Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Kenaudio
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Send a message via Skype™ to Kenaudio
Buy Aperture 3 or wait?

Hi there,

I hope my thread is correct in this forum.
I am about to buy Aperture 3 but I heard it through the grape-apple-wine that there might be version 4 coming really soon.
What do you think about this rumor?

Hot
Weak
Either
?

Thanks in advance and cheers from sunny evening Hamburg!!
KA
__________________
MacBook Intel Core Duo, iPhone 4GS, iBook, Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882, A-Designs Pacifica
Music for Video & Movies
Music for Video, Movies & Podcasts

Last edited by Kenaudio; May 7, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Sorry, I just noticed that I put it into hardware:(...can you change that? Thank u
Kenaudio is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/appl...=9781133788904
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030
 
Amazing Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Great Tip!
Thanks!
__________________
17" MacBook Pro (2007) iPad Air WiFi+Cell 128 GB iPhone 5s 64 GB T-Mobile AppleTV 2
Follow @AmazingIceman for useful tech info and more (mention MacRumors).
Amazing Iceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
I hope that link is solid.

It's been over two years. Aperture 4 should be close if historic refresh cycles remain similar
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000
 
jetjaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new jersey
I've been considering buying aperture 3 now for awhile but I figured I would hold out until apple updates it. I am still considering though going to Lightroom 4 since I might be making the switch to CS6 for editing.
__________________
27" iMac | iPhone 6+ | iPad Air | aTV
jetjaguar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:51 PM   #6
whiteonline
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
All this means is someone intends to possibly come out with a book if the program appears. Equivalent to domain squatting...
whiteonline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteonline View Post
All this means is someone intends to possibly come out with a book if the program appears. Equivalent to domain squatting...
Note quite. It's taking pre-orders and has an ISBN number which must be applied for so it's a bit more than just a placeholder IMO .
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 05:14 PM   #8
talmy
macrumors 601
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Different publisher and publication date on Amazon.com. And you can't preorder it there.

Link to Amazon.com
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an unused Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 07:35 PM   #9
toften
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Just buy it in the AppStore, then an upgrade to 4 (whenever it comes) will be free.
toften is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020
 
Kebabselector's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by toften View Post
Just buy it in the AppStore, then an upgrade to 4 (whenever it comes) will be free.
Are you sure about this?
__________________
Mac Mini 1.66Ghz/2gb - 2.3/i5/8gb - MacBook 2.0Ghz/2gb
iPhone 6 64gb - iPad Mini Retina 16gb wifi
Others: Canon Eos Stuff - Passat B6 - Smeg - Firewire devices - Prefers Matte
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Kenaudio
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Send a message via Skype™ to Kenaudio
Toften...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toften View Post
Just buy it in the AppStore, then an upgrade to 4 (whenever it comes) will be free.
I'd like to ask the same......
Are you sure about it and where do you know that from?

Cheers,
KA
__________________
MacBook Intel Core Duo, iPhone 4GS, iBook, Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882, A-Designs Pacifica
Music for Video & Movies
Music for Video, Movies & Podcasts
Kenaudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaudio View Post
I'd like to ask the same......
Are you sure about it and where do you know that from?

Cheers,
KA
I'm sure it's not true. Expect the update price to be around $79, i.e., no discount for future versions. An exception would be if A4 is released with 2-4 weeks of purchase.

Strictly speaking A4 is well overdue, assuming that updates should be expected within 2 years of each version. Apple is secretive, perhaps too secretive so we don't know what the future is for this product since apple's focus is on consumer stuff, no the Pro market. If you have been waiting for a MacPro update after two years then you know the frustration - which wouldn't be too bad if the prices dropped as their costs go down ($2,500 for a base MP with only 3gb of ram, and $375 to upgrade that ram to 8gb which costs about $50 everywhere else).

Anyway, the lack of information, not so much when but to some degree, if, there is an upgrade is forcing some of use to move over or seriously consider Lightroom 4 for only $149 (of $99 if purchased with CS6 upgrade). Adobe will upgrade their products like clockwork.

I am a A3 user and tired of not knowing if apple will support or try to be competitive. As such I will likely move over to LR4 in the near future. I'm tired of not knowing if there will be a next update. Of course their is a learning curve but there is also comfort in knowing that the product tries to stay on the cutting edge and the company is dedicated to photographers at all levels.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM (2010), 750GB WD Scorpio Black + NEC 26" LCD2690W2-BK-SV Monitor
iPhone 5 iPad2 Wi-Fi
Vantage Point is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Kenaudio
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Send a message via Skype™ to Kenaudio
I suppose...

....we need to wait until THIS EVENT is over...
__________________
MacBook Intel Core Duo, iPhone 4GS, iBook, Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882, A-Designs Pacifica
Music for Video & Movies
Music for Video, Movies & Podcasts
Kenaudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Medic278
macrumors 6502a
 
Medic278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
I would buy Aperture 3, I bought it and its an excellent product. It is nice and user friendly and almost anyone can figure out how to use it. You won't be disappointed if you decide to pull the trigger on this one.
__________________
2011 13" MacBook Pro 240GB Intel 520 SSD | 2011 11" MacBook Air 128SSD | 2011 27"iMac |
64gb+3g iPad1 | 16gb iPhone 4 | TV 2 |
Medic278 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy now or wait it out? Kylekest MacBook Air 15 Jan 30, 2014 06:58 PM
Should I wait to see if there is a December release of Aperture 4? Villain101 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 23 Jan 12, 2014 12:32 AM
Aperture 3 now, or wait for 4? killwilly Digital Photography 10 Sep 18, 2013 04:48 AM
iPad: Buy now or wait? Harp77 iPad 12 Jul 23, 2013 06:54 PM
Buy or wait? vjicecool MacBook Air 20 Jul 4, 2012 04:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC