Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 7, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Television Set to Include Siri and Face-Tracking iSight for FaceTime Calls?

Cult of Mac reports that it has received information from a "well-placed" source who claims to have seen a prototype of the rumored Apple television set. According to the source, the device resembles Apple's current Thunderbolt display but is "much larger" than the 27-inch model currently offered.

Mockup of Apple television set based on Thunderbolt display design
Among the key features reportedly included on the prototype Apple television set is a Siri-enabled iSight camera allowing users to make FaceTime video calls using the device. Addressing the fact that users are likely to sit substantially farther away from the television than they do their computers and mobile devices, the source claims that the camera will be able to automatically detect and track faces, zooming in on them for FaceTime calls even if they move about the room.
Quote:
The Apple HDTV makes FaceTime calls using the built-in iSight camera. The camera is sophisticated, with facial recognition and the ability to zoom into the user's face and follow them as they walk around the room. This allows users to make video calls from the couch across the room, rather than having to stand smack in front of the TV.

In addition, calls are initiated by Siri, the iPhone 4S's virtual assistant. "[Apple] used Siri to make a FaceTime call," the source said.
Apple's rumored television set is widely expected to make extensive use of Siri, a rumor that first surfaced in Jobs' authorized biography, in which he was quoted as saying that he had "finally cracked" the problem of creating an elegant interface for the device. With Jobs calling it "the simplest user interface you could imagine", speculation immediately leapt to Siri, which could allow users to change channels and find shows using only their voice.

The idea of a Siri-enabled television set quickly gained steam with a followup rumor from The New York Times claiming that Apple was indeed working on such a device for a launch in late 2012 or 2013.

Apple has reportedly been working with component suppliers on plans for Apple television sets in recent months, although debate continues as to whether such a product will be ready for launch by late this year, next year, or even 2014.

Article Link: Apple Television Set to Include Siri and Face-Tracking iSight for FaceTime Calls?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
applesith
macrumors 68000

Just announce it already!!!
applesith is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Interesting rumor... it seems a bit early to tell but it would make sense to have Siri enabled as well as face time. Also at least a 40" display size, probably larger. The real question we're after is the price point. Also, who manufactures the display? A lot of households already own a modern HDTV, so Apple needs to bring amazing technology to the table to pick up on the existing market. But I wouldn't expect anything less really.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
nfl46
macrumors 601

2014 would be fine. Take your time, Apple and make this device perfect. I am excited.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
JDee
macrumors 6502a

I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
themcfly
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 included as remote.
themcfly is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by themcfly View Post
iPhone 5 included as remote.
7" iPad would be even cooler.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8
blacktape242
macrumors 6502

take my money........
blacktape242 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #9
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Can almost guarantee there won't be a silver apple on the front. All you'll be able to see is the display. Elegant, simple, and gorgeous.
slrandall is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #10
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Content, content, content.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
shandyman
macrumors 601

I expected FaceTime on this to have facetracking since the Xbox with kinect can do video calls over MSN has facetracking on it.
shandyman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Advil
macrumors 6502a

watch them put that same little VGA camera on this too...
Old May 7, 2012, 10:54 AM   #13
byke
macrumors 6502a

I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14
moebis
macrumors member

I already use my iPad 3 with my iBackFlip Somersault and Apple TV using airplay to do the same thing. Hands free too.

EDIT: For those who were asking what is a Somersault: http://ibackflip.com

Last edited by moebis; May 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
moebis is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Virgo
macrumors 6502

This is all getting a little too 1984 for me...
Old May 7, 2012, 10:57 AM   #16
peteullo
macrumors regular

Multi Touch remote. End of story. Place my bet now!
peteullo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:58 AM   #17
fabian9
macrumors 65816

I really don't know about the idea of controlling the TV by using Siri. It just seems like a bit of a flawed idea as soon as there is more than one person in the room who may be talking at the same time.

More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:58 AM   #18
jman240
macrumors 6502a

While I love Apple and all, this seems like a market that isn't in as much of a need of an overhaul as the tablet/phone markets were.

That being said, I think this is a good benchmark to compare a currently fictional Apple TV to. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...0FXZA-features

Then again, we've all been wrong in the past and Apple loves to wow us with things we didn't know we wanted in the first place. Just seems to me like they're going to be facing some very stiff competition in TVs beyond what they've seen in any recent ventures.

Last edited by jman240; May 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
jman240 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:58 AM   #19
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
What's more interesting to me is how they will deal with interacting with video sources from other devices. I'm sure it'll have some sort of Apple TV system built in. But how can you control say your Satellite or Cable box with Siri. What about your Blu-Ray player. Even if Apple wants to try and ignore that people still subscribe to TV or watch DVDs or Blu-Rays, they have to be thinking of a way to 'control it all'. Or at least making it less complicated... even if only a select amount of devices / models can be controlled via HDMI it would be a start.

It may be impossible (or ugly if you have to use a bunch of IR leads and extenders) but that's what is most interesting about this TV set. How it will interact with your other non-Apple devices. Jobs was famous on saying how nobody will beat the cable company since they offer you a box for free with the service. If their HDTV is Apple's 'box' (and let's say maybe their Apple TV as well) then they have a way into the living room. But more importantly they have a way to be the 1st thing you see when you turn on your TV.

Very fun to think about...
LimeiBook86 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?
Um..Samsung ALREADY has this face recognition, voice control, and gesture control:

http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-smart-tv/#navigation

So who's copying who?
Tones2 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #21
supremedesigner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.
I don't know about you but I do remembered that most companies are pricing their `so-called tablet` at 1k or more before iPad was even announced at $499! Who knows if they'll do the same thing for TV

My prediction:
It might be priced at $199 (yes, $199, not $1999, mind you) for 50" if you signed up for premium cable tv. Similar to ATT/Verizon for 2 years contract.
supremedesigner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Supermacguy
macrumors regular

If it's using Siri, Siri had better have **SOME** baked-in functionality, none of this internet-required BS. The last thing I want from a TV is "Sorry I can't take requests right now" when all I want is to turn the channel!
Supermacguy is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #23
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Worst mock-up ever.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #24
Konrad9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
That and you can't walk around with it to show people how hip and rich you are. Apple makes great products, I just picked up a Mini and it's fantabulous, but 90% of the Apple market these days are people who buy them because it's the cool thing to own. Remember the RAZR? Same thing.

If you can't show the rest of the people on the subway that you own an expensive Mac, what's the point?

Edit:
Love getting voted down for speaking the truth.

Last edited by Konrad9; May 7, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Konrad9 is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #25
ivladster
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion