Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Case-Mate has released a new iPhone case made from 100% recycled post-consumer PET bottles -- the plastic in soda and water bottles. Case-Mate says one recycled water bottle equals one iPhone case.

rpet.jpg

"As part of our greater effort to encourage more sustainable practices, we've introduced a line of fashionable, functional and environmentally responsible cases," said Shashi Reddy, Case-Mate's Chief Executive Officer. "By creating Case-Mate products using recycled materials, we're helping millennials stay stylish and environmentally conscious."
The $30 case comes in 6 colors, pink, orange, green, blue, black, and white. The case itself isn't anything special -- it's very similar to any number of other cases, including the Snap Case from Incase -- but it's perfect for the environmentally conscious iPhone owner.

Article Link: Case-Mate Offers iPhone Cases Made From Recycled Plastic

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Recycling is always a good thing.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not just recycled but—equally important—recyclable! Except... I don’t see a recycling symbol, just a logo. Hopefully the symbols is there (might well not show in those little photos). Otherwise, they’re recyclable in theory but not in practice...

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I guarantee Case-Mate is profiting from this - and they should, but it's just funny that people still fall for the recycling mantra..

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Trying to make such a crazy profit margin by pressing on people's consciousness about recycling... makes me sick.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
$30 for a case? My soda bottle (with the soda) costs less than $3. They should rename this to "you be environmentally conscious and let us take care of the money"!

Ridiculous crap.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I hope that these are more resistant to discolouring than their Gelli cases. I've got a clear one that has turned yellow - almost brown - and my daughter's bright pink on is now a dirty red colour

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I guarantee Case-Mate is profiting from this - and they should, but it's just funny that people still fall for the recycling mantra..

Well no kidding they're making money off this, it doesn't say anywhere that they're doing this on a charity basis does it? :eek::D

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
$30 for a case? My soda bottle (with the soda) costs less than $3. They should rename this to "you be environmentally conscious and let us take care of the money"!

Ridiculous crap.

I feel this could be said about almost any "made from recycled material" product. It's all garbage. You can buy recycled motor oil for damn near the same price as brand new motor oil. Um, yeah... No thanks!!

Move along if you're looking for a sucker.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Recycling is always a good thing.

i love how you get downvoted for mentioning "recycling" ... oh wait, this is an american board also known as world polluter #2 :p

A bottle of water doesn't cost $30 and neither should an iPhone case.

an iPhone doesnt cost $650 to make either yet u buy it ;) not that i'm gonna buy that case, but thats cuz its ugly

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
an iPhone doesnt cost $650 to make either yet u buy it ;) not that i'm gonna buy that case, but thats cuz its ugly
I'm not sure I call it ugly, but it definitely isn't esthetically pleasing either.

Of course since peoples tastes do differ, some will probably love the design.

Mark77

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Ummm....when the iPhone 4/4s becomes obsolete, won't that obsolete case still take 1000 years to decompose.....just sayin'

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
i love how you get downvoted for mentioning "recycling" ... oh wait, this is an american board also known as world polluter #2 :p

There's so much more that goes behind just raw hardware parts. Melting plastic and molding it into a case doesn't cost $29.95 per case.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I understand everyone's shock at the price. But to some people, 30 bucks is a small price to pay for feeling good about themselves. Sad.

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Remember when people were pushing the pros of recycling and they said things would cost less? I guess they stopped trying to sell that lie.

simdude

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012

Actually, if you want to talk per capita, the US is #1 for pollution (China doesn't even make the top 30 thanks to their population but they do hold #1 for overall polluting).

But if you want to talk about economics, discussing the pricing of an item based on recurring costs is a bit silly. One could also point out the cost of a BMW or Mercedes is far more than the cost to make it. Or the cost of most medicines should be pennies, or a few euro cents. Now, if we can just get the scientists to work for free, the government to let everyone by-pass all the testing and throw out all the legal cases when people claim they were harmed by the product, we'd be all set. ;-)

ok, i'm obviously being facetious but the point is the market will decide the appropriate price. For myself, spending $30 to recycle 1 bottle is a poor use of money and will have no impact on the environment. I would rather throw the bottle in my recycling bin and donate the money to a good cause. Money is also a limited resource and throwing it away won't help us clean up the planet.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I did a 30 page report on recycling... as I recall, when bottles are made into recycled goods (most aren't - ~70% of those put in recycling bins are sent to landfills because the demand for such bottles is far less than the supply) - it often goes through a chemical process that results in the material used to make the good + byproducts that go in the landfill and take forever to decompose.

I'm curious whether the process they apply to the bottles to make them into cases results in a byproduct or not.

(Ultimately, in my report I concluded that a new system that doesn't involve chemically altering the bottles needs to be done. I proposed a system in which the bottles are returned to their manufacturers, who then clean the bottle and ship it off like new.)

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Recycling is a good thing but for $30? Just pick up an excellent Magpul case for $9.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
You too can buy some crappy 30 dollar case made from 3 cents of recycled bottle plastic so you can feel less guilty and more stupid. Both at the same time !

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Yet it costs $30...

Either they're trying to create a huge profit margin or they don't want us to buy the environmentally conscious case and rather another higher quality case for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.