Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
My mother in law wants a cheaper tablet just for email/internet. Nothing fancy, cheap as possible. I'm a ipad guy and know nothing about the pc/tablet market. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thank u.

bxbomb1983

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Orlando, FL
I'd get her a refurb ipad or a kindle fire, you other choices would be other android tablets that I found are not as user friendly for older people.

BigZ9

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Might get shredded for suggesting this, but the PlayBook at $200 can get the job done.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Go with her while she takes one for a test drive. If she has trouble understanding how to make it work without you telling her, move on.

None of the tablets other than iPad have any visible software upgrade plan. Given the dearth of upgradability on Android phones, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Android tablets to get better. At least not in a way that benefits a current buyer. Maybe the buyer 6 months or a year from now, but not necessarily today's buyer.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Thank u all. Will make sure someone if not me goes shopping with her for a test drive!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Might get shredded for suggesting this, but the PlayBook at $200 can get the job done.

I think I'd get her something from a company that's not such an epic fail. :)

I'd go Kindle Fire personally. Don't know what it is, but every woman I've known that got their hands on one loves it.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
There are currently refurbished first generation iPads available in the Apple Store for only $279. I don't know how you could beat that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My mother in law wants a cheaper tablet just for email/internet. Nothing fancy, cheap as possible. I'm a ipad guy and know nothing about the pc/tablet market. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thank u.

Refurbished iPad 2 for $319.

That's as cheap as possible for an unexperienced user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.