Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I sent an email to Tim Cook to initiate a service from executive relations.

the guy(Nelson) told me he is going to give a notice on the order ( so the factory worker/manager will check for the dead pixel, dust, yellow tint, etc)

I got an iPad today ( guess what? )

This iPad had three big dusts in the middle of the screen and green pixel and little crack on the bottom side of the iPad (wow)

So, I called him again, told the issue.

Now he said this is normal in the manufacturing process and there is no guarantee for the customer to receive normal one.

Please keep in mind I will disregard anything that is not related on this thread and this thread is for informative purpose.. not for some people who start to fight

UPDATED:

Executive relation said " Apple do not make a perfect device for your satisfaction. There are devices

that have dusts, debris, dead pixels, tints but these meets our manufacture standard and

the reason if applecare or genius bar exchange /refurb for these variation, this is solely for customer service".

He mentioned about the issue what we call "defect" is a simple variation from factory. So there is NO! DEFECTS EVER from APPLE DEVICES.

I also told this guy about posting this on Macrumors thread. He said " if our device that has variation does not meet people's standard, you can move on but returning and exchange or anything is up to them"

Last edited:

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks and please keep us informed... along with the other 60 threads just like this on the 1st page.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
You didn't really believe that someone at the factory would specifically check an iPad specifically for you did you? And then track that iPad through packaging, despatch and shipping so that you receive that specific device?

Never going to happen.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Can you post a picture of it?

Already sent back! :)

You didn't really believe that someone at the factory would specifically check an iPad specifically for you did you? And then track that iPad through packaging, despatch and shipping so that you receive that specific device?

Never going to happen.

Oh? Do you work for executive relation? if not, please do not create non sense..

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Alas, whilst dealing with Executive Relations is a good route to go I had the exact same experience when I had issues with my 2009 iMac - the replacement was worse than the one they were replacing. My advice though is to keep on good terms with your contact, express your disappointment and they will bend over backwards to assist you. It may take longer than you anticipated but hopefully it will get sorted.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
To me the answer was fair. Did you really expect Apple to specifically manufactur a PERFECT device to meet your own quality standards ? This is an industrial, mass made product and there will always be some deviations of one product from an other.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
To me the answer was fair. Did you really expect Apple to specifically manufactur a PERFECT device to meet your own quality standards ? This is an industrial, mass made product and there will always be some deviations of one product from an other.

Not to mention, they are made by irregular employees picked up from outside on a daily basis, barely given any training, then asked to make the most popular piece of tech for the masses. Thats a receipe for disaster, yet somehow Apple has gotten away with it all these years without too much trouble. You are not going to get perfection like this, but they seem to be doing alright so far.

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
I sent an email to Tim Cook to initiate a service from executive relations.

the guy(Nelson) told me he is going to give a notice on the order ( so the factory worker/manager will check for the dead pixel, dust, yellow tint, etc)

I got an iPad today ( guess what? )

This iPad had three big dusts in the middle of the screen and green pixel and little crack on the bottom side of the iPad (wow)

So, I called him again, told the issue.

Now he said this is normal in the manufacturing process and there is no guarantee for the customer to receive normal one.

Please keep in mind I will disregard anything that is not related on this thread and this thread is for informative purpose.. not for some people who start to fight

UPDATED:

Executive relation said " Apple do not make a perfect device for your satisfaction. There are devices

that have dusts, debris, dead pixels, tints but these meets our manufacture standard and

the reason if applecare or genius bar exchange /refurb for these variation, this is solely for customer service".

He mentioned about the issue what we call "defect" is a simple variation from factory. So there is NO! DEFECTS EVER from APPLE DEVICES.

I also told this guy about posting this on Macrumors thread. He said " if our device that has variation does not meet people's standard, you can move on but returning and exchange or anything is up to them"

In my experience their customer service is pretty good. They swapped out two for me and were pretty up front that all of these devices have some screen issues. I think it is new technology with QC issues plain and simple. They will get it right next generation, but this one is the guinea pig. Sooo, you either get one that you can live with, or stay with the 2 until the 4 comes out. This one is all about compromises that you either make or move on.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Agreeing with "The Special One" above:
Like I said at the release of this iPad, this device is a "crossover" type one. Like the first ipad was. ie...they are seeing how many retina displays they can mass produce, pulling statistics from complaints such as those seen here and balancing it out against produced numbers etc etc. It's the marketing that still pulls the customers in...we, the consumers are the guinea pigs. Apple act like they care about us, the customer, but they actually don't....if you believe they do, you are mistaken. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Next device, they will have worked out the screen issues and the device should be better overall. Until then, either you live with the problems, or you don't buy one...your choice! I am pretty happy with my current iPad, the screen is good, it does have a little "tint" but I don't care. I know I ll sell it in 10 months and get the next one, so putting myself through this replacement cycle is not something I want to do, worry about or fret over. It's only going to sit in my apartment and be a handy coffee table device. Hardly seems worth the hassle of exchanging again and again. The novelty is fast wearing off. The iPhone is more important to me.

Last edited:

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Do you go actively looking for the dust or is it something you just notice without trying?

vjacques

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
pretty much same as op's experience here. the replacement "sent" by executive relations was absolutely horrible, one of the worst ipad 3 units i've experienced.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
pretty much same as op's experience here. the replacement "sent" by executive relations was absolutely horrible, one of the worst ipad 3 units i've experienced.

Where did yours come from in china and did you return it?

Madjobs

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Origially posted by spcdust

"Alas, whilst dealing with Executive Relations is a good route to go I had the exact same experience when I had issues with my 2009 iMac - the replacement was worse than the one they were replacing. My advice though is to keep on good terms with your contact, express your disappointment and they will bend over backwards to assist you. It may take longer than you anticipated but hopefully it will get sorted."

What a statement-wtf
So just keep your pos ,be happy,be a good fanboy and hopefully apple uses lubricant while they are screwing you.
This is unbelievable,again apple taking the route of gm in 60's and 70's
800 bucks for a device and put up with this crap?
Ok fanboys-not on my dime

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If you really buy the whole "executive customer relations" title, you really are a fool. They are still just customer service staff....dressed in a silly title, and they really don't give a damn about what quality of screen you get, as long as you get out of their hair. In the UK, even Carphone Warehouse and Currys/Pc World have these titles, and it means diddly squat! Their knowledge and skills are just as low as any other staff member, but if you are happy to have the wool pulled over your eyes, go ahead.
Now, I am off to speak to the Starbucks executive customer relations staff as my latte is a bit weak. They are standing behind the counter as I speak....oh, didn't you just make this drink? (Badly)
Some people will buy anything someone on the phone says, really, get real it's 2012! If they really cared about your iPad quality the replacement would be perfect, but all they do is hit a button and send a new random one to you. No executive required! Pah!

----------

I had the total opposite experience when I emailed Tim Cook. I hope everything works out for you.

What did he do then? Drive over to San Fran and blow you?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I got involved with one of those executive relations guys. I didn't get any offer to have a hand picked iPad sent to me. He asked me to email pics of the screen, which I did. He said he was going to forward them to "engineering"...aka the guy in the next booth at the call center. Engineering reported back that my clearly dodgy screen was "within spec". The upside is they didn't spin my wheels by sending me a worse one.

Apple CS talks a warm fuzzy game, but they're no where near as warm and fuzzy as they were 5 years ago. They're too big now. They can't afford warm and fuzzy on the scale of customers they have these days.

Wait a minute. They're a multi billion dollar company, and by all accounts, they're idly sitting on the majority of their vast fortune. Aside from creative tax sheltering and a few million here and there in R&D, what are they doing with these billions? They can afford to keep up the warm and fuzzy, and the QC. They seem to be choosing otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.