Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hi there all,

I'm looking to buy a new monitor to work as a extended desk top for my mac book pro and I wanted to know what kind of monitor I should look into. I want to use the new monitor for photo/video editing as well as the usual TV show and Movies.

My question is what kind of monitor should I be looking for? I am on a bit of a budget and there are some good sales going on in Newegg for LCD and backlit LED screen. I have also learned about IPS monitor that depict more accurate color grading. Do LCDs produce better color than LED(or rather backlit LEDs) and I see some IPS monitors not too much more than LCDs. I have just learn about these and wanted to know some of your experiences. Thanks

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not sure how to answer this, because looking at your post, you've got a lot of half accurate information. LED and CCFL and backlighting types. CCFL is still used in higher end displays, because it's easier to calibrate/profile. I'll tell you that I don't have any personal experience with displays underneath the $700ish range. There's an okay NEC at $450, but they are inconsistent. They've always been inconsistent to a degree. They put a lot of features at a pretty low price point, and if you get a good one it's quite nice.

How far off is your macbook display compared to your photos printed or your video? The low end display market is kind of difficult because the margins are terrible for the manufacturers.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure how to answer this, because looking at your post, you've got a lot of half accurate information. LED and CCFL and backlighting types. CCFL is still used in higher end displays, because it's easier to calibrate/profile. I'll tell you that I don't have any personal experience with displays underneath the $700ish range. There's an okay NEC at $450, but they are inconsistent. They've always been inconsistent to a degree. They put a lot of features at a pretty low price point, and if you get a good one it's quite nice.

How far off is your macbook display compared to your photos printed or your video? The low end display market is kind of difficult because the margins are terrible for the manufacturers.

Not too far off, some are okay and the ones that are off are not too crazy. I guess I was looking for another monitor to work from, nothing high end at the moment, and wanted to see if people worked with and liked LCD with LED backlight or not as well as IPS monitors.

Did some more research and came up this forum that basically discusses a similar issue.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/265852-lcd-vs-led-monitors.html

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Acronym hell is hellish, but thekev saved me half my answer.

LCD refers to any display panel that uses Liquid Crystal. Thus LCD = Liquid Crystal Display. That's the top category.

But LCD panels (as we talk about them here) can be made with different technologies: TN and IPS are two sub-categories.

Thus a TN display is an LCD display, and an IPS display is an LCD display as well.

There are LCD TN displays with LED backlighting, and LCD TN displays with CCFL backlighting.

There are LCD IPS displays with LED backlighting, and LCD IPS displays with CCFL backlighting.

Probably what you want to do is first decide between TN and IPS, and then second about the backlighting. Sometimes you have to dig pretty deeply into the manufacturer's specs to see whether it's TN or IPS (and you'll probably find PVA panels as well).

Don't go only by panel size, either. Be sure to check the resolution, because you'll surely find some attractively-priced large displays that have coarse resolution, and this might not work for you.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
IPS is the way to go if you are doing an image editing, which you are. It has better viewing angles, so the colours stay more consistent as you move your head around.

TN has the advantages of being cheaper and has faster response times, so good for gaming.

LED backlighting uses less energy, so it cheaper to run and produces less heat. It is also lighter to carry around. It used to be more expensive to buy because it was new technology, but it is trending towards being cheaper as it is easier to manufacture now it is being produced in volume.

CCFL backlighting has a tendency to be more consistent across the screen, and as mentioned, is a bit easier to calibrate.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Interesting. Thanks for the response. The monitor I am seeking is a second monitor to my MBP. What kind of screen in the MBP? I am going to be using it to editor photos and video but also for a lot of everyday things like movies, maybe some games etc. I am on a budget and would like something for overall for the time being. What do you think I should look into getting?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Also don't discount PVA type panels. Some of them are quite good and they're excellent for photo work. They're a bit slower in response time than an IPS panel, but nothing extreme enough to be noticeable in most situations.

I'm with thekev regarding panel backlighting. CCFL is generally the best for maintaining calibration and you'll find that the majority of high-end panels built for color accuracy continue to use CCFL.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Not too far off, some are okay and the ones that are off are not too crazy. I guess I was looking for another monitor to work from, nothing high end at the moment, and wanted to see if people worked with and liked LCD with LED backlight or not as well as IPS monitors.

Did some more research and came up this forum that basically discusses a similar issue.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/265852-lcd-vs-led-monitors.html

I thought I had responded to this for some reason. Anyway I can't find the white papers around right now, and they're quite old. A typical issue with LED was color stability. Overall you're likely to see more consistent results from a ccfl backlit IPS display assuming you get a good one. LCD displays have come a long way in terms of controllable color, so there are some okay options without spending a lot.

You're actually getting some really good/accurate responses in this thread. Moonjumper is correct in that it was an expensive new feature initially. Now it shows up in $100-200 displays on newegg. If it was still a significant cost factor, this just wouldn't happen.

Anyway for now I'd personally avoid anything using LED to provide the primary picture in favor of the more mature technology type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.