Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:21 AM   #201
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ctronics View Post
Pulled this site from the other thread but let's see if we can drill down to a specific batch of iPads by either week or factory that have a screen issue.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/

The left edge of my screen (in portrait mode) is yellow compared to the right side of the screen. My info from the site above is as follows:

Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi-3G
Generation: 3
ModelCode:
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 8 (February)
introduced test: GOED
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DQ (China - Foxconn refurbished??)

@El3tronics and others on this thread !

When using the above link to find the week of production, it shows the week of production calculating from which day? March-7th (iPad-3 announcment day) or what ?
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:30 PM   #202
Googlyhead
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
May as well join in!
Perfect screen, but seem to be having issues with the home button. Would worry about getting a lesser screen if I returned it at the moment!
Code:
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 2 (January)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)
Googlyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:33 AM   #203
iko.
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SYD
Here we go, all the iPads I have gone through...

All models new iPad 64GB 4G
Week 5 - Factory DL - Pinkish, slightly bicoloured keyboard in portrait mode
Week 7 - Factory DL - Very yellow
Week 7 - Factory DL - Yellow
Week 9 - Factory DL - Bicolour screen (yellow and pink)
Week 12 - Factory DL - Yellow and dirty (literally, the iPad itself)
Week 7 - Factory DL - Green with visible pink colouration in one corner
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow

*Most of the changes were suggested by Apple employees. I don't have any known mental disorder or visual impairment. I kept the first one even knowing it's not perfect but at least the whites are colder than all the rest.
iko. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:37 AM   #204
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020
 
AbSoluTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinser View Post
Looks perfect so far

Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 14 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: BLACK
Capacity: 32GB
Mine is the same as yours. No issues at all - except mine is black. Love my iPad

Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)
__________________
Twitter - Flickr
AbSoluTc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:17 AM   #205
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iko. View Post
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow
One of my friend is on week-15 and Factory DY and his screen is as perfectly white and bright as it can get ! Snow white as they say... The only problem with his unit is it has a considerate Backlight Bleeding ! But certainly nothing yellow about it.
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:42 AM   #206
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by iko. View Post
Here we go, all the iPads I have gone through...

All models new iPad 64GB 4G
Week 5 - Factory DL - Pinkish, slightly bicoloured keyboard in portrait mode
Week 7 - Factory DL - Very yellow
Week 7 - Factory DL - Yellow
Week 9 - Factory DL - Bicolour screen (yellow and pink)
Week 12 - Factory DL - Yellow and dirty (literally, the iPad itself)
Week 7 - Factory DL - Green with visible pink colouration in one corner
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow
Week 15 - Factory DY - Very yellow

*Most of the changes were suggested by Apple employees. I don't have any known mental disorder or visual impairment. I kept the first one even knowing it's not perfect but at least the whites are colder than all the rest.
Ordinarily I'd say maybe the problem is you. But after two bad iPads of my own and the numerous reports on the Internet, this is clearly not an isolated issue.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:11 AM   #207
danbalsh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Send a message via AIM to danbalsh
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi-4G
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 14 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: A1430
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DW (Please tell us where this machine is manufactured)

Perfect screen (from what I can tell)
danbalsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:25 AM   #208
Ipadfever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Flawless multi colored screen


Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi-4G
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 75
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: A1430
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black White Orange Blue Pink
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: BS ( Clown factory)

Last edited by Ipadfever; Apr 29, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Ipadfever is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:43 AM   #209
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68040
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi-4G
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,2
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 9 (March)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: A1430
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

Some slight backlight bleed on the left hand side of the screen detectable only when used in complete darkness with a black screen and max brightness but the white is pure and there is no yellowing.
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 05:31 PM   #210
Wooddd
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Serial number: DLXH...
Name: iPad 3
Model Number: MC076
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 3 (January)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL

And the screen is like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70ww4nbv2q...%2033%2059.jpg
Wooddd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:30 PM   #211
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Got mine replaced due to the home button not working correctly. Week 17 DM...actually this screen is better then one I just had.
rmeadejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #212
dekoder
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
2nd one, very bad back light bleed. Going to change. I also notice it is yellowish.
---------------------
Name: iPad 3
Model Number: MC076
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 16 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DY Please tell us where this machine is manufactured.
------------------------------
dekoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #213
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 7 (February)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

I have a slight overall yellow tint, only noticeable on mostly white backgrounds. Other than that, screen has no issues.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:53 AM   #214
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
is anybody on Week 17- DY ? would like to know how is the screen display on week 17-DY ?
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 07:33 AM   #215
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
I have a DL week 6 and after 7 iPads all with varying issues including a DY week 14 this is pretty near perfect as far as I can see. No obvious dust and good even screen. Minor case imperfection but not a big deal.

The later week ones were actually worse than the early ones. The first one I had was week 6 DL but the screen was awful. Given the one I have is the same week and purchased only a few days ago I wonder if they do indeed cure in some way.
__________________
Far far too much Apple kit to admit to!
Dlanod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 08:36 AM   #216
VFC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
is anybody on Week 17- DY ? would like to know how is the screen display on week 17-DY ?
I just picked up an April week 17 DY yesterday. The Micro Center near Philadelphia has recently received a few models into inventory. When I contacted them, they agreed to go through their stock and sell me a DY prefix. When I got to the store, I spoke to the woman who works in returns and told her I'll be back if I find any issues. I even spoke with the store manager and he said there would be no issue returning the unit, for any or no reason, if I was not satisfied.

So far I have found no dead or stuck pixels, no hair or dust under the screen, no scratches on the back, no dark corners, anti-fingerprint coating is evenly applied, even colors, and the overall screen tint is closer to white. I have a full schedule today, so I won't have time to test out Wifi, heat, light bleed, or screen color under different lighting conditions.

So far, so good.

BTW - The Philadelphia (actually St. Davids, west of Philly) Micro Center (as of yesterday) has stock of all models and colors.

Last edited by VFC; May 6, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:13 PM   #217
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
I just picked up an April week 17 DY yesterday. The Micro Center near Philadelphia has recently received a few models into inventory. When I contacted them, they agreed to go through their stock and sell me a DY prefix. When I got to the store, I spoke to the woman who works in returns and told her I'll be back if I find any issues. I even spoke with the store manager and he said there would be no issue returning the unit, for any or no reason, if I was not satisfied.

So far I have found no dead or stuck pixels, no hair or dust under the screen, no scratches on the back, no dark corners, anti-fingerprint coating is evenly applied, even colors, and the overall screen tint is closer to white. I have a full schedule today, so I won't have time to test out Wifi, heat, light bleed, or screen color under different lighting conditions.

So far, so good.

BTW - The Philadelphia (actually St. Davids, west of Philly) Micro Center (as of yesterday) has stock of all models and colors.
Sounds good, 17DY looks like the lates batch. can you please report on issues like if here is any visible tint of any color Green, Pink or yellow and how is the screen bleeding ? My guess is, it should be there. There is some Bleeding in all the devices only thing to watch out is how severe is it ? DY Seems to be producing good screens is what I Feel !
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #218
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
DY has good screens but some are dusty I'm afraid.
__________________
Far far too much Apple kit to admit to!
Dlanod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 03:42 PM   #219
r-sparks
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
This thread should just stop. Clearly there is no correlation to week builds and quality. If anything, I see even more randomness.
I don't think we should be looking at the manufacturing week. Instead we should be looking at factories, indicated by the first part of the serial (DM, DY, DL etc.)

It seems from responses here that DM serials seem to have universally good screens, although some report backlight bleed as being an issue. But I haven't yet found anybody reporting tinting on a DM serial model.

I look forward to being proved wrong...
r-sparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 11:32 PM   #220
jabbr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Exchanged DY for DM

I had a week 15 DY that had some pretty annoying tint on the upper left corner and pink on the bottom. I exchanged at an apple store for a week 18 DM which has much better uniformity, but still has a similar yellow/darkening issue in the lower left, just not as bad. I'm going to try this one out for a good week and see if it's too distracting. I pointed out the area to a "genius" and he admitted "yeah, it's a total crapshoot right now." I didn't wanna have them go get another brand new box for me so I decided to hold on to it and see if I find it acceptable for reading.

Apple really gave up on quality control here..
jabbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:34 AM   #221
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-sparks View Post
I don't think we should be looking at the manufacturing week. Instead we should be looking at factories, indicated by the first part of the serial (DM, DY, DL etc.)

It seems from responses here that DM serials seem to have universally good screens, although some report backlight bleed as being an issue. But I haven't yet found anybody reporting tinting on a DM serial model.

I look forward to being proved wrong...
Looks pretty Mind Boggling to me !! I have myself seen DY screens, I find them in general good over any other. However the one I picked up which was also a DY had a minor very minor green tint at the bottom left corner. So I was a little unlucky but all the other DY Models that I saw on the display all had good screens wihout any tints and snow whites. Now this new information that DM is better than DY. Makes my head spin. Next time should I go with DY or DM ? However personally I have never seen a DM unit...so cant really comment on that.
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:53 AM   #222
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Looks pretty Mind Boggling to me !! I have myself seen DY screens, I find them in general good over any other. However the one I picked up which was also a DY had a minor very minor green tint at the bottom left corner. So I was a little unlucky but all the other DY Models that I saw on the display all had good screens wihout any tints and snow whites. Now this new information that DM is better than DY. Makes my head spin. Next time should I go with DY or DM ? However personally I have never seen a DM unit...so cant really comment on that.
I had a week 16 DM, 16gb with a great screen. Exchanged it today for a week 17, DY 32gb and this one also had a great screen.....
rmeadejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:01 AM   #223
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Looks pretty Mind Boggling to me !! I have myself seen DY screens, I find them in general good over any other. However the one I picked up which was also a DY had a minor very minor green tint at the bottom left corner. So I was a little unlucky but all the other DY Models that I saw on the display all had good screens wihout any tints and snow whites. Now this new information that DM is better than DY. Makes my head spin. Next time should I go with DY or DM ? However personally I have never seen a DM unit...so cant really comment on that.
You are fooling yourself if you think you can get a problem free iPad based on a couple of anecdotes about a specific serial number. You are also going to have a tricky time finding a specific serial number in a store, not to mention convincing the store to sell you a specific serial number. Apple stores certainly won't stop what they're doing to hunt for a DY/DM.

As someone who has spent an incredible amount of time analyzing the new iPad's screens, I think you are overthinking it. Just return the thing and wait 6 months.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
So far, so good.
Congrats on finally finding a decent one. If you're feeling brave, crank up the brightness and load this solid grey wallpaper. It will clearly show pink/green areas, if you have them.

Thumb resize.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:07 AM   #224
rmeadejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco-Twin Peaks
[/COLOR]

Congrats on finally finding a decent one. If you're feeling brave, crank up the brightness and load this solid grey wallpaper. It will clearly show pink/green areas, if you have them.

Thumb resize.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this....no pink/green areas for me.
rmeadejr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:24 AM   #225
augustya
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
You are fooling yourself if you think you can get a problem free iPad based on a couple of anecdotes about a specific serial number. You are also going to have a tricky time finding a specific serial number in a store, not to mention convincing the store to sell you a specific serial number. Apple stores certainly won't stop what they're doing to hunt for a DY/DM.

As someone who has spent an incredible amount of time analyzing the new iPad's screens, I think you are overthinking it. Just return the thing and wait 6 months.
Well that is what even my plan of action now, I will atleast wait till August before I get a new device. I dont understand why are we playing a Lotto despite paying the full money !
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I find a call screen layer/template psd for iOS 7 & 6? Spooner83 iOS 7 0 Nov 19, 2013 01:30 PM
Resolved: Help: Can't find source of sound. rustyb99 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Mar 28, 2013 05:24 PM
iPhones produced on week 33 factory C3 AdrainSingapore iPhone 3 Oct 13, 2012 09:27 AM
Screen Issues & Auto Log out? belladonna624 MacBook Pro 0 Jun 17, 2012 09:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC