Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 5, 2012, 04:14 PM   #51
Caledones
macrumors newbie

I got my iPad yesterday and while the bottom left gets a bit hot it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

The battery does really take quite a white to charge up but to be honest I think it's worth it. I'm happy to take the waiting to experience this lovely iPad!
Caledones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:29 PM   #52
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Osarkon
The only 'issue' with mine is the battery does take a long time to charge.

However, screen is perfect and it doesn't heat up at all unless it's charging.
Osarkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:31 PM   #53
dancj
macrumors regular

I've just played 45 minutes of Infinity Bade II and my iPad 3 is still nice and cool. Either this heating up thing is a complete storm in a teacup or there's a massive variance in the heat of differ iPads.

And the chafing time is a nothing to me. It charges overnight and I see no reason to want anything more.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:34 PM   #54
Consultant
macrumors G5

iPad 3 overheating? NOPE. Consumer Reports' own words

iPad 3 lasts whole work day if you use it NON-STOP. Just charge it when you go to sleep and it's not an issue.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:10 PM   #55
Kavier
macrumors 6502

I had the iPad 2 and sold it to buy the new model, and I have to say that I think the new model is better. I use my iPad every day for at least 1 1/2 hrs and I only charge it up once a week. Charging has also not been an issues for me as I just plug it in before I go to bed, and it charges while I sleep. I am not having overheating or WIFI issues. My screen was not discord at all. The new retina display is really amazing. I have no regrets.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:25 PM   #56
Q-chan
macrumors member

Luckily charging the battery takes longer!

Charging the battery is an electro-chemical process. It has a natural "speed limit" to it if you don't want to cause degradation of the battery. Every manufacturer has to make a painful choice between short charging times vs. longer lifetime of the battery. I'm glad Apple errs on the side of battery lifetime with all their products. Other manufacturers are less conservative here. My last (PC) notebook was charging fast but eating three batteries in 5 years......
Q-chan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 01:51 AM   #57
Manta-X
macrumors member

I bought two iPad's 3 and neither of them overheats at all. Amazing display and great battery life.
Manta-X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #58
infernohellion
macrumors 6502

I live in Thailand, possibly one of the most humid and hottest country in the world and I'll tell you this thing doesn't heat up so bad at all. I don't play that an any video games tho.

Love it so much. Great battery life and best screen I've seen ever.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #59
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
I've just played 45 minutes of Infinity Bade II and my iPad 3 is still nice and cool. Either this heating up thing is a complete storm in a teacup or there's a massive variance in the heat of differ iPads. .....
The hot spot people are reporting from the lower left side (holding it horizontal) is where the 4G module is located. If you have the Wifi only version, that corner will never get warm. In fact, that spot should have the lowest temperature in the Wifi only models.

Last edited by VFC; May 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:30 PM   #60
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
The hot spot people are reporting from the lower left side (holding it horizontal) is where the 4G module is located. If you have the Wifi only version, that corner will never get warm. In fact, that spot should have the lowest temperature in the Wifi only models.
Actually, I think it's where the graphics chip is located, which is what gets warm.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:06 PM   #61
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
Actually, I think it's where the graphics chip is located, which is what gets warm.
The graphics chip is located approximately in the center of the long side. If the temperature varies between iPads in the center, then it is most likely a manufacturing process variance (like the screen). I believe there is thermal tape on the chip that transfers the heat to the aluminum case. If an iPad is not getting warm in the center under heavy load, that could mean that the thermal tape was installed improperly and not making full contact between the CPU chip and the case.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 11:43 PM   #62
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Or some people are using a case and don't notice it getting warm.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:34 AM   #63
EarlZ
macrumors regular

Since there is a return policy give it a try and see if you like it if not then just return the thing.
EarlZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:52 AM   #64
wickoo
macrumors member

I'm actually considering replacing my 3rd gen iPad with iPad 2,4. I'm not sure if the lowres screen would be bearable after using the retina display for a while, but...

I would love my device to be lighter and take less time to charge up. Even though the new iPad lasts long enough on the battery, I always panic about it's charge, because there's no way to charge it up during the day. Is takes way too long, so if it runs out of juice I'm out of luck.

And the newest iPad 2 with 32nm SoC seems very appealing to me. I compared the screens in a store - most ordinary people I asked said there was no difference. I do see it, but I'm not sure if it's that big of a deal. Smaller weight and 2-3 additional hours of wifi browsing are welcomed.

Plus, of course, I don't get LTE since I live in Europe.

Last edited by wickoo; May 7, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
wickoo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:52 AM   #65
roberthodgson
macrumors regular

I have had no issues with the New IPad it's Great
roberthodgson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:57 PM   #66
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I love mine. No issues at all
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:31 PM   #67
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Didn't you get the memo that the yellow tinting is caused by glue which isn't completely dried out yet and will resolve itself?

And it's not 'overheating' at 95F after 8 hours of Infinity Blade 2. 95F is less than the body temperature of a human. Put your hand on your forehead: That's how hot the iPad 3 gets after hours under full load.
There is NO glue! Did YOU not get the message??? (When will people stop with the glue thing??) jeez!
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:38 PM   #68
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
There is NO glue! Did YOU not get the message??? (When will people stop with the glue thing??) jeez!
I was hoping it's glue but after checking out Best Buy demo units which I'm sure have been out for several weeks, I don't think that yellow tint is going away. 2 out of the 3 demo units were quite yellow in parts, 1 had a fairly uniform white screen.
seajewel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:45 PM   #69
shinobi-81
Banned

IF the iPad 3 were as bad as some people say here on MR, nobody would buy it. But I can understand that even a barely noticeable tint can be frustrating for those who use their iPads for image processing.

Last edited by shinobi-81; May 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
shinobi-81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 06:25 PM   #70
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Op, no they aren't. I've purchased three and all three were just fine.
Gutwrench is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:43 PM   #71
BigAus
macrumors member

No problems here
BigAus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:20 PM   #72
ixodes
macrumors 601

While I find my new iPad 3 very nice, the iPad 2 is a better value at the current price. It's personal preference. Both perform well.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #73
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osarkon View Post
The only 'issue' with mine is the battery does take a long time to charge.

However, screen is perfect and it doesn't heat up at all unless it's charging.
^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^

That, and I can't use it anymore as a clock/radio on my night stand, without it taking forever to charge.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #74
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
While I find my new iPad 3 very nice, the iPad 2 is a better value at the current price. It's personal preference. Both perform well.

How is it a better value? If it was 299 you could argue that but at 399 it is a waste of money. Seeing you can get the new ipad for 100$ more.
flyguy206 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:41 PM   #75
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by offside View Post
my friend who owns a samsung galaxy tablet told me its better than the iPad 3 because its got way more features and freedom and the price is significantly cheaper than the iPad 3.
No.

Ipad 1 is even better than the Galaxy tablet.

Get the Ipad 2 if charge time and heat issues bother you.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad