Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #26
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

70" please

Plus gimme a 4TB HDD inside for storing Por...err sports.
nuckinfutz is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #27
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
With Jobs calling it "the simplest user interface you could imagine", speculation immediately leapt to Siri, which could allow users to change channels and find shows using only their voice.
I tend to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The idea of a Siri-enabled television set quickly gained steam with a followup rumor from The New York Times claiming that Apple was indeed working on such a device for a launch in late 2012 or 2013.
That says nothing.
Giuly is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #28
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.
I agree that price will make it tough for Apple, unless they can blow the competition away with screen quality. Which I see as unlikely, becuase I doubt they will be manufacturing the screens themselves. Good luck though!
Old May 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #29
tatonka
macrumors 6502

I still can't imagine any of those TV rumors being true .. but I learned to keep my mouth shut until after the announcements. I just hope that it is a product for the world, not a US only thing (like a lot of the Apple TV extras today are, i.e. Hulu, Netflix and so on).

T.
tatonka is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #30
JacaByte
macrumors 6502

Has anybody else wondered what Bane is doing in my living room?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
Can almost guarantee there won't be a silver apple on the front. All you'll be able to see is the display. Elegant, simple, and gorgeous.
Well the Apple logo is basically what your paying for though?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:06 AM   #32
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

The thing I (and most consumers) like about TVs is that most of the time they're simple. You don't have to be bombarded with updates. It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. You set it up once and you're done for the next 20 years. That's why Samsungs, Panasonics, and Sonys work just fine.

Apple doesn't have a market here. It's not like a cell phone, tablet, or computer. The user/machine interface for a TV is kept a minimum versus those other products. On a TV you turn it on, and change the channel or input. Can Apple really improve the experience of changing the channel? I doubt it.
GREEN4U is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:06 AM   #33
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman240 View Post
While I love Apple and all, this seems like a market that isn't in as much of a need of an overhaul as the tablet/phone markets were.

That being said, I think this is a good benchmark to compare a currently fictional Apple TV to. http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...UE55ES8000UXXU

Then again, we've all been wrong in the past and Apple loves to wow us with things we didn't know we wanted in the first place. Just seems to me like they're going to be facing some very stiff competition in TVs beyond what they've seen in any recent ventures.
Yes, I can't imagine Apple having a better quality TV itself than Samsung or LG, unless it's of course built by them, and even then it would probably be somewhat behind Samsung's / LG's current offerings. And the quality of the TV is the most important thing. As as you can see, Samsung already has all the face recognition / gestures / voice control built in, and LG is coming soon. Lastly, both are planning to have a highly revised Google TV built in which is much better than the current Apple TV "box" offering, the latter of which is basically comparable to the built in apps og most TV's over the last 3 years.

So the Apple TV news here is anything but revolutionary.
Tones2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:06 AM   #34
gri
macrumors 6502a

Could this be a new 30'+ monitor that can also be used as a TV?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #35
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
Can almost guarantee there won't be a silver apple on the front. All you'll be able to see is the display. Elegant, simple, and gorgeous.
The apple would make a nice LED like Vizio has in their models. It changes color when it's on and off.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #36
ristlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivladster View Post
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.
Agreed. Even the 27'' iMac is heavy as heck.
ristlin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #37
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Siri enabled? Pass...
Old May 7, 2012, 11:09 AM   #38
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.
I think I remember a similar comment about an obscure product called....what was it now....iPhone I think. Some such device...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Siri enabled? Pass...
Siri Enabled.....SOLD!
Old May 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #39
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteullo View Post
Multi Touch remote. End of story. Place my bet now!
I doubt that this is going to be done but it's actually a great idea. It's be way cool to adjust TV screen size, or picture in picture, or TV menu content, or built in internet browser scrolling or zooming. Go ahead and put a patent claim on that.
Tones2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #40
Celf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?
Well I guess you haven't seen the latest Samsung TV sets. They almost don't have a bezel anymore and only about 1.2 inch deep. I hope this is not the real Apple TV design, it would be very 2009...
Celf is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:12 AM   #41
ramuman
macrumors regular

Quote:
I doubt it's going to be made out of aluminum, that's going to be too heavy. It has to be ultra thin and light like modern LED tvs.
Yeah, Aluminum is known to be a heavy and weak material. It would certainly never be used in situations where weight and strength were considerations.
ramuman is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:12 AM   #42
bushido
macrumors 603

call me old fashioned but i dont wanna talk to my tv, its the only time of the day where i can just shut up and sit down. its already bothering me on my xbox kinect, it was cool at first but got annoying after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
I think I remember a similar comment about an obscure product called....what was it now....iPhone I think. Some such device...

----------

the difference being that not everyone buys a new tv every few years unlike a phone
Old May 7, 2012, 11:13 AM   #43
Hardtimes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebis View Post
I already use my iPad 3 with my iBackFlip Somersault and Apple TV using airplay to do the same thing. Hands free too.

EDIT: For those who were asking what is a Somersault: http://ibackflip.com
That has to be the most douchey thing i have ever seen.

If I saw someone using one of those I think I would just shrink up into a ball on the floor and close my eyes until they were gone out of embarrassment for mankind.
Hardtimes is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:14 AM   #44
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?
Considering it will probably be an Apple branded Samsung TV anyways...
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #45
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
I really don't know about the idea of controlling the TV by using Siri. It just seems like a bit of a flawed idea as soon as there is more than one person in the room who may be talking at the same time.

More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?
This is easy. You have to "call" it. If there's only one person in the room, there's no need to call the TV. As soon as the second person walks into the room, the proper protocol is to call it. Once the TV is called, only that person's voice will be able to control the TV. Once that person leaves, the remaining people in the room will need to call the TV to obtain control.

It's easy. This is how it worked in the 80's and this is how it'll work in the 10's.

ft
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #46
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
But how can you control say your Satellite or Cable box with Siri. What about your Blu-Ray player. Even if Apple wants to try and ignore that people still subscribe to TV or watch DVDs or Blu-Rays, they have to be thinking of a way to 'control it all'. Or at least making it less complicated... even if only a select amount of devices / models can be controlled via HDMI it would be a start.
You won't need a cable box/blue-ray player.

I think the real revolution will come in terms of content.
osx11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #47
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzo_5q_dhIM

Yup... it’s coming.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #48
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Weight is definitely more important with a television than it would be with computers, as it allows for easier wall mounting.

Anyway I think these rumors are reading way too far into very little information.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #49
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post

More importantly, how would I make sure the power of controlling the programme being watched stays with me!?
This is such a fabricated problem. Before remotes and of course still today, anybody can go up to the TV to change the channel. It's called common courtesy.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:16 AM   #50
diamond.g
macrumors 603

I am still more interested in knowing it the TV will be edge lit LED or Full Array LED. Though I would rather it be either Plasma or OLED for PQ.
diamond.g is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion