Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I have an Apline CDM-9801 deck in my car, which was purchased so I could play my then-new 3rd Gen iPod 40gb in it. That worked fine for years, with that and my 1st gen Touch. When I got the iPhone 4s though, I could play but not charge. My original cable was the Monster iCharge low profile. What I didn't know until last night though, is that the Monster cable (and pix and the original packaging don't even show this) is a 2 port RCA cable.

My deck needs to use a special cable to allow for the aux input (see link to pic below). I've been successfully paying the phone through the car, but when I use GPS it kills the battery and I really needed to find a play/charge solution.

This is what I ordered Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1AU0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
Kensington 2 in 1 charger and audio cable

Awesome news - it fits with my Otterbox Commuter. It charges. It plays!!

Here is the problem with the old cable:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4JYGPwLHlT1/p_500KCM122B/Alpine-KCM-122B.html

New cable has one port, as do most that I see. I had no idea my old Monster Cable had two inputs until we pulled the deck out and unwrapped everything.

So I can only plug into one RCA and I only get sound out of one side of the car. I can select right side or left though. :rolleyes:

Will this work to give me all my speakers back?
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3...TF8&colid=28CDT0HIBYPI2&coliid=I3DSW5U02KTYSD

Any thoughts on how to fix this without buying a newer deck? (I'm already going to have to buy a new deck for my other car). I did look at the adapters that would let my old cable charge, but it just seemed like it would have too much weight hanging off the dock.

Thanks!

Diane

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Use a charge adapter. It's what I use in one of my cars.

EDIT: Sorry, missed that last paragraph the first time.

New cable has one port, as do most that I see.
The Kensington has one plug. The plug is stereo (indicated by the two black "bands" on the plug). You'd need a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter if you want to use the Kensington solution with the Aux adapter for your existing head unit.

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Use a charge adapter. It's what I use in one of my cars.

EDIT: Sorry, missed that last paragraph the first time.

The Kensington has one plug. The plug is stereo (indicated by the two black "bands" on the plug). You'd need a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter if you want to use the Kensington solution with the Aux adapter for your existing head unit.

Thanks! So that Mediabridge should work!

What do you think about the adapter and which one did you try? My phone is in a holder so everything hangs below it. Even though I wire tied it up, there is still some weight on it. I don't really want to cause damage to the dock. If the phone just lay on the seat or in a console it wouldn't worry me as much.

The cable Y adapter is still my first choice. I also like that the Kensington works with my case! :)

Thanks!
Diane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.