Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #201
praetorian909
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
I didn't notice this until after installing 5.1.1 on my iPad 3 just now, but remember the nice animation you get when you split the keyboard on the iPad? I am no longer seeing the animation part and it just splits. Just curious if Apple got rid of this in 5.1 or did they remove it in 5.1.1?
I just tried to check before doing the update: on 5.1 my iPad 1 did the animation where the keyboard slides up and then (I believe I recall it) sliding apart to the left and right. After updating to 5.1.1 it still did the animation of sliding up to the middle of the screen, but now it instantly splits.

Though I'm not totally sure if I remember correctly that the keyboard slid apart for 5.1 (since I didn't know what I was watching for), I can double-check on another iPad running 5.1. But I'm fairly certain you are right, the left/right animation was removed.
praetorian909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:17 PM   #202
caccamolle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by insocal View Post
C'mon, APPLE!
this email push fiasco ......

truly pathetic
caccamolle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:24 PM   #203
WAM2
macrumors 6502a

Enjoying my windows phone here

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:50 PM   #204
photographypro
macrumors regular

Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Wrong. My 4S connecting to a carrier other than AT&T has the enable 3G toggle.

What carrier do you have and in what country?

I'm guessing you don't have ATT in the US of A.
photographypro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:53 PM   #205
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographypro View Post
What carrier do you have and in what country?

I'm guessing you don't have ATT in the US of A.
Yes. I don't live in the USA
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 PM   #206
rman726
macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the jailbreak community recommends not installing this over 5.1? I don't want to install a minor update to find a jailbreak for the iPad 5.1 only become available.

Then again, I don't even know if I want to jailbreak my iPad right now. It does everything I want it to now that I don't need RetinaPad and hotspot.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:08 PM   #207
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post
Enjoying my windows phone here

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Go get him, guys!
bedifferent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:25 PM   #208
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

I just updated to 5.1.1 and noticed my capacity go down by about 300MB (from 24.4GB to 24.1GB) on my 64GB iPhone 4S. I used iTunes to update instead of OTA. Had I used OTA, would the decrease in capacity be less?
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:39 PM   #209
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
I just updated to 5.1.1 and noticed my capacity go down by about 300MB (from 24.4GB to 24.1GB) on my 64GB iPhone 4S. I used iTunes to update instead of OTA. Had I used OTA, would the decrease in capacity be less?
No because it is a delta update, the overall size of the whole OS is still in the same ball park, maybe a few megs bigger or smaller but nothing as drastic as 200 megs smaller. I know, i had the same hopes as well, and i have the 16 gig iphone, so alas, no
Old May 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #210
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjac0m View Post
Take note Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola. This is how software updates are supposed to be deployed.
Yes. I don't see why anyone would use the clunky Android OS.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
Yes, so you pick one instance where a jailbreak dev was ahead of Apple in patching a vulnerability and hold that up as science that all users should jailbreak? Ok...

Does the word ALPINE mean anything to you? I really don't like having to worry about system services and background processes which are normally sealed off completely all of a sudden being exposed, and vulnerable, if measures are not proactively taken to lock them down and secure them.

When you jailbreak you are exposing the entire file system system wide. Do you trust every tweak and app from Cydia or whatever repo(s) you use? It would be incredibly easy for a malicious one to sneak through and you are wide open for the taking. I don't believe it has ever happened, but it could, and that is a risk I'm not willing to take.

We can have the debate over battery life and stability - I believe both are compromised to one degree or another by a jailbreak - at the end of the day, the choice is yours to make. But don't expect your choice to be the default. Just sayin'.
The vulnerability only exists if you install OpenSSH and ignore all of those warnings telling you to change the root password.

It's an SSH vulnerability that people were opening by installing OpenSSH for easier hacking then not changing their passwords. Some poopbag hacked a lot of open iDevices that way.

Still, I do enjoy the security of the App Store. I keep my Cydia usage to a minimum.
faroZ06 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:51 PM   #211
efktd
macrumors regular

did anyone else notice...

while the screen is on, you can now hold up the phone to your ear and just speak to Siri, without pressing and holding the home button?
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:58 PM   #212
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15MBP View Post
Didn't Android have OTA updates first?
Yeah, they had the ability first. But that didnt mean it really worked or that many companies used it. Just sayin

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by efktd View Post
while the screen is on, you can now hold up the phone to your ear and just speak to Siri, without pressing and holding the home button?
You could always do this? Just turn on Raise to speak under the settings for Siri?
Old May 8, 2012, 12:20 AM   #213
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by efktd View Post
You could always do this, and it was enabled by default, but it rarely worked for me. Maybe they improved it?
faroZ06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:26 AM   #214
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
You could always do this, and it was enabled by default, but it rarely worked for me. Maybe they improved it?
It rarely worked for you? Thats weird, mine has worked great since day one for me
Old May 8, 2012, 12:40 AM   #215
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Raise to speak has never worked from me since day one. Have attempted to turn it off, then back on multiple times. Reboots of the phone nor software updates have done anything to fix it
Tyler23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:44 AM   #216
MacMan1620
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupertinoRat View Post
Only a few fixes? Have they fixed the battery life ?
Change your settings if you want longer battery life.. It's a small computer not just a phone Go buy a droid
MacMan1620 is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:59 AM   #217
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Raise to speak has never worked from me since day one. Have attempted to turn it off, then back on multiple times. Reboots of the phone nor software updates have done anything to fix it
That is so odd, i am with you one the confused face, that is incredibly puzzling to me too. Have you just tried a full reset? Like a reset from iTunes restoring the software as a new iPhone. I know that by doing that, you'd lose all your stuff, which isnt ideal, but that may be a decent fix to your problem if you really want Raise to Speak (which it should never come to that really )
Old May 8, 2012, 01:18 AM   #218
BergerFan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
Safari seems snappier.
Ye cannae beat the classics, laddie!
BergerFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:03 AM   #219
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Updated my iPad 3 iPhone 4 and 4S last night and this morning battery percentage on all three are the same as I left them last night.
itsmemuffins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:14 AM   #220
eNJayBe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian909 View Post
I just tried to check before doing the update: on 5.1 my iPad 1 did the animation where the keyboard slides up and then (I believe I recall it) sliding apart to the left and right. After updating to 5.1.1 it still did the animation of sliding up to the middle of the screen, but now it instantly splits.

Though I'm not totally sure if I remember correctly that the keyboard slid apart for 5.1 (since I didn't know what I was watching for), I can double-check on another iPad running 5.1. But I'm fairly certain you are right, the left/right animation was removed.
Just tried it on my 5.1 iPad and it splits and then moves up.
eNJayBe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:29 AM   #221
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

I was hoping they fixed the issue in Safari where a javascript exploit could spoof a website address into the address bar but I noticed that all it does in 5.1.1 is it shows a blank address bar. I hoped Apple could do better than this.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:41 AM   #222
VinegarTasters
macrumors 6502

updating

I saw the update from Settings -> General -> Software update. Tapped the "Learn More", and it described the update. At the bottom where it says...

For information on the security content of this update, pelase visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Has anyone tried clicking on the link? Nothing happens. Why can't you click and read the security information before updating? Shouldn't the browser launch? Instead of doing nothing?

I guess you have to manually copy it and paste somewhere else? Why is the usability so untested?
Old May 8, 2012, 02:52 AM   #223
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
I saw the update from Settings -> General -> Software update. Tapped the "Learn More", and it described the update. At the bottom where it says...

For information on the security content of this update, pelase visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Has anyone tried clicking on the link? Nothing happens. Why can't you click and read the security information before updating? Shouldn't the browser launch? Instead of doing nothing?

I guess you have to manually copy it and paste somewhere else? Why is the usability so untested?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5278
Old May 8, 2012, 03:51 AM   #224
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

I assume they still haven't fixed the worsening text selection (just try to select blank lines or non-alphanumeric characters in Mail since iOS 5.1) nor the bug that obnoxiously & seemingly permanently breaks "Reset Keyboard Dictionary" for a bunch of users each time there's a major OS upgrade (probably permissions get screwed up or something between major OS versions).
dysamoria is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:09 AM   #225
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

Yep. Still broken. This pisses me off.
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion