Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:01 AM   #26
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad9 View Post
"Micro$haft"? Really?

I didn't think they allowed kids to go on the internet during school hours these days.

Do I use MS Office on the Mac? No. Am I an insane fanboy who thinks it's the worst thing since the Hindenberg? Also no.
I would be kind of hard to beat the Nazis, the Rwanda Genocide, Céline Dion or 9/11 (etc) in the "worst thing since the Hindenberg" category...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:57 AM   #27
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
I would be kind of hard to beat the Nazis, the Rwanda Genocide, Céline Dion or 9/11 (etc) in the "worst thing since the Hindenberg" category...
Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:28 AM   #28
ph0rk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Nothing about your post is accurate.
Maybe his productivity is writing todo memos and the occasional photo slideshow from a vacation.

iWork sucks for collaborative work, otoh. And I tried to like it, I really really tried.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:59 AM   #29
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Maybe his productivity is writing todo memos and the occasional photo slideshow from a vacation.

iWork sucks for collaborative work, otoh. And I tried to like it, I really really tried.
Agree. The lack of Markups, and Tracking changes stinks. I wish it had it...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:18 PM   #30
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

And Apple consistently doesn't make it better. Versions doesn't allow a single user to use more than one system (the Versions are tied to the computer, not the document file) or keep files on a server. iCloud doesn't allow for sharing.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:16 PM   #31
JupiterBFPOE
macrumors newbie

Bad Experience

Just had someone in my office run the new update to 14.2.1 from 14.1.x via auto update. Outlook asked to rebuild database, seemed to be OK except all of his e-mails from a pop account have disappeared. E-mails from an exchange account seemed OK, although there were some synchronization errors for a bit.

Recovered previous user identity from TimeMachine and I'm waiting for MS to fess up on their second screw up and provide a fix.
JupiterBFPOE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:55 PM   #32
JupiterBFPOE
macrumors newbie

It gets better...

Well... Outlook is retrieving new e-mails from the POP account that disappeared but they are nowhere to be found within Outlook. So I suspect that the e-mails are in the database, just not showing up in Outlook.
JupiterBFPOE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:06 PM   #33
jabbawok
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jabbawok
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Offic£ for Mac is a joke (it's not very good for Windows either). iWork suite is all you need for the best productivity experience on any platform. I cringe whenever I see a "Mac person" using Micro$oft Offic£ applications on their Mac.
I wish. iWork is hopeless for equations, which is essential for engineering. Shame really otherwise I'd drop Office like a hot brick.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:20 PM   #34
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawok View Post
I wish. iWork is hopeless for equations, which is essential for engineering. Shame really otherwise I'd drop Office like a hot brick.
I use the free MathType Lite plug-in.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:08 PM   #35
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBFPOE View Post
Well... Outlook is retrieving new e-mails from the POP account that disappeared but they are nowhere to be found within Outlook. So I suspect that the e-mails are in the database, just not showing up in Outlook.
Yes, thats what I kept getting....Only way around it is a fresh install...Mine is still working, but it's only on my MBA....The other copy is installed on my iMac, but I haven't updated it yet.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:59 AM   #36
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
:-)

I thought of that, but technically I was not comparing anyone to nazis. It's just that the "worst thing since the Hindenburg" quote I replied to ticked me off, history wise...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:04 AM   #37
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I wish. iWork is hopeless for equations, which is essential for engineering.
Umm ... LaTeX. Just sayin'.
RMo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:10 AM   #38
arctic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I use the free MathType Lite plug-in.
Cool! Didn't know this. Thanks for the tip. The iWork interface is still light years better than Office imho.
arctic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:32 AM   #39
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
:-)

I thought of that, but technically I was not comparing anyone to nazis. It's just that the "worst thing since the Hindenburg" quote I replied to ticked me off, history wise...
Perhaps the worst thing since Vista?

In any case I love your Abe Lincoln quote in you signiture.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #40
mogens
macrumors member

Got a "The BOM file for the package "office 2011 14.2.1 update.pkg does not seem to exist. Make sure that you have not renamed the package."

Any ideas?
mogens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:56 AM   #41
windowstomac
macrumors regular

Just put it on, Word and Excel seem to open much faster now....

It does amuse me though that whenever you need to update a MS product it seems to need to update autoupdate first!
Old May 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #42
jabbawok
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jabbawok
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
Umm ... LaTeX. Just sayin'.
Tried that. It's just too fiddley. If you've made a mistake in office. You can just edit it. If its an additional program you have to remove what you've done and paste back in the corrected one.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #43
video5233
macrumors newbie

Just upgraded to 'office 2011 14.2.1' and now iTunes does not recognize, or display a sync contact option for Outlook now. Is this because the Outlook contact files moved somewhere else? After the latest sync with my iPhone I now have zero contacts on my iPhone, but the contacts in Outlook are still intact. Suggestions
video5233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:23 PM   #44
video5233
macrumors newbie

Never mind, read the fix on Microsoft support forum.

Delete files under User’s Library/Preferences folder:

com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist
com.microsoft.SyncservicesAgent.plist

Also delete the OfficeSync Prefs in Application Support

Reset sync services in Outlook preferences then sync thru iTunes.
video5233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #45
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Tried that. It's just too fiddley. If you've made a mistake in office. You can just edit it. If its an additional program you have to remove what you've done and paste back in the corrected one.
Come again? Not sure what you mean, but LaTeX files are just plain text and for smaller documents I usually just have one file that I work with (except for articles/research papers where I'll have a a BibTeX file or book-like materials where I will, by choice, split chapters into separate files). Perhaps you're talking about equation editors like LaTeXiT. Those are also optional--if you know or learn the actual LaTeX behind them (which I confess can take some time for more complex equations, but not really much more than learning things in an a Word-like equation editor), you don't need them.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 02:22 AM   #46
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
Come again? Not sure what you mean, but LaTeX files are just plain text and for smaller documents I usually just have one file that I work with (except for articles/research papers where I'll have a a BibTeX file or book-like materials where I will, by choice, split chapters into separate files). Perhaps you're talking about equation editors like LaTeXiT. Those are also optional--if you know or learn the actual LaTeX behind them (which I confess can take some time for more complex equations, but not really much more than learning things in an a Word-like equation editor), you don't need them.
I'm pretty sure the one you quoted just wanted to put some equations into iWork documents and later update them, not to move complete documents to LaTeX and abandon iWork completely.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #47
mastermix
macrumors member

14.2.2 out

14.2.2 update is out, downloading now...
Mac Pro 3.33 12-Core 48GB/6TB, Mac Pro 2.66 Octo-Core(modified) 6GB/2TB, G5 Quad 8GB/1TB, G4 Dual 1.25 2GB/820GB, MBP 2.5 i7 15" 16GB/1TB SSD, iPhone Gen1. 8GB(retired) iPhone 4 32GB, iPad2 32GB Wi-Fi
mastermix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 09:54 PM   #48
mary011
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to mary011 Send a message via Yahoo to mary011 Send a message via Skype™ to mary011
that looks very nice

sometimes,microsoft do some suprised things and let us unprepa.But i like it very much.
mary011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 04:18 AM   #49
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

This is actually a good update!
I see significant amount of increase in speed.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion