Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att-150x156.jpg

Last year, both AT&T and Verizon acknowledged that they were working on offering shared data plans, which would allow multiple devices owned by a single user or members of a family to draw data from a single monthly allotment. But while there has been evidence that Verizon is making progress on its plans, AT&T has been relatively quiet about its efforts aside from acknowledging that billing and other issues were complicating the work.

CNET now reports, however, that AT&T may be close to launching its shared data plans. The news comes from AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega, who indicates that the carrier knows what it intends to offer to its customers.
"I'm very comfortable with the plan that will be offered to our customers," de la Vega said on the sidelines of his company's home security and automation event at the CTIA Wireless trade show. [...]

He said the company knows how the plan would be structured. He, however, declined to provide any specific details on timing, and wouldn't comment on whether it would be out in the next few months or if AT&T would beat Verizon Wireless to the punch.
Shared "family plans" for voice minutes have been available for quite some time, and a similar mechanism for sharing data seems to be a natural evolution. But aside from sharing data among family members, even individuals could see a benefit from the plans, which would allow them to subscribe to a single monthly data allotment that could be used with their iPhone, iPad, and perhaps even a USB modem or mobile hotspot device.

Article Link: AT&T's Plans for Shared Data Packages Firming Up

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
This is would useful in my family plan where some lines use a lot of data whereas some barely use anything.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Watch. Just watch. AT&T and Verizon will announce shared data plans within a week of each other. They could have done this long ago, but play off each other lock step as if there were "competition."
I wait to see how the math works out, but I would be shocked if a family will save more than $5-$10 for the privilege of 'sharing" data.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
This is would useful in my family plan where some lines use a lot of data whereas some barely use anything.
Same! It could potentially cut ~$60 in data costs down to half, give or take, which would be awesome.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
I would most likely give up my unlimited data plan if a shared plan came out (well of course at the right price)

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
And text messages will still be extra. A complete joke.

Yes, I know about iMessage and 3rd party apps, but a lot of friends don't have smartphones.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Same! It could potentially cut ~$60 in data costs down to half, give or take, which would be awesome.

Do you think AT&T will actually let you save that much, AND give you such a large phone subsidy?? They just increased their "upgrade" fee to $36. There will be a financial tradeoff one way or the other.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have a feeling that these shared data plans will be so expensive that it will not be worth it. "AT&T's new shared data plan! Just $60 for 3GB and use it on your iPhone and iPad!"

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
Pricing?

I'll make this simple for everyone:

The pricing will offer less data for more money than 2 a la carte plans. But it will be cheaper than signing up for 4 separate data plans.
The 3 device sweet spot will be just a little more money than you are paying now.

Mostly you will be irritated by the fact that there isn't a plan that will save you any money.

(Yes this is a prediction, I do not have the *actual* pricing)

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Just $60 for 3GB and use it on your iPhone and iPad!"

I really don't see the point in having a data plan on a tablet when most tablet users typically have a smartphone. The data plans are so limiting for the tablets, it makes no sense to get one. 3-5gb of bandwidth per month for a tablet is a slap across the face.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Only situation this will probably apply to is if you have one data hog and 4 people that use about 2-10 mb a month.

What would be nice is if they started their voice plans a little lower.

Highcroft

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Illinois
I'm guessing it will be something like $30 for 3 GB for the original user with additional lines costing $15-20 and adding an additional 1 GB to the pot. A small savings per user, but a savings nonetheless.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
How many other carriers support data sharing? I've only recently discovered that our family account had sharing already in it by default. A whole 9GB (6 x 1.5GB) of data I could've been using every month.

AFAIK, Optus and Telstra here in Australia support it.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
After having unlimited and reliable home internet, the way a lot of these cellular companies have handled data has really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's definitely nice to see some potentially good news.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
While part of me looks forward to shared data plan, I know this (as is everything they do) will still be dishonest on AT&T's part.

- AT&T *requires* data plans, even if you don't want them.
- AT&T *requires* data plans, even if you use 0KB a month.
- AT&T suddenly "does us a favor" by allowing us to spend more to "share" a data plan. Uh, thanks?

I bet you a dollar that it will still cost me more than the $30 I spend now, and I'll lose my unlimited plan.

How about just letting everyone on my family plan use the phone we want, without charging us for data plans we don't need?
Or how about not charging INSANE amounts of money for data plans in the first place? $10 per 1GB is fair. NOT "$10 per 1GB after you spend $30 first."

AT&T makes BILLIONS in PROFIT every quarter. They charge dollars for what costs them pennies. They have no reason to. They can charge a LOT less and still make money.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I really don't see the point in having a data plan on a tablet when most tablet users typically have a smartphone. The data plans are so limiting for the tablets, it makes no sense to get one. 3-5gb of bandwidth per month for a tablet is a slap across the face.

Well, as long as you don't stream much video--especially HD video--then 3GB can last the month with simple web surfing, emailing etc. It's easier to view a web page on a 9.7 inch screen than a 3.5 or 4 inch screen. However, you are correct that the current limited data plans just aren't enough to really enjoy a tablet away from wifi.

I think tablets need a minimum of 10GB a month. However, the carriers recognize data as their main revenue stream in the future and they aren't going to budge on their high prices. They have lobbied hard to prevent the expansion of public wifi.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Free nights and weekends for data would be better.

That would be nice if the only thing preventing them from increasing data caps was how much money they wanted. Unfortunately, if they did such a thing during peak data usage hours the network would be constantly down during those times. And I'm not saying it isn't their fault they haven't built out their network more and oversold their networks' capabilities.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Unfortunately, if they did such a thing during peak data usage hours the network would be constantly down during those times.

Err... that's exactly why they offered free calls at night and on weekends, because those are not peak hours. I'd imagine it's the same situation for data usage - people are at home and on their WiFi networks.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
While part of me looks forward to shared data plan, I know this (as is everything they do) will still be dishonest on AT&T's part.

- AT&T *requires* data plans, even if you don't want them.
- AT&T *requires* data plans, even if you use 0KB a month.
- AT&T suddenly "does us a favor" by allowing us to spend more to "share" a data plan. Uh, thanks?

I bet you a dollar that it will still cost me more than the $30 I spend now, and I'll lose my unlimited plan.

How about just letting everyone on my family plan use the phone we want, without charging us for data plans we don't need?
Or how about not charging INSANE amounts of money for data plans in the first place? $10 per 1GB is fair. NOT "$10 per 1GB after you spend $30 first."

AT&T makes BILLIONS in PROFIT every quarter. They charge dollars for what costs them pennies. They have no reason to. They can charge a LOT less and still make money.

Not to be spammy, but have you looked at a smaller carrier or MVNO like Ting? They tend to have more customizable plans (although their phone selection usually sucks).

Err... that's exactly why they offered free calls at night and on weekends, because those are not peak hours. I'd imagine it's the same situation for data usage - people are at home and on their WiFi networks.

Nights, maybe. Weekends? No way is that not peak hours. You'd also have the problem of if you offered free data on nights and weekends some people who only have smart phones and no computers (it exists) would just switch over to their mobile data plan instead of a wired house data connection. This would effectively switch everyone over to their network during peak data usage hours. That would be an incredibly bad idea.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
On our Small Business "Family Plan" we have. 4 iPhones and 4 iPads which each have a data plan. I have 1 extra iPad not in regular use and it does not have a data plan but does have 3G. We also have 3 laptops (Wifi only). I expect to have more iOS Devices going forward. Maybe for dedicated uses like in the car if they come up with the right size. It would be nice if all of my devices including my laptops could have LTE access without having to use a hot spot (which I may end up doing if shared to does not happen). And be able to share a data plan. The iPhones and 1 of the iPads are on the unlimited data plan. I would give up the unlimited data plan for a FAIR Shared Plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.