Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Way to get past passcode or get owner info?

Now before you think I'm up to no good, let me preface this.

I found an iPad. I'd really, really like to re-unite it with it's owner as I'm sure you'd like to be re-united if you lost yours. I know how to wipe it and make it "mine" but I have no intention of it as in my eyes it's not mine to do that to. .

Unit is passcoded with a default screen. Apple won't do squat if I call them with the serial, I tried and they claim they won't due to privacy reasons. I'd like to get past the passcode to get to the contacts list to see if I can get the owner that way in addition i've put found ads on CL.

I'll happily carry it into an Apple store if need be, just want to know if anyone's run into this. I have in order to reset them, but there was never a concern for the data on it.

Background: I commute via bicycle, and this was on the shoulder of the road on my afternoon ride home. I'm assuming that it was on a roof/trunk and someone drove off from home and it went flying. Again, I'd just like to get it back to it's owner. Even to making sure I leave it here plugged in and turned on so that Find my Ipad is available if need be and they can come to my door.

Thanks
Ccrew is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
rkahl
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I don't think you can do much other than wait for them come to you.
__________________
Too much!
rkahl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3
taipan61
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: corner starbucks
post a "i found this" in a few locations close to where you found it, if they contact you and give you the correct passcode to unlock then you can make arrangements for its safe return

ps: thank you for your honesty
taipan61 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Now before you think I'm up to no good, let me preface this.

I found an iPad. I'd really, really like to re-unite it with it's owner as I'm sure you'd like to be re-united if you lost yours. I know how to wipe it and make it "mine" but I have no intention of it as in my eyes it's not mine to do that to. .

Unit is passcoded with a default screen. Apple won't do squat if I call them with the serial, I tried and they claim they won't due to privacy reasons. I'd like to get past the passcode to get to the contacts list to see if I can get the owner that way in addition i've put found ads on CL.

I'll happily carry it into an Apple store if need be, just want to know if anyone's run into this. I have in order to reset them, but there was never a concern for the data on it.

Background: I commute via bicycle, and this was on the shoulder of the road on my afternoon ride home. I'm assuming that it was on a roof/trunk and someone drove off from home and it went flying. Again, I'd just like to get it back to it's owner. Even to making sure I leave it here plugged in and turned on so that Find my Ipad is available if need be and they can come to my door.

Thanks
They claim??? You do realize how silly you sound, right? While I believe you, Apple has no way of confirming your story and they certainly aren't going to risk a lawsuit giving away someone's personal info. Most would rather lose their iPad than have Apple give out their info over the phone to some dude claiming to have found an iPad, don't you think?

The passcode is there to specifically prevent you from getting in. Despite your good intentions, it'd be rather pointless if it was so easy or even possible to get around it, so I doubt you'll find a solution.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
You can try iExplorer for PC or Mac that I've discussed here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365296
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4, & 6 | 15" MB Pro & 13" MBA | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Toby Ziegler
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gallifrey
Assuming its a 3G model and the owner has enabled Find My iPhone, there's a chance they'll attempt to locate it and/or send a message to the device. If they message the device that way, you'll see it appear on the screen, even if it's locked.

If you've made an honest effort to find the owner and nobody comes forward...well, you've got an iPad.

Kudos for attempting to track down the owner though. It's refreshing to see that there are honest people out there!
Toby Ziegler is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7
ant69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan61 View Post
post a "i found this" in a few locations close to where you found it, if they contact you and give you the correct passcode to unlock then you can make arrangements for its safe return

ps: thank you for your honesty

this could be a good idea, however - if i lost my ipad/iphone and someone left me their number, i called them and they wanted my unlock code - i would be a bit reluctant to give it to them - for all i know they could then get all my info off it and keep it for themselves..... maybe im just paranoid?

it might be easier to have them confirm the device serial number - which is on the back of the ipad.... and they should have the receipt for their ipad which normally has a record of the serial number.



Ant
ant69 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:47 PM   #8
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
You can try iExplorer for PC or Mac that I've discussed here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365296
Will not work till unlocked, precisely because it would otherwise be a security risk.
iMacDragon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:02 PM   #9
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan61 View Post
post a "i found this" in a few locations close to where you found it, if they contact you and give you the correct passcode to unlock then you can make arrangements for its safe return

ps: thank you for your honesty
good thinking!
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant69 View Post
it might be easier to have them confirm the device serial number - which is on the back of the ipad.... and they should have the receipt for their ipad which normally has a record of the serial number.
This. Instead of the passcode. Or (or maybe and), ask the caller to provide a description of the wallpaper on the lock screen.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Ccrew
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
They claim??? You do realize how silly you sound, right? While I believe you, Apple has no way of confirming your story and they certainly aren't going to risk a lawsuit giving away someone's personal info.
I'm not going to get into semantics over my use of the word "claim" but my request was actually not that they release the info to me, but that they contact them and supply my contact info. You bring up valid points.

Thanks all for the responses. I'm thinking that the signs are probably not a bad idea, albeit it's not a very populated area. Houses are on 5+ acre lots. I am however wondering if some irate soul versus sheepish one is going to show up at my doorstep. I'd think unlocking the screen is probably an indicator that it's theirs?

Running the serial though gets this: Is it just me, or does this unit look brand new?

Valid Purchase Date
A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.
Telephone Technical Support: Active
Your product is eligible for complimentary telephone technical support during the first 90 days.
Estimated Expiration Date: August 1, 2012
More about complimentary support
Contact Apple Support
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: May 2, 2013
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacDragon View Post
Will not work till unlocked, precisely because it would otherwise be a security risk.
Not true. I was able to look into some of my data (even with passcode locked) on a PC/Mac that I never synced with.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4, & 6 | 15" MB Pro & 13" MBA | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Plug it into iTunes. See if the device comes up, you might be able to get the cell umber assigned to the iPad. From there try contacting the carrier and see if they could make a courtesy call to the owner.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:45 AM   #14
miamialley
macrumors 68020
 
miamialley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
All they have to do is send it a message. If they don't do that then oh well.
__________________
Bring back the down vote MR! +345, -0
miamialley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #15
bwrairen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
All they have to do is send it a message. If they don't do that then oh well.
You'd be amazed at the amount of people that never enable find my iPhone. I handle all Apple equipment for my company and my family, and I have had many phone calls asking me how to "turn it on" after they have lost it.
__________________
15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac - mac mini 2.3ghz i5
16gb iPhone 5S -16gb iPad 3 wifi
bwrairen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:43 PM   #16
Ccrew
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrairen View Post
You'd be amazed at the amount of people that never enable find my iPhone. I handle all Apple equipment for my company and my family, and I have had many phone calls asking me how to "turn it on" after they have lost it.
I'm actually beginning to wonder if it isn't the case with this one. Been sitting on my desk hooked to the charger to see whether they'd come knocking at my door, and other than people offering to buy it from me no response from the ads either.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:21 AM   #17
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
From the warranty notice, it seems like they only had the iPad less than a day before losing it! Does it look prestine, or as though it's fallen off a vehicle?

Anyway, would it not make sense to go to the local police station? That's surely a priority place for someone with a lost/stolen claim...
Dangerous Theory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:36 AM   #18
rockstarjoe
macrumors 6502a
 
rockstarjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: washington dc
Just wanted to say kudos for being a good person and trying to return it.
__________________
My band - [velvet] - Our music on iTunes
rockstarjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Pressure
macrumors 68040
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
I think you can turn it over to the local police as a "Lost and Found" and if the owners don't contact them within a certain timeframe it is yours to keep.

Don't they have to make a lost or stolen claim at the police to collect insurance?
__________________
Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Pressure is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 08:52 AM   #20
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Sad day when you try to do something good and you're stuck hitting your head against the wall. Apple should have at least offered to hold the iPad and try to reunite it with the owner; they don't need to provide you any non-public information to be successful. It does sound like the iPad was brand new and it is possible Find My iPad wasn't yet enabled. That is also sad.

Hopefully you find your owner but if not, I think your due diligence has been done.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:16 AM   #21
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Sad day when you try to do something good and you're stuck hitting your head against the wall. Apple should have at least offered to hold the iPad and try to reunite it with the owner; they don't need to provide you any non-public information to be successful. It does sound like the iPad was brand new and it is possible Find My iPad wasn't yet enabled. That is also sad.

Hopefully you find your owner but if not, I think your due diligence has been done.
Yep. Sounds (unfortunately) like Apple wants nothing to do with this situation. They don't want to go anywhere near something that could ultimately end up as bad PR.

Try as hard as you can to get it back to whoever it belongs to. Make sure you meet them in a public place so they don't mug you for the iPad or something. If nobody steps up, then keep it or sell it.

Just out of curiosity--is it banged up at all from being flung off the top of the car onto the road?
__________________
iPhone 5 16 GB black, iPhone 5 16 GB white, iPad Air 32 GB Verizon, 16 GB iPad Mini White, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic 120 GB, Macbook, 3rd Gen Apple TV, 2012 Mac Mini
spiderman0616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:22 AM   #22
hallux
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Does Apple not record the serial number of the device in your iTunes account? SURELY an Apple store could work with Apple to at least e-mail the owner of the iTunes account the device was registered on and let them know it had been found. I mean, it took Apple all of 2 hours to realize I had registered an iPad on my iTunes account and start sending me emails related to the iPad.
hallux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 12:04 PM   #23
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020
 
AbSoluTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Now before you think I'm up to no good, let me preface this.

I found an iPad. I'd really, really like to re-unite it with it's owner as I'm sure you'd like to be re-united if you lost yours. I know how to wipe it and make it "mine" but I have no intention of it as in my eyes it's not mine to do that to. .

Unit is passcoded with a default screen. Apple won't do squat if I call them with the serial, I tried and they claim they won't due to privacy reasons. I'd like to get past the passcode to get to the contacts list to see if I can get the owner that way in addition i've put found ads on CL.

I'll happily carry it into an Apple store if need be, just want to know if anyone's run into this. I have in order to reset them, but there was never a concern for the data on it.

Background: I commute via bicycle, and this was on the shoulder of the road on my afternoon ride home. I'm assuming that it was on a roof/trunk and someone drove off from home and it went flying. Again, I'd just like to get it back to it's owner. Even to making sure I leave it here plugged in and turned on so that Find my Ipad is available if need be and they can come to my door.

Thanks
Post this on REDDIT - really good with helping people become reunited with lost things. Dollars to donuts, someone knows someone who lost it.
__________________
Twitter - Flickr
AbSoluTc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:21 PM   #24
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
...I mean, it took Apple all of 2 hours to realize I had registered an iPad on my iTunes account and start sending me emails related to the iPad.
Most, if not all, of that is automated though. There probably was no "realization" on their part. It just took their system two hours to process everything.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:41 PM   #25
neutrino23
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SF Bay area
Is there an Apple store nearby? I would go there and discuss this with a genius. If he's a nice guy he could look it up and see if it was sold at,that store. He won't tell you the owner's ID but he might help you with some suggestions.

Other than that I'd turn it in to the local police station.
neutrino23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tablets: Ask a new Note 8.0 owner, former iPad Mini owner anything Essenar Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 79 Sep 2, 2013 05:40 AM
Resolved: Returning a lost iPhone to its owner (w/passcode) bobbricks iPhone 26 Aug 23, 2013 09:56 PM
Pick up Mac from repair with old owner info dreamsINdigital Buying Tips and Advice 2 Nov 20, 2012 12:11 AM
do you have a PASSCODE? EarthNeutron iPhone 67 Nov 13, 2012 08:23 PM
Why Activity Monitor and Finder's Get Info gave different info? su0301 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Aug 6, 2012 09:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC