Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
eurobum
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Issue with mobile Safari

Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

I find this appalling. Nine tabs?

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?
eurobum is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
taipan61
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: corner starbucks
atomic or dolphin work well
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum View Post
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

I find this appalling. Nine tabs?

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?
You'll need to jailbreak and install the "Tab+" Cydia utility that eliminates this limitation.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
You'll need to jailbreak and install the "Tab+" Cydia utility that eliminates this limitation.
Thanks, this is great news, as I had planned on JBing regardless. Cheers!

Now ............ we play the waiting game!
eurobum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Pressure
macrumors 68040
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
Give Apple some feedback regarding this issue you have.
__________________
Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Pressure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:37 AM   #6
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I would but I currently have nine tabs open, so I won't be opening your provided link.













Kidding obviously.
eurobum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
andyblila
macrumors 65816
 
andyblila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Send a message via Yahoo to andyblila
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum View Post
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

I find this appalling. Nine tabs?

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking 9 pages deep?
__________________
27" iMac MacBook Air
64GB iPhone 6+
64GB iPhone 5S⃣
32 GB iPad Air
andyblila is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyblila View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking 9 pages deep?
Well, actually, I too always run into this limitation... I'd prefer quickly reloading forum etc. pages without having to load them from Favorites. And, with the 1GB RAM of the iPad 3, in most cases all nine pages remain in-memory while browsing.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #9
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
When I'm researching both academically but also just on topics of interest I usually juggle with at least two, sometimes more, different subjects that maybe are completely unrelated. A max of 30 tabs would be ideal. Of course there is the question of how much it will affect overall performance having that many open tabs, but I'd like to push it and see what it can do.

In any case, nine is a ridiculously small number.
eurobum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum View Post
When I'm researching both academically but also just on topics of interest I usually juggle with at least two, sometimes more, different subjects that maybe are completely unrelated. A max of 30 tabs would be ideal. Of course there is the question of how much it will affect overall performance having that many open tabs, but I'd like to push it and see what it can do.

In any case, nine is a ridiculously small number.
No performance loss at all. Safari shuts down tabs that were visited earlier than the rest when encountering memory shortage.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:07 AM   #11
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I bump into this limitation too though it doesn't bother me too much. I do usually wind up staying pretty cognizant of what I have open and try to keep to 7-8 tabs max so that this doesn't happen. It sort of forces me to be diligent.

I like Atomic but until/unless Apple allows me to replace the default browser, I can't imagine using it full time. And no, I won't JB. I tried and had a pretty unsatisfying experience. Some cool stuff but way too much effort optimizing and resolving issues. It ceases to "just work" and given my use case (note my signature) that's no cool.
__________________
iPadAlone.com
Wherein I ponder the reality of an iPad as my primary computer...
anthonymoody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:37 AM   #12
andyblila
macrumors 65816
 
andyblila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Send a message via Yahoo to andyblila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Well, actually, I too always run into this limitation... I'd prefer quickly reloading forum etc. pages without having to load them from Favorites. And, with the 1GB RAM of the iPad 3, in most cases all nine pages remain in-memory while browsing.
Nice, I've just never run more than 3 deep. I'll try tonight and see if I can break the 9 barrier.
__________________
27" iMac MacBook Air
64GB iPhone 6+
64GB iPhone 5S⃣
32 GB iPad Air
andyblila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:59 PM   #13
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I really love surfing on the iPad in terms of comfortability, but when it comes down to actual performance and efficiency I see quite a long way until it reaches what you can do on a desktop.

This is a typical, albeit intense, surf session on my desktop on a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 and that's not taking into account the nine tabs I have open on the iPad, serious:

Last edited by eurobum; May 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
eurobum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:18 PM   #14
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Screen shot.
eurobum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:19 PM   #15
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God
 
thatoneguy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beach Cities, CA
I agree with this. I like keeping tabs open just so I know which sites I've been to or just because. At times I have at least 20 tabs open in Google Chrome or Safari in my MBP. Couldn't this be fixed by the ">>" that shows up on Safari when too many tabs have been opened and can't all be showed on the tabs bar? Seems like it could be added or probably not since it would look too "messy" or some other reason. And no, I'm not going JB, I've learned to live with but it would be nice.
__________________
- Christian
"Pain demands to be felt."
17MBP(6,1), iP6 (128GB), iPad3, ATV, TC, APE AmazonFTV
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Mrg02d
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum View Post
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

I find this appalling. Nine tabs?

Use the history to find where you've been.

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?
What on earth do you need 9 tabs open for?
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
I don't think I've ever come close to hitting 9 tabs, but I've always wondered what the limit was. Most of the sites I visit, if they are forums then most are on Tapatalk. Other sites I normally surf are just news/blogs and most of them have their own apps. I rarely use more than 4 tabs on Safari at any given time.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 64GB iPhone 6 | 32GB iPad Air | TV
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18
eurobum
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
What on earth do you need 9 tabs open for?

From post # 14:

Screen shot.
eurobum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 12:20 PM   #19
NineFace
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I love to open a lot of tabs too for YouTube, work, forum, etc.
NineFace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile Safari - Not compatible with the Internet. Giuly iOS 6 15 Apr 17, 2013 10:29 AM
iPhone: Ad right in middle of page - mobile Safari gothamguy iOS 6 3 Apr 13, 2013 08:50 PM
When will we be able to turn off mobile sites in Safari? Rogifan iOS 6 38 Jan 6, 2013 06:51 AM
MacRumors Mobile Site ad crashes mobile Safari 1080p Site and Forum Feedback 2 Nov 9, 2012 10:08 PM
Disabling mobile/tablet sites in Safari Rogifan iOS 5 and earlier 5 Jun 30, 2012 05:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC