Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Recommendation

You can order these through the carrymobile website for the iPad 3. I'm waiting for someone to pull the trigger and report back. I've seen some reviews on the Melko iPad 2 cases that said they preferred the matte finish leather on the Melkon rather than the natural looking Melko leather.

Someone please order this one and give some feedback. My local UPS store is on first name basis with me from all my case purchases and multiple returns. :eek: I've kept some but returned many as either the cases were not at all as shown in the photos or were really poor quality.

----------

I actually love this case. But I ordered the red one and the look of the leather was not like in the photo. Not just a natural weathered look but it looked like someone spilt a milkshake on the leather during the tanning process or did a tie dye process to it. I wouldn't even mind the tie dye look if it was uniform. But it wasn't - the top part of the cover was all light spots and darker more even in the middle and one corner. Then the back of the case part was perfect and not at all blotchy. I thought I might have just received a dud but the eBay seller told me all of them even in other colors were all random splotchy.

If anyone finds this case with the leather looking like the photos, please let me know.

I would recommend buying from Jisoncase directly. Their customer service department is very responsive and, I'm sure, would address any defect issue you might have. When you deal with a reseller who buys in wholesale lots it's more complicated to get cared for unfortunately.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I would recommend buying from Jisoncase directly. Their customer service department is very responsive and, I'm sure, would address any defect issue you might have. When you deal with a reseller who buys in wholesale lots it's more complicated to get cared for unfortunately.

Actually I did send a photo of the case to Jisoncase and received an e-mail back that the leather was from the head of the cow. So I guess they felt all the spotting was okay.

Good news is - the reseller received the returned case yesterday and apologized. He said he never had it happen before and blamed himself for not checking the case before he sent it to me. I'm hoping to receive a good quality replacement. I really like the design of this case and the leather although spotted from the dying or tanning process was treated so that not only did it feel good but appeared like it would not easily pick up fingerprints or soil.

So keeping my fingers crossed for a good quality replacement - will update again.

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Actually I did send a photo of the case to Jisoncase and received an e-mail back that the leather was from the head of the cow. So I guess they felt all the spotting was okay.

Good news is - the reseller received the returned case yesterday and apologized. He said he never had it happen before and blamed himself for not checking the case before he sent it to me. I'm hoping to receive a good quality replacement. I really like the design of this case and the leather although spotted from the dying or tanning process was treated so that not only did it feel good but appeared like it would not easily pick up fingerprints or soil.

So keeping my fingers crossed for a good quality replacement - will update again.

I'm hoping for the best for you as well. This is a great folio that meets the specs we're all hoping for. Sorry for your bad experience. Hope the new one works out for you. :)

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I looked into it, but it seems that Yoobao uses PU leather for its cases. I wanted better quality.

I received this case in red today. I actually like the design of this case. It's very much like the original iPad case but with the magnets. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the leather. It feels really nice and smelled like real leather. The only problem is that although the stitching was nice and even, the leather on the back had a couple of lines, digs and looked like a split that was glued back together.

My problem is not only finding the perfect case for me, but getting a case with decent quality. I've sent a number of cases back for defects in the workmanship or quality. I guess I'll chaulk it up to the manufacturers all trying to produce quickly once they got the new specs for the new iPad. Each of the sellers seems real surprised and says they've never seen anything like it when they get the defective cases back. I guess I just must unlucky when it comes to cases. The good news is that at least my iPad has been super at the get go - no defects or problems with screen discoloration like so many else complain about in these forums.

Still waiting on my replacement red leather Jisoncase and the iCarer leather in Brown. I'll give feedback once I receive them.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

Looks good. Does anyone have experience with this case? Do the magnets work with the sleep/awake? How is the quality once received?

----------

I'm hoping for the best for you as well. This is a great folio that meets the specs we're all hoping for. Sorry for your bad experience. Hope the new one works out for you. :)

Still waiting on my replacement case. The seller and I continue to e-mail back and forth and he says he is going to send me a new quality case but it hasn't been mailed yet. So frustrating.

Not sure why it is really so hard to get a case with acceptable quality. I'm really not that picky just expect to receive a case as it looks in the photos or close to it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Looks good. Does anyone have experience with this case? Do the magnets work with the sleep/awake? How is the quality once received?

----------

Still waiting on my replacement case. The seller and I continue to e-mail back and forth and he says he is going to send me a new quality case but it hasn't been mailed yet. So frustrating.

Not sure why it is really so hard to get a case with acceptable quality. I'm really not that picky just expect to receive a case as it looks in the photos or close to it.

Got my replacement case for the Jisoncase and this one was much better than the first one. With that said, the quality still wasn't up to my expectations. I've given up on this case and sent it back for a refund.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I received this case in red today. I actually like the design of this case. It's very much like the original iPad case but with the magnets. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the leather. It feels really nice and smelled like real leather. The only problem is that although the stitching was nice and even, the leather on the back had a couple of lines, digs and looked like a split that was glued back together.

My problem is not only finding the perfect case for me, but getting a case with decent quality. I've sent a number of cases back for defects in the workmanship or quality. I guess I'll chaulk it up to the manufacturers all trying to produce quickly once they got the new specs for the new iPad. Each of the sellers seems real surprised and says they've never seen anything like it when they get the defective cases back. I guess I just must unlucky when it comes to cases. The good news is that at least my iPad has been super at the get go - no defects or problems with screen discoloration like so many else complain about in these forums.

Still waiting on my replacement red leather Jisoncase and the iCarer leather in Brown. I'll give feedback once I receive them.

Got my replacement on the Yoobao and the quality is top notch on this one. It's a keeper! I'm usually not a fan of cases that cover the bezel but this one is really thin, lays flat and only covers half the bezel. This case almost feels and definitely looks slimmer than the ones with the snap in backs.

I also really like the leather on this case. It feels and smells good. If it is PU leather like others have said, it's actually as nice a grade as I've had on some of my expensive purses and they are leather. So if this case is PU, they did a good job faking leather.

Magnets are perfect to hold the case shut but not so much as to turn off the iPad in book mode.

Surprisingly, I think this Yoobao is going to be one f my favorite cases.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I am waiting for a Melkco Slimme case which has a black lining. The current cases stocked by the US distributor have a gray lining which doesn't look great.

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Too Bad About The Jisoncase

Got my replacement case for the Jisoncase and this one was much better than the first one. With that said, the quality still wasn't up to my expectations. I've given up on this case and sent it back for a refund.

Sorry to hear things didn't work out with the Jisoncase. I have the brown one as shown in the video and it looks pretty much identical to the case they show there. The leather is good top grain, the stitching is nice...no complaints with the build quality. However, as you carry the case around, if you don't hold it firmly you hear the repeated "off" click (as when you close the cover and the iPad goes off). I've learned how to carry it, so it's not such a great problem. In fact I understand that a lot of the built in smart cover type cases have this issue. I notified Jisoncase and they said that they have had several complains about this problem and hope to resolve it in future builds of the case ( doesn't help me though ??? ). Anyhow, please keep us posted as I believe that you and I are looking ( hoping) for the same thing in a case.

----------

I am waiting for a Melkco Slimme case which has a black lining. The current cases stocked by the US distributor have a gray lining which doesn't look great.

It also appears that the Melkco Slimme leaves the entire top edge of the iPad exposed. Not very protective. Why is it soooooo difficult to find a minimal, quality, protective leather case for the new iPad ?

Imani97

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Knomo

I have a Knomo case for my iPad 2. They make one or the third iPad as well, though I'm guessing it's the same as the two and they've just marketed it or the three.

ipad2_aw11_frontopen_black_highres_new_1.jpg

http://www.knomobags.com/usa/women/sale-usa/ipad2-folio-black-leather.html/

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
What's your thoughts on the Knomo, quality of the leather?

They use very good quality leather.

I was able to hold and study one first hand in one of the local apple stores, which was a 13" mac air case/envelope, and it was "A" grade hide, likely 3 oz cowhide and vegetable tanned. Nice finish, the stitching was well done, and the internal material was a soft non-abrasive fabric that looked like it would not easily tear.

It was $79, and certainly one of the better leather cases I've seen.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Luardi case - any reviews?

The Luardi case looks pretty interesting and says that it is Italian leather with no seams. The photos don't show any stitching so it's hard to tell how it is assembled. The leather part actually looks like one piece but it's hard to tell how they would get it to have any rigidity without something inside the leather.

The website doesn't say if the cover works with the awake/sleep function. And I cannot find any reviews on this case. Does anyone have any experience with this line of Luardi leather iPad cases?

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Knomo Case Seems To Be Getting Closer...

The Knomo case looks pretty good, but it seems the back of the case isn't leather, rather a hard shell polymer. Other manufacturers follow this approach as well. It does allow them to produce a folio at a more reasonable price, but I'm still hoping for a full leather case. Knomo provides good all around protection though with all the right cutouts rather than opting to leave cases open ended and vulnerable to dings. The search goes on....

----------

Does the Luardi case have smart cover function ?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The Luardi case looks pretty interesting and says that it is Italian leather with no seams. The photos don't show any stitching so it's hard to tell how it is assembled. The leather part actually looks like one piece but it's hard to tell how they would get it to have any rigidity without something inside the leather.

The website doesn't say if the cover works with the awake/sleep function. And I cannot find any reviews on this case. Does anyone have any experience with this line of Luardi leather iPad cases?

I ordered this case in white so I'll report back once I receive it. No where in the description does it mention the cover being "smart" so we'll see if the awake/sleep function works. I would hope that any case designed for the new iPad would have this feature but I'll report back. Hopefully the case is good quality leather and workmanship. The website says their leather is full or top grain so I'm hopeful.

Truly for me, the quality of the cases and leather is where most of the cases have fallen short for me. It's really weird cause at least for me, I've found the cheap Yoobao to be of better quality than most of the others. Now I haven't tried the Melko or the Vaja cases but the Jisoncase and the iCarer were both just awful. I tried two Jisoncases and both were all discolored looking leather and the interior linings were wrinkled and puckered. The iCarer was stiff and extremely paper thin.

Still would like to see some reviews and actual real life photos of the Melko.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I swear by Piel Frama. I've had it for everything. iPhone, all iPads so far, Kindle, iPod, Galaxy Note, Blackberry.

They're awesome. Better quality than Sena, Vaja, Beyza. And customer service is brilliant.

boraxatude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
After a Portenzo... I decided to go thin and easily removable, in order to use Logitech's ultrathin keyboard case when needed. I sold the Portenzo and got the Invellop. So much lower profile than the Portenzo - Easy to hold - Magnetic cover works - And the iPad is easy to get in and out. Even if I have to replace it in the future, the $25 shipped price via amazon, can't be beat.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I ordered this case in white so I'll report back once I receive it. No where in the description does it mention the cover being "smart" so we'll see if the awake/sleep function works. I would hope that any case designed for the new iPad would have this feature but I'll report back. Hopefully the case is good quality leather and workmanship. The website says their leather is full or top grain so I'm hopeful.

Truly for me, the quality of the cases and leather is where most of the cases have fallen short for me. It's really weird cause at least for me, I've found the cheap Yoobao to be of better quality than most of the others. Now I haven't tried the Melko or the Vaja cases but the Jisoncase and the iCarer were both just awful. I tried two Jisoncases and both were all discolored looking leather and the interior linings were wrinkled and puckered. The iCarer was stiff and extremely paper thin.

Still would like to see some reviews and actual real life photos of the Melko.

I think I'm ready to call it a day and be happy with my Yoobao Executive case. I really do like this case and the others I have ordered and received since this one have been just awful. I received the Luardi yesterday and that one was the worst one yet. I ordered it in white and it is a yellowed white with the edges really yellowed. The leather doesn't feel like leather at all, it was textured like canvas on the outside and did seem like thin leather on the inside of the cover. Then the cover when lifted up from the iPad screen would stick and like peel up each time. Not stick from magnets as it has no magnets but stick from the leather lining. The case sat crooked on the iPad as well. Then the cover was so stiff that it wouldn't stay in the tab in the back no matter what I did. Oh my this is the worst!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.