Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Etch A Sketch has been a cultural icon for more than 50 years. These days, the iPad has replaced the red tablet as the cultural icon, but a new Kickstarter project aims to combine the two.

etchasketch.jpg

The Etcher combines a red iPad case complete with sketching knobs and an app that completes the Etch A Sketch experience. They have even obtained a license from Ohio Art, the company that makes the real Etch A Sketch. Of course, it erases if you shake it.
We are negotiating with a number of contract manufacturers. The most intriguing option is Ohio Art's invitation for us to use the same factory that manufactures the classic Etch A Sketch. Although it is more expensive than some the other options, we like the fact that they already know and understand Etch A Sketch. For instance, they know exactly what color red to use for the plastic--they simply use the same plastic they use in production!
The team behind the Etcher is aiming to fulfill the first orders by the end of October and they plan to publish an open source SDK for accessing the Etcher's controls from within other iOS apps.

The Etcher is available for preorder on Kickstarter for $60, with free shipping within the United States.

Article Link: Old Meets New With Etch A Sketch iPad Case

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
really?

So I can buy a real etch a sketch for $15, or a simulator for iPad for $60?

Riiigggghhhht.

Oh wait, but with this one I can save the files, share them on Facebook, and make my mom proud of me? Until someone points out I paid $60 for an etch a sketch.

Brought to you by the people at iCrazy. What do you want to bet they sell a ton?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$60... If I had a lot of money, I might blow that amount on it, but I really can't justify it from novelty alone...

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

Riiigggghhhht.

Oh wait, but with this one I can save the files, share them on Facebook, and make my mom proud of me? Until someone points out I paid $60 for an etch a sketch.

Brought to you by the people at iCrazy. What do you want to bet they sell a ton?

So I shouldn't mark you down as buying one?? I think it's pretty cool that you can save, share and do time lapse video.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

Riiigggghhhht.

You don't get it, do you..

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think if I'm going to play with an Etch a Sketch, I'd rather it was a real one. This seems kind of wrong.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I hated this when I was a kid, never could learn how to draw anything with those limited controls. Why in hell would you want to limit the iPad to those two knobs to draw something!?? Just buy a nice paint/sketch app and not be limited!

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Buy the real etch a sketch, make drawings, take picture, share with friends.

JDawg76

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006

Riiigggghhhht.

You must keep in mind......a HUGE part of that $60 is gonna go to Ohio Art, the company that owns Etch a Sketch.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
1001 uses for Etch-a-Sketch

You can run a presidential campaign with it, because you just shake it and boom! You never supported rights for gays, and you never introduced universal health insurance in Massachusetts!

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Buy the real etch a sketch, make drawings, take picture, share with friends.

So I have drafted up what I need.

- a real etch a sketch - $15
- a camera of some sort (lets not get carried away with a DSLR tripods studio lighting and a macro lense some kind of canon digital cam for $200-$400 is enough. I am going to go for the CANON IXUS 125 HS - the best price I found was $299)

+

- a laptop lets get a macbook $1000 (potential free wifi @ mcdonalds) = win

or

- a computer iMac ($1200 shopped around at the apple refurb store) + (modem + ISP fees potential 24 month contract = $1500)

** the laptop would be best as you could use a USB prepaid wireless internet dongle, setting up the internet contract would take time, getting someone from the ISP to connect your internet, waiting for the telcos to get back to you and rip you off with something you could have done without is also a lengthy process and costly.

- **** it the internet will cost way to much I will print out my photograph using the $129.95 "add a printer" option when I buy my mac I have gone with the HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One AirPrint Printer. And post it out to my family and friends via DHL couriering that way I know they will get it.

wait...

- come to think of it I need that tripod to get perfect photos to send to friends, otherwise it undersells my sketching achievements. Lets not go over budget here and invest $25 on a Joby Gorillapod Tripod.

Yeah **** buying an iPap + $60 etch a sketch.

Come to think of it i could save money on just buying an iPad and a etch a sketch for $600. I would probably save a lot of time also

Last edited by a moderator:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
So I have drafted up what I need.

- a real etch a sketch - $15
- a camera of some sort (lets not get carried away with a DSLR tripods studio lighting and a macro lense some kind of canon digital cam for $200-$400 is enough. I am going to go for the CANON IXUS 125 HS - the best price I found was $299)

+

- a laptop lets get a macbook $1000 (potential free wifi @ mcdonalds) = win

or

- a computer iMac ($1200 shopped around at the apple refurb store) + (modem + ISP fees potential 24 month contract = $1500)

** the laptop would be best as you could use a USB prepaid wireless internet dongle, setting up the internet contract would take time, getting someone from the ISP to connect your internet, waiting for the telcos to get back to you and rip you off with something you could have done without is also a lengthy process and costly.

- **** it the internet will cost way to much I will print out my photograph using the $129.95 "add a printer" option when I buy my mac I have gone with the HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One AirPrint Printer. And post it out to my family and friends via DHL couriering that way I know they will get it.

wait...

- come to think of it I need that tripod to get perfect photos to send to friends, otherwise it undersells my sketching achievements. Lets not go over budget here and invest $25 on a Joby Gorillapod Tripod.

Yeah **** buying an iPap + $60 etch a sketch.

Come to think of it i could save money on just buying an iPad and a etch a sketch for $600. I would probably save a lot of time also

Except if they already have an iPad to be an etch a sketch, then they have what is required to take a picture with their iPad and share it with their friends. No need to buy anything but a $15 etch a sketch.

People will buy this as a novelty. Other people will laugh.

----------

You must keep in mind......a HUGE part of that $60 is gonna go to Ohio Art, the company that owns Etch a Sketch.

HUGE part? Smiles. I don't thinks so. But if Ohio Art can charge more for the license to simulate an Etch a Sketch than they charge for an Etch a Sketch itself ($15 retail, often found on sale for less)... then... we need to put Ohio Art working on the deficit problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
People think that Etch-A-Sketch is a kid's toy... until they see pictures like these...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...traits-of-Barack-Obama-by-George-Vlosich.html

Or, you could grab a pencil and draw something 10 times better. Etch-A-Sketch was the dumbest toy ever and I am very happy my parents never bought me one. It would always be in an abandoned corner at my friend's homes. I hope the best for the Kickstarter project, but looking at the product just makes me cringe.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Takes me back. Great toy, when I was a kid.

However if iPads were available when I was a kid and I was privileged to own one; I do not think an etch-a-sketch, or a etch-a-sketch simulator would get more than a few minutes of my time before I played a 'real game' on my iPad...:)

Not knocking the toy or it's concept, but it is a little like buying your child a PS Vita or 3DS and expecting them to play Breakout or Hangman on it.

Remind me again how much the simulator costs again....? :eek:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Etch-A-Sketch was the toy that everybody had, but few actually had the skill to really use. Patience, coordination, visualization & detailed planning. The more you'd draw, the higher the stakes... one wrong move and it was all ruined. I can't think of a more demanding toy for a kid.

I'd probably get a couple for my nieces. They prefer challenging things like that over running around shooting things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.