Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Do you like being hassled by others?

Person X: Hey, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: Hey, you didn't reply, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: What the hell, reply! Whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person Y: WHAT!?

Some of us like our privacy and distance from others.

Some of you all seem to need more mature friends if they'll harass you over not instantly replying to a message.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Some of you all seem to need more mature friends if they'll harass you over not instantly replying to a message.

if i dont reply to my mum within 5 minutes, she's calling me.

when i dont reply within an hour to my friends on whatsapp, they usually leave me something on facebook or twitter. if i dont respons to my iMessage instantly, they send the messages again to my iPad and to my Mac to make sure im getting it. but i'm the same so i dont mind it LOL

smartphones made everything "worse" as in being online 24/7

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
People are that worried about the read receipt? I have other things to worry about then a person telling me "I know you read it". For one, I doubt my friends would bother with it 2, I read messages and reply a while later.. who cares.. it's Facebook and for 3, if your friends do that (Hey, I know you read it!) they are probably not that mature. :rolleyes:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
People are that worried about the read receipt? I have other things to worry about then a person telling me "I know you read it". For one, I doubt my friends would bother with it 2, I read messages and reply a while later.. who cares.. it's Facebook and for 3, if your friends do that (Hey, I know you read it!) they are probably not that mature. :rolleyes:

i think its rude not to respond right away. its something else if u didnt see it but if u read it but go like meh ... not now. thats just rude. i always say sorry when it takes me to long to reply

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
i think its rude not to respond right away. its something else if u didnt see it but if u read it but go like meh ... not now. thats just rude. i always say sorry when it takes me to long to reply

how is it rude? I read a text at times and don't reply because I am working, out with wife/family/friends or just too busy. I read them to make sure it's not important and maybe I need to act right away. I think it's more rude to be with my wife out to dinner and texting other people.
This is why I like texting/FB messaging over talking on the phone because I will get back when I have time.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how is it rude? I read a text at times and don't reply because I am working, out with wife/family/friends or just too busy. I read them to make sure it's not important and maybe I need to act right away. I think it's more rude to be with my wife out to dinner and texting other people.
This is why I like texting/FB messaging over talking on the phone because I will get back when I have time.

if u put it that way i guess your right

Last edited:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I consider the inability to turn off read receipts as something that makes any sort of messenger application fundamentally broken.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
For sure...

really now. yet i think the Facebook app for iPad needs a ton of work.

Yes, the Facebook app needs a LOT of work.... but I'm not holding my breath, as Facebook itself needs a good bit of work (aside from the not-thought-through UI, core aspects such as being able to follow your posts like any normal forum don't work properly, etc. And, of course, don't get me started on the privacy... but that's purposeful, not ignorance or sloppiness.).

As for FB Messenger, hopefully they eventually make an iPad version.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
I know they are trying to make it seem like we are having a conversation with someone face-to-face, but do I not have right to read something without the writer knowing I've read it?
It makes me feel like I have to deal with it NOW, rather than a brief read followed by "I'll deal with it later".

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I know they are trying to make it seem like we are having a conversation with someone face-to-face, but do I not have right to read something without the writer knowing I've read it?
It makes me feel like I have to deal with it NOW, rather than a brief read followed by "I'll deal with it later".

The sad fact is the erosion of our privacy is necessary if companies like FB want to continue making (more) money.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Stopped using FB some months ago due to privacy concerns.

This feature makes me laugh. Will break many "friendship".

Old
Person A: "Blablabla, get back to me"
Person B: <reads it> ignores it
Person A: "Maybe he/she didn't read it, no biggy."

New
Person A: "Blablabla, get back to me"
Person B: <reads it> ignores it
Person A: WTF, why are you ignoring me.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I don't like getting a message, having the other person informed that I read that message, then getting another one from them asking if I'm going to respond. I'll respond when I can! I've got it disabled in iMessage for that reason.

Do you like being hassled by others?

Person X: Hey, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: Hey, you didn't reply, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: What the hell, reply! Whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person Y: WHAT!?

Some of us like our privacy and distance from others.

Wow, this is definitely more a problem with your 'friends' than the app. You should deal with them if they're hassling you rather than just hide away from the problem and ignore it. read receipts are good as you know the person has got the message. the amount of times where i have sent the message and it hasn't actually gone through on FB, despite it looking like it from my end, means this is a good thing.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wow, this is definitely more a problem with your 'friends' than the app. You should deal with them if they're hassling you rather than just hide away from the problem and ignore it. read receipts are good as you know the person has got the message. the amount of times where i have sent the message and it hasn't actually gone through on FB, despite it looking like it from my end, means this is a good thing.

That is silly. This is an issue for people with business relationships, people with just acquantence familiarity etc.

I don't tie my life to technology. If someone wants to send me a message fine, but I will return it when I choose to and without the implied expectation. Someone is being ignored.

If you have so many problems with messages getting lost that you require a mandatory read reciept you should investigate some more reliable messaging options.

You should not let others puppeteer your life simply by when they choose to contact you. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of Facebook messages don't have any sort of urgency or import attached where a read receipt is required.

Having read receipts is not bad, having them not defaulted to off and toggled means your messenger app is entirely broken.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That is silly. This is an issue for people with business relationships, people with just acquantence familiarity etc.

I don't tie my life to technology. If someone wants to send me a message fine, but I will return it when I choose to and without the implied expectation. Someone is being ignored.

If you have so many problems with messages getting lost that you require a mandatory read reciept you should investigate some more reliable messaging options.

You should not let others puppeteer your life simply by when they choose to contact you. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of Facebook messages don't have any sort of urgency or import attached where a read receipt is required.

Having read receipts is not bad, having them not defaulted to off and toggled means your messenger app is entirely broken.

As i have said, i've had instances where a message on FB shows as being sent on mine, but my friend has not received it, so the read receipt is a good thing as i know for sure it's gone through. It's blatantly a fault on facebook's side with poor coding, but it's just nice to know that a message has gone through ok. i'm not reliant on technology, just nice to know something's been received. i don't use FB for urgent messaging, that's what SMS or phone calls are for.

me and my friends have no issues with read receipts, knowing one of us has read the message and not replied causes no issue as we're not so insecure that we think we're being ignored. That's all this moaning about read receipts come down to. if you have someone that messages constantly asking if you're ignoring them cos you've not replied to a message that they know was read, then deal with them. they're probably people that, if read receipts aren't available, would message asking if you got their text.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Facebook, for the love of God, please just put a few hours into making your main app something better than the horrendous piece of crap that it is now.

Could not agree more, I have to delete the app on a daily basis just to make it work correctly. A lot of times when I click on stuff it won't open it in the native parts of the application, but try to open it in the Facebooks "browser" which I am not logged into.

It's just terrible, that's why I've reverted to Twitter, less clutter and their **** works.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
You know they can do that anyway, right?

"Hey, did you read it?"

And how is getting one message the worst annoyance in the world? Don't want it? 'X' out and you're done....

The Internet wasn't made for hermits living in seclusion, you know...

That sounds more of a problem with the person not the program. If someone annoys you THAT much, why are you communicating with them?

Perhaps you are just a student who can selectively choose who they interact with... When you grow up though, you will find a lot of situations where you are required to interact with people you do not like and annoy you.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Perhaps you are just a student who can selectively choose who they interact with... When you grow up though, you will find a lot of situations where you are required to interact with people you do not like and annoy you.

wow, way to be condescending and totally making up something about the poster, assuming he's a student? In life you can easily choose who you interact with, what you're saying is poppycock. The point of facebook is that people are on your friends list because they are your friends and you want to talk to, otherwise why have them on your friends list? for business stuff, isn't that what LinkedIn is for? If you have people on your friends list on facebook you don't like, delete them, simple as! lol.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

Not for friends really. If I'm finding an answer for someone I may be doing business with, showing that I "Read" their message but am not responding to it yet may look like I'm ignoring it.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not for friends really. If I'm finding an answer for someone I may be doing business with, showing that I "Read" their message but am not responding to it yet may look like I'm ignoring it.

as i said before, facebook is for friends, so why would business matter? as i said, isn't LinkedIn for business stuff. I know i don't have anyone i do business with on my facebook friends list as i don't think it's professional....

healage

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
"Product Manager Peter Deng tells "SMS has been around for 20 years, built it was for these T9 phones. We're focused on leveraging all the capabilities of today's devices to create a new messaging experience." He also says these are just the start of app updates designed to make mobile conversations feel more real, as if you had body language cues and more to go by."

Product Manager Peter 'Yoda' Deng

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.