Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 9, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Do higher capacity iPhone 4S consume more power?

Hello. Does the 64GB version of iPhone 4S consume more power than the 32GB and 16GB versions? Are the differences negligible? Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

There's a difference, and it'll be negligible.

This is one of those things you just don't consider because the benefits of having the higher capacity outweigh the loss in power by several orders of magnitude.

Higher capacity means: you have more storage, you can store more things, you have more freedom to store more applications, videos, music without worrying about running out of space.

Also, you have more space to store things.

Before I forget, you can't upgrade the storage if you change your mind.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
cynics
macrumors 603

If there is a difference it's so minute it's not worth concern. This is the first I've heard it mentioned, so there probably isn't a difference at all.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #4
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

You wouldn't even notice.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
ericrwalker
Banned

This reminds me of iphone4s16gb who went on and on about the higher capacity 4S getting a better battery than the 16gb version.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=99

I doubt there is any difference, and if there is I would say it's so small it's can't be easily calculated.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
hajime
macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Of course more memory takes more power. An engineer can always calculate the difference. Heck, anyone can in this case.

Most Flash memory is made up of separate smaller memory die that are stacked to get more memory in one package.

For example, looking at NAND Flash specs sheets from Micron, we see that standby current values are:

4GB = 10-50 ua (1 die)
8GB = 20-100 ua (2 stacked die)
16GB = 40-200 ua (4 stacked die)

Clearly, the standby current must be added up per chip die in the package, and doubles every time the memory doubles.

However, with standby current measured in microamps (ua), there's not much to worry about since that's a fraction of the power being used for other parts in the device.

It would only have a noticeable effect if you planned to leave your device sitting uncharged for weeks at a time. E.g. for the 16GB above, that would use max 35mah of battery every week instead of just ~8mah max for the 4GB. Not a huge difference for a 1400mah battery.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone