Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 5, 2012, 12:22 PM   #26
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by conartist4u View Post
Just some food for thought....

Texting While Driving Statistics
  • About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year.
  • While teenagers are texting, they spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.
  • Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. That is enough time to travel the length of a football field.

Those are all the reasons we need Siri to be responsive and user friendly to be used with minimal contact with the phone.

How do you read texts with Siri active through bluetooth. you still have to touch the phone at some point...

Adapted from EdgarSnyder.com
Thanks for the statistics that are pretty much common knowledge. I am fully aware of the hazards of texting while driving, all of which I only use Siri if I have to text.

While connected to Bluetooth Siri works through the speakers of the truck, i do not have to hold the phone to talk to siri. Siri will read your text messages to you if you ask. Can you not hold down the home button without taking your eyes off the road?

Again, this is a great feature if Siri works correctly, in which my case is only 75% of the time.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #27
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Siri, put this post on my reading list. Today, we're dancing: Play Shake, Rattle'n'Roll.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:57 PM   #28
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336240622.813149.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	338627
Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
A dedicated icon would be great, I'm with you there. There are numerous tweaks available that allow 100% hands free operation, the ability to launch apps from siri, the ability to update twitter from siri, being able to turn wifi/bluetooth on and off, stuff like that. Right now you have to jailbreak to do that stuff, but it works very well and is seamless. I think that stuff like that should eventually be standard on future releases.

Those tweaks won't fix the voice recognition issues a lot of people seem to have, but like I said, I have had almost no issues when it comes to Siri understanding me. I do say some words funny but I don't have a full blown accent.
I do hope Apple adds standard functionality for adding an icon to springboard.

As far as accent is concerned its just getting used to pronouncing words extra clearly with clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post
Thanks for the statistics that are pretty much common knowledge. I am fully aware of the hazards of texting while driving, all of which I only use Siri if I have to text.

While connected to Bluetooth Siri works through the speakers of the truck, i do not have to hold the phone to talk to siri. Siri will read your text messages to you if you ask. Can you not hold down the home button without taking your eyes off the road?

Again, this is a great feature if Siri works correctly, in which my case is only 75% of the time.
could it connectivity or maybe your Texan accent. eh cowboy

Last edited by r.j.s; May 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Post merge
conartist4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:32 PM   #29
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

I see a lot of negative comments about Siri and how it doesn't always work. I can literally say mine works 99.9% of the time. I think it's brilliant and considering I'm British (I've read many comments saying it cannot understand a strong British accent) it understands my accent very well! I love Siri!
virginblue4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:38 PM   #30
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Talking

Quote:
Attachment 338627

I do hope Apple adds standard functionality for adding an icon to springboard.

As far as accent is concerned its just getting used to pronouncing words extra clearly with clarity.

could it connectivity or maybe your Texan accent. eh cowboy
I am actually in Texas on military orders. I am originally from San Diego, CA, nice try though
Old May 5, 2012, 03:47 PM   #31
ixodes
macrumors 601

Siri is a wonderful gimmick for Apple to advertise.

It also appeals to those who enjoy an ego boost, as they fantasize about Siri as their "personal assistant".

One look at the recent Siri commercials over emphasizes the usefulness of this so called "feature".

After boarding my plane at LAX last week, while waiting to lift off, a few people were giving orders to Siri, the obnoxious level of chatter was just another reminder of how much Siri appeals to those with no clue about cell phone manners.

Self absorbed, bent on looking important, they chattered away, while looking aside to see who was noticing them.

While Siri is a "feature" on my iPhone, I haven't used it once.

Everything Siri can do, I can do just as fast and easy, if not faster. AND I don't have to listen to the synthesized voice of this obnoxious system.
Old May 5, 2012, 05:23 PM   #32
macMD
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
75% of the time is not exactly "hardly works."

It's new technology - so it's not perfect.
Wait . . . new Apple technology that doesn't work and that is ok. This is the reason people call foul on Apple apologizers. For me it works maybe 20-30% of the time and I have to constantly repeat the request. Its a joke.

----------

How about a better voice for Siri or some other updated feature to it. As for it being called Beta, that was not something I was told at the time of purchase but have only read as an excuse for why it doesn't work.
macMD is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #33
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Siri works for me just about 100% of the time. The only issues I have with it is remember what to say and how to say it, example - saying "comma" and "question mark" in text messages.

Siri is BETA software, Apple has never marketed it as "perfect" so relax. It isn't like it's taking functionality away from the rest of the device. Just don't use it if you don't like it.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:09 PM   #34
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
Siri works for me just about 100% of the time. The only issues I have with it is remember what to say and how to say it, example - saying "comma" and "question mark" in text messages.

Siri is BETA software, Apple has never marketed it as "perfect" so relax. It isn't like it's taking functionality away from the rest of the device. Just don't use it if you don't like it.
I do have to say, respectfully, though, I wish Siri would work for me the same way it does in those ads with Zoey Deschanel and Samuel L. Jackson. It appears to work flawlessly there.
zachlegomaniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:09 PM   #35
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Since Siri is "Beta", wouldn't there be random updates from time to time? I think the last update was when they added more languages but nothing for the functionality of the program. Also when something is beta aren't they supposed to release the software to developers before releasing to the public? Apple seeds to developers for new MAC OS and iOS but never anything new for Siri. Then to top it off they totally avoided Siri in the new iPad. The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.

What if the new iPhone 5/6 didn't come equipped with Siri? What would you all think? I know it's a long shot, but what if?
Old May 6, 2012, 03:29 AM   #36
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Since Siri is "Beta", wouldn't there be random updates from time to time? I think the last update was when they added more languages but nothing for the functionality of the program. Also when something is beta aren't they supposed to release the software to developers before releasing to the public? Apple seeds to developers for new MAC OS and iOS but never anything new for Siri. Then to top it off they totally avoided Siri in the new iPad. The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.

What if the new iPhone 5/6 didn't come equipped with Siri? What would you all think? I know it's a long shot, but what if?
thank you for your earlier post you not being a cowboy, maybe just a marine then. hooo haaaa!

back on topic, IMHO there should be updates to enhance the repeated efficiency delivered by Siri to users. IPhone 4 users can have Siri ported (illegal maybe) but it still works for them.
An iPhone 5 (proposed) would defo have voice recognition software alongwith other visual enhancements.
But in the scenario they don't add Siri, I guess it's something we all saw coming.
conartist4u is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:49 AM   #37
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How do you read texts with Siri active through bluetooth. you still have to touch the phone at some point...
No you dont. Many cars will activate Siri from the phone button on steering wheels. Mine does, and I use it to read texts, although I find the reliability of Siri in the car terrible.
daviddth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:38 AM   #38
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.
Someone finally gets it. The 4S had no real 'wiz-bang' going for it, so the sexy new Siri was thrown in to the mix, even though it was (and still is) in beta. But it's software based, not hardware, (and has been proved to work on the iPhone 4), so it really has little to do with the 4S itself. It smacks of Apple going "we got a lot of good upgrades in this old model, but nothing screams excitement" What else can we through in there?" Enter Siri.

And it worked: Got millions of giggling men to buy the otherwise humdrum 4S.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:04 AM   #39
SR45
Banned

Anytime I hear a release is still in BETA, whether its a Mac or PC, I fully understand this will be buggy for sometime to come. Could be many months or even longer as the program matures. We should not expect other wise ladies and gentleman. Some of use are having issues because of our speech, or accents but as others have mentioned, it is still maturing.

Even when its out of BETA, I bet SIRI will still have hiccups.
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 07:08 AM   #40
St. Germain
macrumors 6502

Siri works for me about 98% of the time. I know which commands I can use and am used to saying them the way she understands them. I can use it to accomplish anything shown in the commercials. For me, it's a pretty solid feature. I was upgrading from a 3GS anyway, so the 4S was a huge leap forward.
St. Germain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 07:20 AM   #41
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
After boarding my plane at LAX last week, while waiting to lift off, a few people were giving orders to Siri, the obnoxious level of chatter was just another reminder of how much Siri appeals to those with no clue about cell phone manners. Self absorbed, bent on looking important, they chattered away, while looking aside to see who was noticing them...
I get the same reaction when people actually talk on their phone. Or to other people. How dare they.

I use Siri because it is faster than typing (and in my case, more accurate). I don't like using Siri in public because of the lack of privacy - perhaps that is why those using Siri in an airport were looking around.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #42
yinz
macrumors 6502a

I'm quite satisfied with Siri, but I didn't expect her to be my personal assistant. I just expected her to satisfy the lazy me. She checks the weather, plays songs, checks calendars, alerts me with reminders, that's good enough.

The big seller to iPhone 4S for me wasn't Siri, it was AirPlay Mirroring. It makes FaceTime, picture and video sharing, and reading so much better!

They should advertise AirPlay!
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:08 PM   #43
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

The same logic should be used for the government.
They hardly work, so whats the point?

Well if Siri works 75% of the time, thats almost 3 times as much as the government.

Maybe we're complaining about the wrong stuff?

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:37 PM   #44
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddth View Post
No you dont. Many cars will activate Siri from the phone button on steering wheels. Mine does, and I use it to read texts, although I find the reliability of Siri in the car terrible.
Thats awesome! didnt know that, sounds more convenient that way.

As far as reliability is concerned we all know where this convo will be headed. Everyone has a varied thoughts on that one
Old May 6, 2012, 01:05 PM   #45
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

Siri works for me nearly 100% of the time. I've used it since the old Siri app. The only time it doesn't is when I'm on WiFi at home and my ISP is delivering exceptionally laggy service. Occasionally I will ask a question that is too intricate or might be something that Siri just isn't set up to do, I don't consider that not working, I consider that lacking features.

I use Siri for all of my scheduling. I hear people say they can just do things manually faster than Siri can. OK, go ahead and make a calendar appointment faster than I can with Siri. Not a chance.

I also love it for setting alarms. It hasn't failed at that a single time--even though I have failed at it manually many times while half asleep.

I use it for messaging quite often as well. Not always, more often than not I prefer to send messages silently, but it does come in handy when I have a headset on and I'm in the middle of something else.

I also use it for driving directions. It's much easier than typing everything in. Siri works perfectly when I do this, although sometimes the map data is lacking. This is not however, a Siri issue.

I'd love it if it could do more. The old Siri app used to be able to book restaurant reservations for you through Open Table, and a few other things. I'd like it to link with Fandango or some similar app to buy movie tickets for example.

Like I said in the beginning, there are times when I ask for things that are out of Siri's range of capabilities. There, I can't really say the app isn't working. It works fine, it just doesn't do everything I always want it to do.
Mak47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:15 PM   #46
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Anytime I hear a release is still in BETA, whether its a Mac or PC, I fully understand this will be buggy for sometime to come. Could be many months or even longer as the program matures. We should not expect other wise ladies and gentleman. Some of use are having issues because of our speech, or accents but as others have mentioned, it is still maturing.

Even when its out of BETA, I bet SIRI will still have hiccups.
I can't think of a single instance when I actually had to pay for a beta. Siri is one of those cases, and it's being marketed as the killer app for the 4S. As such, we should hold it to a higher standard than other beta software.
terraphantm is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:53 PM   #47
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Today I asked Siri to remind me to buy a birthday card for my dad tomorrow at 2pm. Siri then said "Let me check on that, would you like me to search the web?".....I know I speak proper english so my voice is not the issue. It's cases like these that pisses me off. I went into the reminders app and set the reminder myself. I might as well turn off Siri
Old May 6, 2012, 10:27 PM   #48
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Siri seemed to be a lot more reliable before it was bought by Apple.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:12 AM   #49
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
Siri works for me nearly 100% of the time. I've used it since the old Siri app. The only time it doesn't is when I'm on WiFi at home and my ISP is delivering exceptionally laggy service. Occasionally I will ask a question that is too intricate or might be something that Siri just isn't set up to do, I don't consider that not working, I consider that lacking features.

I use Siri for all of my scheduling. I hear people say they can just do things manually faster than Siri can. OK, go ahead and make a calendar appointment faster than I can with Siri. Not a chance.

I also love it for setting alarms. It hasn't failed at that a single time--even though I have failed at it manually many times while half asleep.

I use it for messaging quite often as well. Not always, more often than not I prefer to send messages silently, but it does come in handy when I have a headset on and I'm in the middle of something else.

I also use it for driving directions. It's much easier than typing everything in. Siri works perfectly when I do this, although sometimes the map data is lacking. This is not however, a Siri issue.

I'd love it if it could do more. The old Siri app used to be able to book restaurant reservations for you through Open Table, and a few other things. I'd like it to link with Fandango or some similar app to buy movie tickets for example.

Like I said in the beginning, there are times when I ask for things that are out of Siri's range of capabilities. There, I can't really say the app isn't working. It works fine, it just doesn't do everything I always want it to do.
+1

good explanation of how it works for some and doesn't for others.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464512.393471.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	338903

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464596.191841.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	338904
Old May 8, 2012, 03:17 AM   #50
conartist4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Today I asked Siri to remind me to buy a birthday card for my dad tomorrow at 2pm. Siri then said "Let me check on that, would you like me to search the web?".....I know I speak proper english so my voice is not the issue. It's cases like these that pisses me off. I went into the reminders app and set the reminder myself. I might as well turn off Siri
I guess you need to use correct pretext. it's smart but not perfect. btw trying to help not messing about.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464935.892436.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	338905

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone