Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
A close girl friend of mine (not my girl friend, just a friend) has a birthday next week and I am looking for a good birthday present. Any ideas?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
She isn't really into all that spa stuff. Maybe a gift card for a good restaurant?
Maybe take her out to a good restaurant? Way better, IMO. A good restaurant isn't all that much fun if you don't have someone to go with, and what better person to take her than you? :)

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Get her a Forever 21 gift card, or the LoTR series on BluRay. The two best gifts anyone can ask for.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
She isn't really into all that spa stuff. Maybe a gift card for a good restaurant?

----------

She likes good food and movies.

Avoid a gift card. Nothing says I'm too lazy to care, put little thought into it or don't know you that well as a gift card. If you are going to get one anyways just get a VISA gift card so she can use it anywhere.

Personally I think you should give something to a friend you know they will enjoy or something that shows it took you a lot of effort. Not just choosing a gift card on the rack at the local grocery store.

If I know someone has been wanting something I buy that if it is not too expensive. Perhaps make her something. If you are handy with tools you could make a small piece of furniture. If you are a good cook make a special dinner.

My favorite places to buy gifts are small antique stores. There you can get nice paintings, interesting gadgets, vases and all sorts of nifty things for cheap. Online you can find interesting cheap display pieces like small fossils. I have a Megalodon tooth and some fish in stone from the mesozoic era.

Really the key is to make your friend feel special by doing something for them or getting something you know they will love and cherish a long time.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree, nothing says "**** you I can't be bothered" than a gift card. Exceptions are long distance friends or well thought out gifts that can only include gift cards because you either don't intend to join in the fun or you simply cannot. I've done a "golf" package including a gift card for example. This was prior to me getting into golf.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
There are quite a few choices. You can always "cheat" so to speak and go threw her mother for ideas. I have done that with both a female friend and a girl friend.

Another trick I do is try to make mental notes of things they tell me they like and say in passing. Both ways get some great gifts that they really want and is complete unexpected.
An example of the making notes of things is a girlfriend said she always wanted mouse trap game. A several weeks later it was her birthday and I had bought it for her. For my female friend she showed me a piece of art work she wanted. About 9 months later I bought it for her for Christmas. Both were in the complete unexpected category and they lite up when they got it.
It is all about making notes and keep track of things.

Remember every girl is different.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Plus one for Rodimus Prime suggestion of making notes. The first Christmas I was with my wife (then girlfriend) I asked her to help me chose some gifts for some friends. I went back the following week and bought everything I saw she liked. Other than her iPad it was probably the best I've managed for gift buying. That was 15 years ago and she still has most of the gifts.

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Your search for the ultimate present is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg

Seriously though, I think everyone here is assuming that you secretly like her, so just take her out for a nice dinner. If you can't afford to take her somewhere special, then invite her around to your house and open a bottle of wine, cook something nice etc. Good luck!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Do something creative. My friend who happens to be a female's birthday was recently. She's always asking for some water out of my waterbottle, so I got her a waterbottle and an iTunes card (loves to download music, but very seldom will actually purchase it). She loved it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It depends how close you are & how much money you are willing to spend.

I remember a couple of years ago a friend of mine gave his best girl friend a Coach handbag for example.

As for my experience, the times I have had to give girls that were standard friends a BD gift I just asked my sister/mom to buy/recommend a med size handbag, not coach, tous or other high end, but from fossil or some other fashionable recognisable brand w/ a nice modern style/design which is easier on the wallet. All girls love jewelry, handbags & shoes, it all depends on what is your current state w/ the person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.