Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old May 8, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
mwilloam
macrumors newbie

Need advice for simple upload app/mobile site

I'm a web designer/front end developer. I do not have much experience working with mobile yet. I'm in need of functionality that would allow iPhone and probably Android users to shoot a quick video then upload it directly to a specific server.

Now I know this is fairly simple in the computer world but mobile iOS seems to make it a little more difficult as mobile Safari doesn't support file directory access like a desktop and users would be unable to upload files from their device? I'm not an iPhone or Droid owner (even though I often use them).

Ideally a simple mobile webpage would be best where a user went to mypageexample.com and could just select UPLOAD file, select file, and boom, done. But is this possible with mobile Safari and device shot video?

Do I need a native Xcode app or can it be mobile web? Mobile web would also solve the issue of addressing Android as well.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks.
mwilloam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I checked what Facebook's mobile page does on an iPhone to upload photos/videos... They present a page explaining that mobile safari can't upload photos or videos and suggest instead emailing the photos/videos to a web address or downloading the Facebook app and uploading via that.

So, it sounds to me like your options are:
1 - Make a native app.

Or

2 - Make a system so that users can email (or text message) their photos to an address (or number) set up just for them.

To make a native app you will need Xcode. I don't know anything about servers / emails / messaging so I couldn't tell you how to do #2.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
mwilloam
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've been kicking around in Xcode and haven't got very far. HTML, CSS and Jquery are as deep as I go so Objective-c is not very familiar. Any suggestions how how to simplify the Xcode process?

This is the only tutorial I've been able to find related to basic iOS upload builds. Not as easy to follow and it is a few years dated.
http://youtu.be/zqRnnwFpRqk

Thanks again.
mwilloam is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming