Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
The thing I (and most consumers) like about TVs is that most of the time they're simple. You don't have to be bombarded with updates. It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. You set it up once and you're done for the next 20 years. That's why Samsungs, Panasonics, and Sonys work just fine.

Apple doesn't have a market here. It's not like a cell phone, tablet, or computer. The user/machine interface for a TV is kept a minimum versus those other products. On a TV you turn it on, and change the channel or input. Can Apple really improve the experience of changing the channel? I doubt it.

I think where Apple might have an Edge is with an app store. IF they go that route. A multi-touch control that would allow IOS games and things to run on the TV would be a BIG selling point. Apple is all Ecosystem all the time. I'm sure this set would have all the features of the Apple TV and then some.

But you're point about the internet is valid. Though, most people aren't without internet at home or wi-fi these days. So it's not a niche market either.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
There's actually 2 arguments here. This will (imho) then direct Apple on which direction to go:

1. If Apple wants to take on UI issues (as well as add "cool" UI/functionality), then they'll go with an actual TV. Why?

For example, if Apple wanted to add Facetime, they'll need a camera of some kind. A stand alone Apple TV (like the current "puck") won't do. Why? Because Apple *prefers* all-in-ones. They don't want the user to wire their TV (and thereby their entertainment system) with additional wires

2. It's about content.

If Apple is only going on the track of "content," then there's absolutely no need to create an actual TV.

Perhaps, it is both, but in my book the game of TV is really about content more than anything. People keep bringing up the current services of Apple TV, Google TV, etc. The problem? Sports - namely the NFL.

Also, dealing with cable and satellite companies are a complete nightmare. IMHO, if Apple *really* wants to make a dent, then everything needs to be over IP independent of the Cable/Satellite providers as well as a la carte/always on/no DVR but all content available at all times. If not, then what difference is Apple really making here?

w00master

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I wonder how long after it released Samsung will offer something similar with the exact same features but with a rounder bezel claiming its completely different?

How do you know Sammy isn't already developing one?

WHy do so many here assume that Apple is the technology creator, when in fact many times they take what is already out there and repackage it, market the heck out of it, and then call it magical.

Samsung smart TV's are and have been out there for awhile now and are excellent tv's. They already do much of what Apple will claim to have invented.

And yes I am an Apple fan and have many of their products in my home, but I'm not blind either.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Why does everyone on here care so much about what Samsung does? Really... how does it actually affect your life? I'm sure some of your friends own a Samsung phone or device, do you think they're bad people because of said device?

Isn't anyone tired of this back and forth trashing of Apple fans and Samsung fans? I am. I could care less about what Samsung copies or what Apple copies. Who really cares besides the lawyers, Apple and Samsung?

How does it honestly affect you?

w00master

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
But Samsung's implementation of their Android phones.....I would definitely NOT WANT 4"X10 of the same horrible glitchy tech. No thank you. :eek:

My Sammy phone with the 5+ inch screen suits my needs better than the IP4 I got rid of. Sometimes having an open mind allows one to actually consider alternatives.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I don't know if Apple can expect consumers to pay a premium for a TV like this. Nowadays, you can get a (good brand) 40" TV for around £350 - and I don't think consumers would want to pay any higher than this.

It can't be a regular Teli. What ever it is is going to have to be more like an iPad like device with way more built in. I don't think this is coming out any time soon, and exactly why apple would do a tv and not add this to the next gen or two iMac is even more strange. After all how is Apple going to sell iTV 2 and 3 and 4.

----------

Why does everyone on here care so much about what Samsung does? Really... how does it actually affect your life? I'm sure some of your friends own a Samsung phone or device, do you think they're bad people because of said device?

Isn't anyone tired of this back and forth trashing of Apple fans and Samsung fans? I am. I could care less about what Samsung copies or what Apple copies. Who really cares besides the lawyers, Apple and Samsung?

How does it honestly affect you?

w00master

Actually its a lot of fun reading fangirls tit for tat even if it does get old. ;)

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA

This reminds me of a device called "telescreen" from some book that I once read.

Exactly, I don't think I want my TV watching me. Don't get me wrong, I will buy the Apple Television Set someday, but the first thing I will do is paste a nice yellow sticky over the camera.

So much for high design.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
70" please

Plus gimme a 4TB HDD inside for storing Por...err sports.
70" desperately needs a retina-like display. @ 1080p, I can see square pixels.
Source: Sharp 70".

And why stop there? Put in some real computer hardware to act as a giant iMac. :)

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Aha...I talk to the box, the box watches me. I bet I will not be able to watch local news life from Ulaanbaatar or a cooking show from RTSR how to make a good fondue at will from any global location so it will be utherly useless. When in the states, where tv is heavily censored all I want is occasionally turn on Larry David which I can manage without apple ideas. I think I will go this Wednesday to Croatia for a bit, with o tv at all...

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Actually its a lot of fun reading fangirls tit for tat even if it does get old. ;)

It's been old for me for a very long time. I went through the PC vs Mac phase. I remember all of the back and forth arguments (heck they still happen), but guess what? Both are still around. Both have their users. We are all still alive. Why? Because at the end of the day and in the grand scheme of things, these "debates" are silly and honestly dumb.

Just like iOS vs Android

Just like Apple vs Samsung

Just like Apple vs Google.

I could care less who is copying who. I just want the best technological device/experience for me. If Apple needs to copy Google for a feature for this to happen... GREAT. If Samsung needs to copy Apple to move the needle further in Tech...? GREAT.

These "fights" / "debates" are pointless. They don't affect the general user (e.g. most of us on MacRumors and other Tech sites). It's just an exercise in futility.

w00master

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I don't understand why you would want or even need a remote. It would be nice if all I had to do was say "show me all baseball games that are on tonight" and then a list pops up and i can say "schedule an alert on my phone to let me know when the braves game starts. Also, record the game".

I think the whole point, as hinted in Jobs' biography, is that a physical remote is no longer necessary.

I would love not having to find the remote when changing channels, increasing volume, or scheduling a show...That is the re-invention of the television.

WHile I agree it would be nice, I also think that there would be plenty of times i would not want to have to speak to change the tv channel. SOmetimes It's easier just pushing the buttons on the remote.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
While I love Apple and all, this seems like a market that isn't in as much of a need of an overhaul as the tablet/phone markets were.

That being said, I think this is a good benchmark to compare a currently fictional Apple TV to. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55ES8000FXZA-features

Then again, we've all been wrong in the past and Apple loves to wow us with things we didn't know we wanted in the first place. Just seems to me like they're going to be facing some very stiff competition in TVs beyond what they've seen in any recent ventures.

So how does it really work, anyone has one that can say its worth the price, it all looks good on photoshop :rolleyes: all of it. ;)

dstankus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
If they're going to try to make me control my TV with that silly Siri thing then I think I'll sit this one out.

That would be a rare miscue from a company like Apple that much more often than not "gets it right."

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
If they're going to try to make me control my TV with that silly Siri thing then I think I'll sit this one out.

That would be a rare miscue from a company like Apple that much more often than not "gets it right."

well i doubt it's not going to be solely controlled by Siri, i would assume optional, like iPhone...

unknownart

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Texas
Who watches the watchers?

There was a 70's tv movie or show where the hero went into the future, and it was a very totalitarian government, and the host turned to the time traveller and whispered, "Be careful, not only do you watch the television, but IT watches YOU!"
be prepared to be in the future momentarily, now. :eek:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Maybe for that one Siri will go from Beta mode to Gamma mode, but will not be ready for a real release for some time to come.

While others sing Siri's praises, I can't find much use for it other than amusement of Siri not understanding.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I think where Apple might have an Edge is with an app store. IF they go that route. A multi-touch control that would allow IOS games and things to run on the TV would be a BIG selling point. Apple is all Ecosystem all the time.
How many iOS games are designed to be played with the player holding a controller and looking at a separate screen though? Shooters and racing games could be fairly easily modified but the vast majority of iOS games are designed for a touch interface. Even if the controller had multi-touch features it would still need to be primarily thumbsticks and buttons since the player is going to be looking at the TV and not the controller.

Last edited:

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Yes, I can't imagine Apple having a better quality TV itself than Samsung or LG, unless it's of course built by them, and even then it would probably be somewhat behind Samsung's / LG's current offerings. And the quality of the TV is the most important thing. As as you can see, Samsung already has all the face recognition / gestures / voice control built in, and LG is coming soon. Lastly, both are planning to have a highly revised Google TV built in which is much better than the current Apple TV "box" offering, the latter of which is basically comparable to the built in apps og most TV's over the last 3 years.

So the Apple TV news here is anything but revolutionary.

Considering that the current technical hurdle for TV manufacturers is making a more realistic 3D experience, Apple or any other company, can get into the game by buying a panel from Samsung or whoever and re-brand it and have a decent product out of the box. To me improving 3D is not as big a challenge as pushing beyond 1080P along with similar or just slightly higher cost. Which is to say, there are higher resolution technologies out there, but they are all expensive, JMHO.

But I don't think that that is what Jobs saw as the "great opportunity" in making the TV experience better. It of course has to be in the interface. In regard to that, we shall see if Jobs' vision results in a revolutionary product or not.

Maybe they'll figure out a better way to combine technologies of TV, computer, gaming console, DVR and phone into a single device. Maybe different enough to be "revolutionary". We shall see.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
you know what would **** with the Cable providers??

Six months free subscription to netflix et al with every new Apple Television set...
I hate to be the guy to crash the party, but the cable and satellite providers concatenate subscriber fees and pay them to networks so they stay in business with "moderate" ad revenues. The folks in cable aren't making much already, so just like the book thing, there needs to be a preserved revenue stream.

Don't expect free. Target $50 a month for content and $30 a month for access all in commodity pricing.

Apple has no objection to "networks" selling content and PPV.

Apple wants:
The hardware-software interface sale
A content purchase gateway
A PPV gateway so frictionless you may buy there if you are convenience focused
A related product sales gateway

They are fine with content owners and even competitive sellers with some added friction.

I don't know if Apple coined frictionless, but they made it a business model.

Rocketman

Last edited:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
The thing I (and most consumers) like about TVs is that most of the time they're simple. You don't have to be bombarded with updates. It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. You set it up once and you're done for the next 20 years. That's why Samsungs, Panasonics, and Sonys work just fine.

Apple doesn't have a market here. It's not like a cell phone, tablet, or computer. The user/machine interface for a TV is kept a minimum versus those other products. On a TV you turn it on, and change the channel or input. Can Apple really improve the experience of changing the channel? I doubt it.

You also generally don't upgrade a TV every 6-12 months which is the Apple model. I cannot see this being anything like as successful as they're used to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.