Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
This is what I saw in iTunes during the restore process of my iPhone 4S.

For other users doing this process make sure you keep your iPhone connected during the entire process and just wait - it will take some time for the unlock message to appear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.41 AM.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 270

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Are you a ATT customer?,

I am not one and mine has been submited since 04/13, i was supposed to recieve a response by 04/25 and i have yet to recieve one :confused:

Yes, I am an AT&T customer, Enterprise/Business. My contract started on 06/2010 and it expires 06/2012. I purchased the unlocked version of the iPhone - had to fax in my proof of purchase.
The mix up occurred when I had my phone exchanged - Apple gave me a LOCKED phone back instead of an unlocked phone.

Hope that helps.

amhersh79

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
ugh

i called att they created a case got a response not elegible because still under contract. Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing unlocked. bought it off CL

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
need a little help. i had filed an unlock case the rep asked me for the proof of purchase which i didnt send as i didnt have any proof. i checked the imei.info website it says SIM LOCKED: NO. what does this mean? does it mean it is unlocked?

nicholasss

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Usa
i called att they created a case got a response not elegible because still under contract. Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing unlocked. bought it off CL

You'll want to call the person you bought it from and tell them to take the IMEI off their account.

----------

At&t policy has changed now no more free unlock.If you would like to have someone do it for you in guaranteed time check out http://www.gsmfast.net they unlock all iphone 4 and 4s from at&t network to factory unlock specifications in just a few days.

Don't buy from this guy when you can do it for FREE!!!!! PM ME if you need help!!!

----------

need a little help. i had filed an unlock case the rep asked me for the proof of purchase which i didnt send as i didnt have any proof. i checked the imei.info website it says SIM LOCKED: NO. what does this mean? does it mean it is unlocked?

Put in a NON-AT&T sim and find out!

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria
The result of my request:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL PLEASE DO NOT REPLY BACK TO "OKCQSubsidyUnlock" AS ALL MESSAGES SENT TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS ARE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED WITHOUT BEING READ. PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE 1-800-331-0500 FOR ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.

Dear AT&T Valued Customer:

We recently received your request for the unlock code on the following device:

EMAIL: EDITED@gmail.com
CASE: CMxxxxxxxx_39063xxx (edited)
MOBILE: Non-ATT
MANUFACTURER: Apple
MODEL: iPhone_4
IMEI: EDITED

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone. We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.
To complete the unlock, simply:
1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have internet connectivity.
2. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
3. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes .
For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
4. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198.
For questions regarding AT&T’s wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center. We thank you for your continued business and look forward to providing you with the best customer service.

Thank you for contacting AT&T Mobility. We appreciate your business.

:apple:----- I restored my iPhone and it's unlocked. I got the "Congratulations" screen in iTunes!.----
I was never an AT&T customer and I live in Brazil.:apple:

How did you contact apple? telephone number?
what did you say?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
can anyone get to the international chat right now?? i am unable to do so! it says Ask charlie as no rep is available!

Ausm70

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Can anyone please help me unlock my iphone 4.

I've sent at&t an email, but they denied my request due to the fact that I bought it over ebay. Couldn't provide a phone no. or account no.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Alright, just went through the process, unlocking two iPhone 3Gs (both 3G, not 3GS.) Here are my notes:

1. You must be either a current AT&T customer in good standing (i.e. no amount past due - ran into that as apparently I forgot to update my credit card which expired last month,) or a former AT&T customer in good standing (no amount owed.) This means if you bought it used, you're out of luck.

2. The iPhone must have been on your account. I ran into a problem with this one because both of my phones had been warranty replaced by Apple, so both current phone IMEIs were different from what was in AT&T's system.

Once I had the info from Apple (original IMEI numbers of the originally-activated phones, mapped to the phone they were a warranty replacement for,) I tried to do it via web chat. AT&T doesn't do this via web chat any more - you have to call.

I called, gave the IMEIs, gave the original IMEIs, and they did the unlocks. Call took about 15 minutes (should be faster if you have your originally-activated phone, not a replacement.) Got the emails confirming this within 5 minutes of the end of the call. Opened iTunes, did a backup/restore on one phone, did just a restore on the other (it was blank already.) Both phones activated, and both work with a T-Mobile SIM just fine!

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
@Anonymous Freak

They must of just stopped unlocking via chat . I had my 4s unlocked thru chat yesterday . Its not even activated & still shrink wrapped in the box .:D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
@Anonymous Freak

They must of just stopped unlocking via chat . I had my 4s unlocked thru chat yesterday . Its not even activated & still shrink wrapped in the box .:D

Yeah, I called last night, and was told I could do it via chat. I asked in a store today, and they said phone-only, no chat. When I tried to do it via chat anyway, they said no. When I called, they said I couldn't do it via chat. So, yeah, apparently the policy change was effective today!

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
You wrote that the iPhone must have been on your account. You then wrote that yours were replacements, but only the originals were on the account. Apple/AT&T don't map original IMEIs onto replacement iPhones as far as I know. Furthermore, this isn't stated in their unlocking policy. I would like clarification on the issue. It seems it takes a bit longer if the iPhone wasn't on your account, but it can still be unlocked.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You wrote that the iPhone must have been on your account. You then wrote that yours were replacements, but only the originals were on the account. Apple/AT&T don't map original IMEIs onto replacement iPhones as far as I know. Furthermore, this isn't stated in their unlocking policy. I would like clarification on the issue. It seems it takes a bit longer if the iPhone wasn't on your account, but it can still be unlocked.

All I know is the first time I tried (Monday evening,) they said they couldn't find the IMEIs on the account (and listed off all five IMEIs that had been original-activation, these weren't on the list,) and when I explained that they were warranty replacements, the AT&T rep told me I needed to get the original IMEIs that they were the replacements for.

So Tuesday I went to the Apple Store, and they gave me the original serial numbers and IMEIs that the phones had been warranty replacements for. When I called AT&T back, I gave the info, and they unlocked.

It is entirely possible that the original AT&T rep I talked to on Monday evening didn't know what he was talking about and made me jump through extra steps I didn't have to. But that's what I was told.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I can't believe how ridiculous they're being with the replacement units. I would have screamed at the rep who told me to go to the Apple store because of their insufficient records. I'll try another attempt at the unlock in a few days on a different number.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Alright, after the success of the two 3G iPhones, I decided to go ahead and try my daughter's "glorified iPod touch" original iPhone.

Like with previous ones, it was a replacement as well (this one the $70 "battery replacement" swap.) And it was replaced after it had already entered use "as an iPod touch", so it has not had a SIM in it in a few years. This one has never been registered to AT&T.

I decided to try it without telling them it was a replacement.

Went through without a hitch. Apparently the "I don't see that IMEI" rigamarole was nonsense, and my trip to Apple unnecessary.

airz

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Can samebody help with unlock? I dont have account and no other information, only IMEI. As i know, from 1 ATT account user can unlock around 5 iPhones. Please help me! My email: airava@gmail.com

If u have account and can save me!
thnk you very much!

phatrabbitzz

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Is there a way to confirm that unlock has happened without doing restore? My 4S has the latest ios so I can't jailbreak it and don't want to lose anything that's on my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.