Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmbdesignstudio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Hello all, Please help!!!! I have been trying for 3 months to set up a LaCie Big4 Quadra 4 x 2tb drives. I was mislead at time of purchase that this was a NAS - not to be and no refund.

I have at 27" Imac, Late 2009 2.8ghz Intel Core i7 16gb mem on Mac os x lion 10.7.3, a 21.5" imac 3.06ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3, MacBook Pro7,1 13" 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb and a MacBook White older model (not here to check details).

I was trying to set up the LaCie device into a $60 second hand Dell Optiplex GX280 but this device does not read drives over 2tb as it reads the lacie as one full drive even when partitioned and set at different raid types.

I tried setting up my old Power Mac G4 but it seems it has a cpu issue and doesn't work anymore - it wont load from the cd drive or usb - tried forcing it through the linux single user but have basic knowledge - can't quite remember the details but something like 8 & 9 ....? .... sorry it's slipped my mind.

So the question is I want to use the LaCie Mass Storage device to be connect to a server machine so that I can access as fast as possible on the network. The lacie has esata, Firewire 800, 400, usb 2.0 - I see that LaCie has bought out a hub with esata to Thunderbolt but I do not have thunderbolt any capable computers.

I'm looking for a cheap machine - what do you suggest???? Please help I am at my wits ends with this......

What do we think of this one???? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11086076...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3118wt_907
They also offer upgrades at extra costs.

$500 budget.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Why don't you just connect it to your iMac and share it?

Does your router have a USB port?
It wouldn't be the fastest thing ever, but it should be good enough. What are you planning to do that requires speed?

You could look at selling the LaCie (but keep the harddrives) and buy a real NAS.

Keep in mind that with buying a new computer to leave on 24/7 you will also incur the additional cost of electricity per month. That being said, an old Powermac might not be the best option. If you are really dead set on buying a machine to act as a server, you'd be better off looking for a Mac Mini, or similar low power mini itx machine.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Replace Windows XP on the Optiplex with FreeNAS. It's not the computer with the 2TB limit it is the OS. The computer will also be much more responsive with such a light OS. Alternatively you can use OpenFiler or unRAID.

Also install an eSATA II card into it to remove bottlenecks. Then be sure the Optiplex has gigabit Ethernet and connect it to an gigabit router or switch and router. If you are working with a lot of network files on the laptops connect them by Ethernet whenever possible as wireless is slow. No matter how much they boast about 802.11n it pales in comparison to 100mb Ethernet even.

If you were to build a server. Again I would use FreeNAS or one of the others. Then use an Intel Atom board and dual core Atom, 2GB RAM, 80+ Gold certified PSU, Gigabit Ethernet and boot off a USB thumbdrive. The reason for the thumbdrive and Atom is for minimal power usage as a NAS does not need a more powerful CPU. Unless where talking something with over six hard drives and 10Gb fiber.

With a four port SATA motherboard you could also drop the Lacie housing and get a computer case with hotswap bays.

Edit: With the Optiplex if it still has the factory RAM upgrade it. A NAS doesn't need huge amounts of RAM 1GB is more than enough. Heck 512MB would probably do fine if you don't run many services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.