Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Thank GOD they fixed that re-open windows behavior, but I think it actually would have been even better if it just worked the way you'd expect: restore OPEN windows, not every damn window of every running application being vomited all over your screen.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Three OSes

I can't remember a time where we have had before what we will have in a month: three modern Mac OSes, an entire numeral version apart, that are still considered current and used by so many. Which will be your poison: 10.6.8, 10.7.4, or 10.8.0?

EDIT:
To the people who have the cowardice to continually down vote my innocuous postings anonymously without replying to the comment itself, I encourage you to private message me if you feel you need to communicate something to me.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Ah the scourge of SMB.

Let me fix that for you:

Ah the scourge of Apple OSX's implementation of SMB​

Have one setup in the office of Windows users.... its been "fun"

So, the office full of Windows users is having no unexpected problems with CIFS, but the one Apple is having problems.

Wouldn't that lead you to think that the problem is the Apple, and not CIFS?

(I said "unexpected problems", because most NAS protocols will attempt recovery if a connection to storage is down due to network or server failures. This is seen as a 30 to 120 second "hang" by the user, but in fact it is part of the design of the protocol.)

bheiser

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I like it too

I love it. I hate having to reopen everything after restarting. I want everything as it was when i left it. :D

I do too! And for those times when I really do need it do start fresh, I can always just uncheck the box when I shut down. Easy! :)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Let me fix that for you:

Ah the scourge of Apple OSX's implementation of SMB​

So, the office full of Windows users is having no unexpected problems with CIFS, but the one Apple is having problems.

Wouldn't that lead you to think that the problem is the Apple, and not CIFS?

(I said "unexpected problems", because most NAS protocols will attempt recovery if a connection to storage is down due to network or server failures. This is seen as a 30 to 120 second "hang" by the user, but in fact it is part of the design of the protocol.)

I bought a snow leopard mini server just for this reason. I could not use a Lion server in our environment and trust it to work with the shares.

Had a tech guy out last week to help me tweak some VPN settings and such- he told me that lion server has eh; challenging. I think he used the vomit word in his description. It all started with the lack of FTP...

Back to point. I still run 10.6.8 due to this as a total disaster with lion.

Is it better now? Is there still a major delay in finder with attached network shares from a windows box?
Thx

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I still got the same old problem that has been plaguing me for awhile. When my computer awakes from sleep I can't get iTunes to connect to my airport. I get an error. I have no idea when this happened. I wish I did. Maybe it's an iTunes issue I have no other wifi problems with other devices. Just my airport express for streaming music to my stereo. Usually I have to reboot my computer to get it back to norm. What's weird is after the upgrade it of course rebooted, but I got the error saying it couldn't connect to the base station.

myawn

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Marietta, GA
File locking fix?

When will they fix the f*cked up behavior of locking files that haven't been edited as frequently as Lion deems appropriate?

That's annoying even if it works well. But I've had several files get into some state where it just says they can't be saved -- with no further explanation. Duplicating them seems to be a workaround, but there is clearly a bug here that needs fixing badly. (Let me correct that -- it badly needs fixing well).

:mad:

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Updated five startup drives on my Mac Pros and one on my MacBook Pro - I have two drives in that machine - but when I updated the second drive, the startup drive, and THE ONLY ONE RUNNING FILEVAULT, I got an error when I tried to verify the drive with disk utility. It said that "Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting" and then the red error message "Error: Storage system verify or repair failed."

Now, I did NOT upgrade from legacy Filevault with Lion. I de-encrypted first and then updated and then re-encrypted with FileVault 2, but my gut tells me FV is the problem. Why? Cause that's the only real difference here.

I called Apple and got maybe the worst tech support guy ever. He didn't know about the 10.7.4 update at all. Then, when I explained my problem and paused and said "wait, what did you say about file vault again?" It was like he was smoking weed. I was disgusted, so I called back and got somebody who was at least semi-present.

I'm de-encrypting now and plan to run Disk Repair again when that's done. Maybe that'll fix it. Then, my next step will be to try to repair it from the Recovery Partition. What a drag.

Anybody else out there with this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.