Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two months after the public release of Photoshop Lightroom 4, Adobe has now brought the software to the Mac App Store [Direct Link]. The release marks the most substantial Mac App Store release yet for Adobe, joining Photoshop Elements 10 Editor and Premiere Elements 10 Editor as well as the subscription-based Revel (formerly known as Carousel) in Apple's online marketplace for OS X software.

adobe_lightroom_4_mac_app_store.jpg

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 is priced at $149.99 in the Mac App Store, identical to Adobe's suggested pricing for the boxed version, although Adobe also offers a $79 boxed upgrade version for users of previous Lightroom versions. Adobe also offers the boxed Lightroom 4 at a discounted $99 when purchased with one of the company's new Creative Suite 6 bundles. Per its standard policy, Apple takes a 30% cut of purchases made through the Mac App Store.

The Creative Suite package has of course been one of the major software titles users have been looking for to come to the Mac App Store, with Microsoft Office being another popular software package high on users' wish lists. And while Adobe has not yet made the leap to offering any of the Creative Suite packages or even standalone applications from those bundles available through the Mac App Store, the addition of Lightroom is certainly a significant step for Adobe in the direction of offering higher-end titles through the marketplace.

Article Link: Adobe Brings Photoshop Lightroom 4 to Mac App Store

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I actually fine with downloading apps outside of the Mac app store. I think it's just a convenience. I don't really see why the big developers need to embrace Apple's marketplace model.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I actually fine with downloading apps outside of the Mac app store. I think it's just a convenience. I don't really see why the big developers need to embrace Apple's marketplace model.

I've never bought anything from apple's online stores.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell

The difference is that Adobe understood why it needed to embrace that model.

Everyone is noticing that AppStore sales are the way to a larger audience. Hence the beginning of an era where you find big house professional apps in these app stores.

Good for users and everyone else.

----------

I've never bought anything from apple's online stores.

Which is absolutely not related to either the main post or the post quoted in your reply.

Your usual.

----------

@The main post - Why do you need to link to AppShopper?

'Adobe has now brought the software to the Mac App Store [Direct Link]'

Here you hyperlink Mac App Store to AppShopper and Direct Link to the iTunes store. But why?

It should be the other way -

'Adobe has now brought the software to the Mac App Store [AppShopper]'

Choking down your service through people's throats? Awesome.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009

Everyone is noticing that AppStore sales are the way to a larger audience. Hence the beginning of an era where you find big house professional apps in these app stores.

Good for users and everyone else.

----------

It also comes down to a trusted source in the Mac AppStore. Most people not 18 to 21 years of age are cautious and down want "trouble" for downloads. The Mac AppStore is seen as a reliable and tested source.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006

Well, you get a license for 5 machines for the same price. I think it's a better deal.

The updates are super convenient and integrated with your other app store apps, and you can easily re-download everything if you get a new machine or erase your hard-drive.

Also, you don't have to deal with serials and activation and all this stuff…

Pretty nice convenience IMHO. ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
@The main post - Why do you need to link to AppShopper?

'Adobe has now brought the software to the Mac App Store [Direct Link]'

Here you hyperlink Mac App Store to AppShopper and Direct Link to the iTunes store. But why?

It should be the other way -

'Adobe has now brought the software to the Mac App Store [AppShopper]'

We do need to make a living. But you're welcome to click on the direct link if you prefer.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Well, you get a license for 5 machines for the same price. I think it's a better deal.

The updates are super convenient and integrated with your other app store apps, and you can easily re-download everything if you get a new machine or erase your hard-drive.

Exactly what I was thinking!! There are so many Pros! This is why I purchase aperture a few months ago and now I am switching to Lightroom which I really wanted.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I signed up for Adobe's new creative cloud while I could still lock in the student pricing of $29.99/mo (I'm only a student for two more weeks. Anyone hiring designers?). It says I should be getting Lightroom 4 at some point in the future. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but I can't wait for Friday when the cloud goes live! However, I wish I could get my creative cloud apps through the App Store. Then all the updates would go through that instead. Hopefully Adobe will find a way to offer them for free on the App Store but restrict their use by requiring a login. They could still leave out a link to sign up so Apple doesn't get a cut of the subscription. It would just make it simpler for Mac users. Maybe next year?

mooeymoose

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
20% off

I have bought a few things from the app store. It agree it is a convenience when installing stuff on a new machine. I usually stock up on itunes gift cards around xmas that offer 20% off. This past year I still have a bunch I got for 25% off. So if I buy light room it will only cost me 112.50 plus tax.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Amazon conveniently brought me LR4. A physical, real product, to my front door... For $76 (student). As far as I know, they didn't arbitrarily absorb 30% of the sale, though I wonder what their "retail" markup is.

I also ordered a CD. Yeah, Never thought I'd say that again. Apple and Amazon sell mp3 albums for the same price OR MORE than the physical CD... On Amazon! Plus, if you order a relic compact disc, they give you a bonus dollar towards an mp3.

Manufactured materials, shipped materials; manufactured products, shipped to "retailer." Shipped for free to the consumer.

Or you can just download it...eliminating any need for the aforementioned eco-footprint... As well as eliminating all labor jobs associated. Yet they still feel they deserve the hefty distributors fee of 30%. Psychotic.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Have you even used AppShopper? That app alone has saved me hundreds of dollars. I don't mind if arn wants to use MacRumors to promote such an amazing website/app. How much do you pay per month to use MacRumors? That's what I thought.

Everyone should go download the new TouchArcade app too. The MacRumors empire is growing! Hahaha. Keep up the good work arn & team. It's this level of dedication that keeps me coming back. My only suggestion is cutting back on DigiTimes stories, lol.

mgd711

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
It's not yet available in the British App store. Thats even if it will become available in the British app store... Adobe has some very old fashioned sales and marketing structure that prices there "downloadable" products at different prices depending upon where you are in the world. I switched to Aperture after Adobe wanted to charge me $30 to upgrade to LR3 just because I lived outside the US (US upgrade price was $99, for me it was $129 with my oversea's credit card, this was nothing to do with exchange rate variance).

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I know I'm one of the crazy, paranoid ones but I'm OK with Adobe telling me that I can use my licensed software on two machines. What I'm not comfortable with is Apple telling me which machines I can run my software on.

Plus, Adobe worked pretty hard on LR4. Why should Apple suck up $45.00. They've really done nothing to earn it except be there. I've bought a couple of cheapie apps from the App Store but everything else I get from the source if possible. That way the devs get the money they worked hard for and deserve.

Apps like A Better Finder Rename and Ripit probably don't come from really rich companies. Let Apple supply great computers and I'll find my own software.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
It will be interesting to see how upgrades to LR 5 will be handled when the time comes. I don't recall ever seeing upgrade pricing on the app store.
FWIW, I think LR will do very well on it.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I am completely shocked that Adobe is allowing Apple to pocket 30% on each sale. I also doubt that they will gain additional customers with the App Store. The average user isn't going to spend $149 for an App when iPhoto meets their needs.

I only see prosumers and professionals buying this from the App Store out of convenience. It would make sense for Adobe to simply stick with the online distribution they already have and keep the full profits for themselves.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii

Agreed. The licensing model for Adobe apps is very restrictive. My CS6 MC can only be installed and activated on two machines whereas app store purchases can be installed on more without the need for manual activation

Much better deal through Apple

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

People on here frequently complain about the price of Adobe's apps. While they would still have some costs involved in credit card processing and things that are handled by Apple with the app store download model, it certainly doesn't help drop pricing on these things. Adobe retails through Amazon and others as well, but I didn't expect them to give up control to Apple.

I am completely shocked that Adobe is allowing Apple to pocket 30% on each sale. I also doubt that they will gain additional customers with the App Store. The average user isn't going to spend $149 for an App when iPhoto meets their needs.

I only see prosumers and professionals buying this from the App Store out of convenience. It would make sense for Adobe to simply stick with the online distribution they already have and keep the full profits for themselves.

They'd still have some costs retailing elsewhere. I kind of wonder what they'll do with the others. Lightroom is an extremely mass market program compared to the rest of their software lineup. I kind of wonder how long until Apple tries to force everything to go through the app store.

fretdevil

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
I no longer care if Adobe ever brings their suites to the App Store.

Creative Cloud is a sweet deal for existing customers. The entire Adobe CS6 software library for less than $30 per month for the first year. Considering I ordinarily upgrade to each new version and I have two suites, Design Premium and Web Premium. I save about 50% for the first year.

Check it out!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

It makes you wonder what Adobe's margins are on Lightroom in the first place... if they're willing to give up 30%

They already dropped Lightroom down from $300...

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020

This. And I see no convenience in the App Store. As long as they can't even deliver a propper bill for my tax accountant here in Europe.

I kind of wonder how long until Apple tries to force everything to go through the app store.

They start in this direction with Mountain Lion. It's just wrong to force people to have an Apple ID to use a Mac. I'm pretty sure the plan is to force everything to the App Store within the next couple of years. Which is a shame because I like Mac OS X and would hate to have to leave the platform ...

Last edited:

ikeywah

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
It's just good business.

Apple is just doing what everyone else is doing.
Being a middleman and taking a markup.
So what?

Amazon,
Your local software shop,
Any online retailer,
They all take a cut and some take up to 55%.

I think some people here don't know what business is about.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It makes you wonder what Adobe's margins are on Lightroom in the first place... if they're willing to give up 30%

They already dropped Lightroom down from $300...

Barring the initial investment on developing the software (usually man-hours), it doesn't really cost anything to distribute it online.

Adobe simply realises that it is better to sell more copies, each at a smaller profit, than limit your channels and not have any revenue streams at all. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.