Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
lifeguard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
New Connector on next iPhone

I have seen and read multiple articles about the Supposed next iPhone having a new connector. Supposably it is going to have fewer pins smaller size allows for more room for other things etc etc etc....

I am wondering what is the merit of Apple designing and integrating a unique connection port vs using something that is proven a very capable design like the mini or micro USB connection.

I know there are going to be people who say well then they can use any other usb device such as a charger or doc or whatever but I have a 3rd party doc with the original Apple connection that my iPhone 4 says is not compatible so why can't they do the same for an iPhone using the mini/micro USB cable?

Also I know we are just speculating but I would be interested to know what others think the new connector will be like. Are you envisioning a mini 30pin type connector or more of a blade usb type.

Curious to your thoughts
lifeguard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:14 PM   #2
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
I can only come up with two reasons why Apple would change the charging/sync port.

1. Making it smaller in some form allows for a design change that is a hinderance or impossible with the current port.

2. The new port allows for much faster recharging.

Perhaps there are other reasons too, but that's all I can think of currently. And honestly I am highly suspicious that there is any truth to said rumor. Consumers have invested a ton of money into docks and the like that are compatible with iPod's and iPhone's. If Apple changes the port of the current line, then they will have to release an adapter of some sort. And who knows if said adapter would be compatible with all docks, etc. (My guess is they would not.)

So I'll believe the change in connector when I see it.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Gix1k
macrumors 68020
 
Gix1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
This would be a nightmare to every car company out there. I see this being a huge mistake on Apple's part.
__________________
LTE iPad Mini 2 32gb
iPad Air 32gb
iphone 5s gold 32gb
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I can only come up with two reasons why Apple would change the charging/sync port.

1. Making it smaller in some form allows for a design change that is a hinderance or impossible with the current port.

2. The new port allows for much faster recharging.

Perhaps there are other reasons too, but that's all I can think of currently. And honestly I am highly suspicious that there is any truth to said rumor. Consumers have invested a ton of money into docks and the like that are compatible with iPod's and iPhone's. If Apple changes the port of the current line, then they will have to release an adapter of some sort. And who knows if said adapter would be compatible with all docks, etc. (My guess is they would not.)

So I'll believe the change in connector when I see it.
New dock connector allows for a thinner phone and more room internally. I'll bet Apple sells a $29 adapter from 30 pin to 16 pin connector to make it an easy transition.
applefanDrew is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #5
macMD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
The only way Apple gets around the microUSB requirement in the EU is to sell a 30 Pin to microUSB adapter. They don't give EU customers one, they have to buy it. Something that should be sold in the US since I get tired of the 30 pin connector cables breaking all the time and paying $20 for a replacement is a joke.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
New dock connector allows for a thinner phone and more room internally. I'll bet Apple sells a $29 adapter from 30 pin to 16 pin connector to make it an easy transition.
I'm sure that's what would happen if the pin changes.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
djrod
macrumors 6502a
 
djrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid - Spain
You can't get video out with a micro USB port...
__________________
404 : Signature not found
djrod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I can only come up with two reasons why Apple would change the charging/sync port.

1. Making it smaller in some form allows for a design change that is a hinderance or impossible with the current port.

2. The new port allows for much faster recharging.

Perhaps there are other reasons too, but that's all I can think of currently. And honestly I am highly suspicious that there is any truth to said rumor. Consumers have invested a ton of money into docks and the like that are compatible with iPod's and iPhone's. If Apple changes the port of the current line, then they will have to release an adapter of some sort. And who knows if said adapter would be compatible with all docks, etc. (My guess is they would not.)

So I'll believe the change in connector when I see it.
You missed the one that will force people to buy a bunch of new stuff and adaptors. Adaptors that are more than near 100% pure profit.

Really if Apple is going to do this change then they should then go to micro USB and follow suit with everyone else.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
If they make the port smaller they better make the speakers bigger and crisper
__________________
500GB Macbook Pro 2007 (OS X Mavericks)
250GB Retina Macbook Pro 2013 (OS X Yosemite)
16GB iPhone 5 (iOS 7)
32GB iPad 2 (iOS 7)
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Gix1k
macrumors 68020
 
Gix1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan.pirota View Post
That suks. FRAGMENTATION.

Another reason to go Android. All all have the same connector.

Not enough of a reason to me. Android battery is horrible at best on ANY device.
__________________
LTE iPad Mini 2 32gb
iPad Air 32gb
iphone 5s gold 32gb
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:01 PM   #11
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan.pirota View Post
That suks. FRAGMENTATION.

Another reason to go Android. All all have the same connector.
The Android platform isn't fragmented with over 90 devices with different hardware and software running on it?

Me thinks you need to learn one fragmentation means.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
You missed the one that will force people to buy a bunch of new stuff and adaptors. Adaptors that are more than near 100% pure profit.

Really if Apple is going to do this change then they should then go to micro USB and follow suit with everyone else.
Seeing how as adapters come with the phones I can't see this as being a genuine point.

I believe new charging ports are due to the European laws requiring all phones to have the same standard.
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Arnezie
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
This would be a nightmare to every car company out there. I see this being a huge mistake on Apple's part.
I'm sure if they change from the current set up they would make an adapter and sell you one wouldn't profit from that
Arnezie is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #13
lifeguard
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
You can't get video out with a micro USB port...
I did not know that.

I wonder if that is a concern to Apple as they want everything done wirelessly thru the cloud?
lifeguard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:11 AM   #14
djrod
macrumors 6502a
 
djrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madrid - Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I did not know that.

I wonder if that is a concern to Apple as they want everything done wirelessly thru the cloud?
Not everything...

__________________
404 : Signature not found
djrod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:54 AM   #15
daviddth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I did not know that.

I wonder if that is a concern to Apple as they want everything done wirelessly thru the cloud?
Wont happen until Data is much cheaper, faster, cheaper, more widespread coverage and oh did I say cheaper too
daviddth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:15 AM   #16
rbrian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
Not everything...
They're pushing Airplay - even the next Mac OS will be able to share the desktop over Airplay. An adapter and an HDMI cable cost 50 from the Apple Store. An Apple TV costs 99, and can do more than twice as much.
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:21 AM   #17
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I don't even get this question.

First, it doesn't matter what the actual connector on the iphone is as long as there's a usb plug on the other end, so it's not going to play havoc with anyone's car or anything else.

Second, there's a huge ecosystem out there that is based on that plug. Apple won't change it on a whim, even if it's old technology.

Does everyone think the micro-usb plug is what's going to be plugging into everything from your monitor to your car stereo?
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:26 AM   #18
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
The Android platform isn't fragmented with over 90 devices with different hardware and software running on it?

Me thinks you need to learn one fragmentation means.

----------



Seeing how as adapters come with the phones I can't see this as being a genuine point.

I believe new charging ports are due to the European laws requiring all phones to have the same standard.

Apples met those rules. If they design a new port it won't be USB!
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:31 AM   #19
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I don't even get this question.

First, it doesn't matter what the actual connector on the iphone is as long as there's a usb plug on the other end, so it's not going to play havoc with anyone's car or anything else.

Second, there's a huge ecosystem out there that is based on that plug. Apple won't change it on a whim, even if it's old technology.

Does everyone think the micro-usb plug is what's going to be plugging into everything from your monitor to your car stereo?
No, everyone is worried that the pin out will change, making car stereo's incompatible if Apple goes a Micro-USB route. - However I don't mind being proven wrong here as I'm not sure whether on the USB connector side the pinout has to match or something.
watchthisspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 11:40 AM   #20
kevink2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Another disadvantage is the accumulated cables I have. I can have a cable/charger at work that works with either my iPad or iPhone. Another cable in the truck for playing through the stereo. Plus the cord I leave plugged in the computer, and the cord/charger in the bedroom.
kevink2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:00 PM   #21
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I have seen and read multiple articles about the Supposed next iPhone having a new connector. Supposably it is going to have fewer pins smaller size allows for more room for other things etc etc etc....

I am wondering what is the merit of Apple designing and integrating a unique connection port vs using something that is proven a very capable design like the mini or micro USB connection.
Apples basic business practice has always been about proprietary connectors for iDevices. The lack of a memory card expansion slot or a micro USB port is Apple demonstrating total control over users. We are only allowed to use the device as Apple allows. They thrive on power & control.

That's why we currently have the big bulbous, ugly dock connector, which looks so hideous on the sleek and stylish iPhone 4S. It reveals how hypocritical Apple can be.

On one hand they brag about small, sleek & thin designs, yet on the other, they pair them with a dock connector which looks so out of place it's not funny. If a connector this size was used by the competition, Apple worshipers would be all over them with hate & criticism.

The current speculation involves what is another proprietary connector that's finally been reduced in size. For years Apple continued to cling to this large connector out of defiance. Reducing it's size is way overdue.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:16 PM   #22
daviddth
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
The only way Apple gets around the microUSB requirement in the EU is to sell a 30 Pin to microUSB adapter. They don't give EU customers one, they have to buy it. Something that should be sold in the US since I get tired of the 30 pin connector cables breaking all the time and paying $20 for a replacement is a joke.
I bought 10 cables DELIVERED for $20 in total, so now I have spares everywhere, and you know how many I have broken? 1, and that was because I ran my chair wheels over it by accident at my PC desk.

I find the Apple 30 min connectors fine and reliable, and would not actually like to see Apple go away from that format unless they have to - there are some items such as docks, holders, car and house stereo's etc which wont work with adapters due to space limitations.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I don't even get this question.

First, it doesn't matter what the actual connector on the iphone is as long as there's a usb plug on the other end, so it's not going to play havoc with anyone's car or anything else.

Second, there's a huge ecosystem out there that is based on that plug. Apple won't change it on a whim, even if it's old technology.

Does everyone think the micro-usb plug is what's going to be plugging into everything from your monitor to your car stereo?
Um, my car stereo had a built in Apple 30 pin dock and neatly fits the 3G through 4S in a slot on the front, and a clip at the top stops the phone moving. Any additional height from a longer phone (OK I can handle about 7mm longer thats it) will cause issues. My house stereo had an Apple dock, as does the one in the caravan - both might be able to handle an adapter provided it's not more than 8mm-10mm longer

None of my connection points, even the bedside dock for my phone, uses the USB plug - thats on the PC for charging and syncing the rest of the iOS devices. A change in dock connector size wont be the end of the world, but does not make good business sence to me.
daviddth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:47 PM   #23
Mak47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harrisburg, PA
There are plenty of reasons to change the connector. The fact that lots of people have devices that are compatible with the current one will not be considered a reason to keep it the same, at least not for Apple, and it really is the only reason to keep it the same.

So, why would it be good? What kinds of things might be possible?

1. Smaller port allows for other things or a smaller design.

2. Wired adapters and connections are less and less necessary. Between Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi and AirPlay, the need to connect physically to something is becoming a thing of the past. Changing the adapter will inspire a change in strategy for users and 3rd party manufacturers.

3. A Symmetrical design. The fact that the dock connector only goes in one way can lead to problems. People aren't always smart...or sober. A connection that allows the user to connect the plug any direction, or that outright blocks it if it's wrong would be beneficial.

4. USB 3.0. Many PC's will be coming with USB 3.0 compatibility, and with Ivy Bridge including it natively I can't really see why Apple would not include it on new Macs. The existing 30 Pin connector may not be compatible with USB 3.0.

5. Thunderbolt. A kind of proprietary "Mini" Thunderbolt connection would be great for Mac users (and PC users when it's adopted). We already know that power can be supplied via Thunderbolt, the question is whether or not they can shrink it to fit in a phone. If they can, this would be a great reason to make a change.

6. MagSafe. MagSafe is a great idea on MacBooks. It has saved my laptops dozens of times. I'm sure it will do the same for iPhones and iPads. Plus it's so cool, all of my PC toting friends are jealous every time they see it. This could be a major selling point for iOS devices.

7. There is no more charging port. I know, it sounds crazy. But what if they're really killing off the charging port altogether and only leaving a Micro USB port for maintenance like on the Apple TV? Maybe it'll work for charging, but be meant as a backup method? You can sync via WiFi. Maybe there will be an inductive back on the new iPhone perhaps? Most high quality audio accessories connect via WiFi or Bluetooth anyway...Do we really even need a charging port anymore?
Mak47 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 01:00 PM   #24
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
A change in dock connector size wont be the end of the world, but does not make good business sence to me.
It does if you're thinking in terms of patents. The 30-pin connector continues in use because Apple holds the patent. Since the 30-pin connector has been in use for 10 years, the patent is at least 10 years old, which means it's in the latter half of its life. Time to transition before Apple loses exclusive rights/control of the patent, so that when it does expire, there will be no need for 30-pin connectors in the marketplace.

I'm sure they'll come up with an adapter to make the transition fairly seamless. Given Apple's constant push towards new technologies (and fairly quick practice of abandoning old ones), I'm surprised the 30-pin has been a staple of iDevices for as long as it has.
__________________
iPhone 5 64 GB (VZ) | MacBook Pro 15" (Retina) | Apple TV (3rd gen) | LED Cinema Display 27" | B&W MM-1
URFloorMatt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 01:30 PM   #25
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a
 
bpaluzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
The only way Apple gets around the microUSB requirement in the EU is to sell a 30 Pin to microUSB adapter. They don't give EU customers one, they have to buy it. Something that should be sold in the US since I get tired of the 30 pin connector cables breaking all the time and paying $20 for a replacement is a joke.
False. Apple doesn't need to sell / provide any adapters to be 100% in compliance with with the EU law. The 30-pin connector to USB-A plug is already in compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Apples basic business practice has always been about proprietary connectors for iDevices. The lack of a memory card expansion slot or a micro USB port is Apple demonstrating total control over users. We are only allowed to use the device as Apple allows. They thrive on power & control.
Or it could be the fact that the Apple connector offers FAR more functionality than a USB dock would. Nah, that couldn't be it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
On one hand they brag about small, sleek & thin designs, yet on the other, they pair them with a dock connector which looks so out of place it's not funny. If a connector this size was used by the competition, Apple worshipers would be all over them with hate & criticism.
You mean like the Samsung connection, which is almost exactly the same as Apple's? Don't see many people hating / criticising that one (other than the fact that it's just another example of Samsung's blatant Apple-love)
__________________
Mac Pro; Aluminum iMac; Mac Mini (x2); Macbook Pro; iPad; iPhone 4; TV 2 (x2); G4 Tower
bpaluzzi is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the connector on the iphone 5 seems to be loose BronxKnight iPhone 0 Sep 24, 2012 04:26 PM
New iPhone connector Crazy Badger iPhone 15 Aug 7, 2012 11:09 AM
New Connector on the New iPhone TannerH iPhone 0 Aug 5, 2012 10:29 PM
iPhone 5: What if the new dock connector is a Thunderbolt connector? mossme89 iPhone 22 Jul 27, 2012 06:28 PM
The new iPhone connector petrucci666 iPhone 7 Jul 21, 2012 02:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC