Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collaboration

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Planning to upgrade ram on early 2011 MBP15 - from 4 to 8GB

Am I able to use that 4GB ram on the latest model MBA11? It's got 2GB at the moment (it's the lowest spec MBA)

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Planning to upgrade ram on early 2011 MBP15 - from 4 to 8GB

Am I able to use that 4GB ram on the latest model MBA11? It's got 2GB at the moment (it's the lowest spec MBA)

Because the MBA ram isn't upgradable the cheapest upgrade path is selling your existing AIR and buying a new one with more RAM. Unfortunately 4gb is your only other choice at the moment. Perhaps apple will offer a model with more than 4gb in 2012 but you may have to get a MBP to get 8gb or more. If the rumored thiner MBPs come out this year that may serve you well.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
It is possible if you're brave and handy with a soldering iron, otherwise it's best to steer clear.

I seem to remember at some point a link to a video showing a guy who'd successfully demonstrated it being done and working.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It is possible if you're brave and handy with a soldering iron, otherwise it's best to steer clear.

I seem to remember at some point a link to a video showing a guy who'd successfully demonstrated it being done and working.

I'd like to see that video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.