Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,
probably has been asked before (couldnt find it though..)

Title says it all. Anyone know where to get one?
Got a Mac Pro, looking for quicker file transfers to my iPhone/iPad.

As always, thanks a lot :)

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Not possible. One of the later models of the original iPod (I think it was the 5th gen) removed FireWire support, and it was never restored. No iOS device or current iPod includes FireWire chipsets.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Not possible. One of the later models of the original iPod (I think it was the 5th gen) removed FireWire support, and it was never restored. No iOS device or current iPod includes FireWire chipsets.

wow. thats an eye opener!! ..and a seriously questionable decision by Apple.

Makes syncing 7000 songs a little bit of a pain..

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I think Apple is doing away with firewire in favor of Thunderbolt. Expect more incompatibility with firewire in the future.

not a good sign. at all.
lots of MP owners will be extremely angry about this.
Theres no thunderbolt on the current MP, if an upgraded model comes out.. updating it for a new model will cost several thousands.

Apple is really not looking out for the prosumer at all.

I'm not complaining about Thunderbolt, im complaining about Apples neglect of one of Mac Pros most useful current ports

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
not a good sign. at all.
Theres no thunderbolt on the current MP, if an upgraded model comes out.. updating it for a new model will cost several thousands.

I'm not complaining about Thunderbolt, im complaining about Apples neglect of one of Mac Pros most useful current ports

Why would a prosumer need a Mac Pro? Get a MBP or an iMac if you're just a prosumer.

Didn't this change happen a long time ago?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
not a good sign. at all.

Gotta move with the times. RS232, Centronics (parallel), Floppy, PS/2, FireWire, Optical drives, PATA, VGA... are all either gone or on the way out.

Since it's the Mac Pro I'm sure third party adapters will be available.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Why would a prosumer need a Mac Pro? Get a MBP or an iMac if you're just a prosumer.

Didn't this change happen a long time ago?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but n terms of upgradeability, the MBP and iMac can't even compare to the Mac Pro.

In any case, there has been speculation that Apple may be moving away from the Mac Pro. I haven't heard anything about Firewire 800 vs. Thunderbolt.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
God, haven't we been over the whole Mac Pro debate before? Sadly, that is the only way - USB. Probably the only thing you can do is start it and then take a nice nap.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but n terms of upgradeability, the MBP and iMac can't even compare to the Mac Pro.

Of course, it's one of the best features for a professional. But what does a prosumer need it for, that the alternatives can't do? Besides, you can buy thunderbolt to pci adapters if absolutely required, I know it's more expensive but hopefully it won't always be.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Your best bet, actually would be to sync over wireless if you have an 802.11n network, as you can get faster than USB 2.0 speeds on it (n maxes out at 600Mb/s if you configure your router for a 40MHz channel width). When I synced my iDevices for the first time, I just let them run wirelessly overnight.

Honestly, it's pretty clear that Apple's big play with these devices is to have iCloud and wireless syncing be the primary way to transfer content to and from them, over the long term. With gigabit WiFi on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the next few years, iPhones and iPad don't have a sync port at all, and have perhaps a small charge port (if they don't go with wireless charging outright).

In any case, Firewire was done away with on iPods and iPhones mainly because the majority of users weren't really using it, it was an added expense to include the chip, and also took up a lot of additional space.

Regarding firewire 800: there will be thunderbolt docks that include Firewire 800, USB 3.0 and other ports. So even if Apple chooses to do away with the port on the Macs themselves, third party docks will help you retain compatibility.

This isn't really the place to argue the point (while the camera is impressive for what it is, I wouldn't call iPhones "prosumer" gear), but it's pretty clear that "Prosumers" would be best suited getting a higher-end iMac. Mac Pros, too have their uses for professional applications. In any case, Apple hasn't said either way what they're going to do about FireWire or about the Mac Pro line, so I think ranting about it is a little premature.

Tim Cook's statements lately have been a bit reassuring though. Apple doesn't seem to be going in the "Desktop is dead" direction that Microsoft seems to be going for.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
They went to USB on ipods when they wanted to make them easily compatible with windows systems as most don't have FW. It was actually the smartest thing they could have done.

I have an old firewire wall plug for an old ipod and it won't even charge the iphone or newer ipods.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
...and, in any case, firewire support was just for charging.

Citation? They're apparently not a significant enough group for Apple to separately develop firewire sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.