Extremely easy
Removing the iPad: Well this was extremely easy on the cherry, the black was a different story. It took me atleast 5 minutes to remove the case, it simply wouldn't come out. I had family try as well, obviously not wanting to break anything... but it was hard! It's done by pushing the 2 corners on the left of the iPad, this wasn't working. I ended up managing to get the top right released and eventually the top left.

The case sits pretty much flush on the screen on the cherry case. The black one doesn't, it floats a few mm above the screen. It wasn't turning on or the screen but it was hovering. (pictures)

I think my black one is just a badly made one.. Screen isn't flush and the removal was a PITA.

Stands: The 'movie' stand is good, extremely hard to knock down on a flat surface and it worked very well when I used it this morning on my bad/in bed. I think the keyboard mode is also good, possibly a bit to high though for my liking.

Folding the case around the back: If you swing the front of the case round to the back it won't easily go flat. Pictures are shown of how it will be, if I use a bit of force it will go flat; doing that though isn't pleasant on the hand.

Overall I am happy with the case, I will keep the Cherry and return the black, the build quality of the Cherry is far better in this instance. My only complaint is the flap and how its quite stiff to get out. The case also fits in my belkin sleeve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz8-zD8hIDQ here is a terrible video of me opening the case, my phone was on my iPad stand and I couldn't see what was going on. I made it look more difficult than it really is.
I have also uploaded photos, sorry about the quality and the mess on my desk ! http://imgur.com/a/inMzR

Last edited by oli356; Apr 13, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
oli356 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:31 AM   #156
Maziar
macrumors 6502

Finally,after hours of research on what case to get(and after reading this thread),I'm going to order one tonight
However,I was going to order the black one when I read some of you guys saying cherry has a better build quality,is that right ? Because I thought all the colors have the same material
Maziar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:32 AM   #157
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maziar View Post
Finally,after hours of research on what case to get(and after reading this thread),I'm going to order one tonight
However,I was going to order the black one when I read some of you guys saying cherry has a better build quality,is that right ? Because I thought all the colors have the same material
Same material yes, my Cherry is better build quality than the black, but that's most likely just random luck... Though considering how hard it is to get the iPad out of MY black one I think it's a faulty one.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #158
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I've quit using my Skinny 3 (mushroom). The strap has become just loose enough that when closed the lid hovers over the screen just far enough to cause the magnet sleep/wake function to stutter on & off.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:45 AM   #159
Gadger Snr
macrumors member

Spel

Last edited by Gadger Snr; Feb 9, 2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spel
Gadger Snr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 AM   #160
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadger Snr View Post
Just turned up today - slightly longer than anticipated

Not to impressed with the way the magnet has been added - photo below
Mine's not as bad as that, but that's still a lot better then those with a circle bump.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:53 PM   #161
firemedicmark
macrumors 6502

just ordered mine, hopefully it'll get here b4 i leave for vaca!
firemedicmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #162
Cheezewhiz
macrumors member

I just received my skinny in black, and it seems like the case doesn't actually fit the iPad all that well. The top of the case hovers off the back of the iPad a bit. You can see it in the pictures posted in the link a few posts back too. Sort of disappointing.
Cheezewhiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:41 AM   #163
j-a-x
macrumors 65816

Sucks to hear all of the negatives. I'm still using the Skinny for iPad 2 (with my magnet mod) on the iPad 3 and it works great.
j-a-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:15 PM   #164
heavy2healthy
macrumors regular

Got it for my iPad 3 for 31 dollars and change. I'm very happy.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:21 AM   #165
jordanogrady
macrumors 6502

I've had mine over a week now, and I can't fault it. There is a tiny square cut out where the magnet has been altered, but to be totally honest, I wouldn't of noticed if one of you guys hadn't mentioned it.
It's light weight, and doesn't add much bulk to the iPad at all, and that's what I wanted. I also order a maroo case, and I'll probably sell it to be honest.

If I had to pick any negative points, I'd say that when the case is closed and the strap secure, it's quite difficult to open, suppose that could be a good point tho, as you know it's secure.
Also, the material round the edges seems to Frey a little (really minor) but if you wanted to be picky I suppose this could be a bad point. It really isn't anything to worry about, and it's not bad at all.... I was just trying to find something to moan about.

All in all, a good case, and I'll be keeping it on mine!

Jordan
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:54 AM   #166
gordita
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy2healthy View Post
Got it for my iPad 3 for 31 dollars and change. I'm very happy.
ok, I'm sold on this case but what do I need to do to get it down to $31.xx?
site?
code?
thanks
gordita is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:51 PM   #167
hotglass555
macrumors newbie

Still having magnet problems

I just got an STM Skinny 3 in blue that I ordered about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The magnet problem is apparently still not fixed. The wake/sleep does not work. STM is aware of the problem and the first recommendation they make is to send you a "tape" to attach to the inside of the cover so that it then has the wake/sleep for the iPad 3.

If the wake/sleep function is important to you I would suggest you look at alternatives to the Skinny 3.
hotglass555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:27 AM   #168
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotglass555 View Post
I just got an STM Skinny 3 in blue that I ordered about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The magnet problem is apparently still not fixed. The wake/sleep does not work. STM is aware of the problem and the first recommendation they make is to send you a "tape" to attach to the inside of the cover so that it then has the wake/sleep for the iPad 3.

If the wake/sleep function is important to you I would suggest you look at alternatives to the Skinny 3.
It does work, they fixed it. The magnet isn't meant to hold down the cover though.

Email your retailer or STM and they will give you a replacement...
Old May 2, 2012, 02:12 PM   #169
klover
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a skin/decal/leatherskin on the back of thier iPad and are using this case? I'm curious to know if there is room in the case to accomodate my Dodocase bookback.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 11:22 AM   #170
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Does anyone have a skin/decal/leatherskin on the back of thier iPad and are using this case? I'm curious to know if there is room in the case to accomodate my Dodocase bookback.
I can fit my new ipad in my old(from ipad 2) STM Skinny with the bookback on, it fits with no problem at all.
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:44 AM   #171
jordanogrady
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
I have a skin on the back of mine and it still fits fine.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:38 AM   #172
NickRno77
macrumors regular

I guess this is the same case made bye Uniea, they do a similar case to the STM Grip as well, can be bought on eBay.

http://www.uniea.com/for-Tablets-cas...-iPad_206.aspx

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories