Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemgough

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Took my ATV out of the box and fired it up earlier everything works including airplay which is fantastic.. the only thing is the ATV won't see any of my movies unless I airplay them from the mac, once they have been air played it will see them and play a t will, the obvious idea was to go through and airplay everything but its not designed to be like that.. i have home sharing on and tried restarting it a few times aswell.
Has anyone got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong..

Many thanks steve..

and all my files work in iTunes swell, not sure if thats relevant or not..

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Took my ATV out of the box and fired it up earlier everything works including airplay which is fantastic.. the only thing is the ATV won't see any of my movies unless I airplay them from the mac, once they have been air played it will see them and play a t will, the obvious idea was to go through and airplay everything but its not designed to be like that.. i have home sharing on and tried restarting it a few times aswell.
Has anyone got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong..

Many thanks steve..

Does the "Computer" icon show on the aTV screen?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

It might be because of the format of the movies in question. The gap is closer now with the ATV3, but iTunes can play more movie formats than ATV. If your movies are not compatible, ATV can't play 'em. It doesn't tell you this, they just don't show up in the ATV menus.

Here's the specs to compare to your movie formats.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
It might be because of the format of the movies in question. The gap is closer now with the ATV3, but iTunes can play more movie formats than ATV. If your movies are not compatible, ATV can't play 'em. It doesn't tell you this, they just don't show up in the ATV menus.

Here's the specs to compare to your movie formats.

Since he a) can play the movies on the ATV and b) they show up after he has played them, I assume it's not a question of the ATV not being able to handle them...

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
It sounds to me like the Home Share is dropping out. This often happens as a result of a bad or poorly configured network/router. My old D-Link DIR-655 has this problem on a regular basis, Bonjour stops working and Home Sharing drops as well as AirPrint not being available. After a while it starts working again, or after a reboot. Never had this issue with Apple networking hardware but I don't have one laying around right now.

stevemgough

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Does the "Computer" icon show on the aTV screen?

Yeah the computer icon is there.

----------

It sounds to me like the Home Share is dropping out. This often happens as a result of a bad or poorly configured network/router. My old D-Link DIR-655 has this problem on a regular basis, Bonjour stops working and Home Sharing drops as well as AirPrint not being available. After a while it starts working again, or after a reboot. Never had this issue with Apple networking hardware but I don't have one laying around right now.

Not sure on your location but I'm in the UK and have the virgin media super hub, if I'm totally honest I've not touched the settings for about 8 months and I've had quite alot of new kit since then so might be worth a bit of look on it.
I can play music through my home sharing so would this mean it's setup right or do movie files require a bit of playing with.

Thanks Steve.

stevemgough

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
so after a lot of messing around and bad language I've found that the reason it wasn't working was because every film had a ! next to them, I've sorted it now and it runs as sweet as a nut but every time i restart iTunes or the mac the ! appears and i have to open iTunes whilst pressing the cmd button, this sorts out about 90% of the films but my TVshows all have the ! next to them and sometimes i loose my album art, has anyone had this issue, I'm thinking its a sharing issue from my server to iTunes but some films are displaying the ! but not others..

any ideas??

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
so after a lot of messing around and bad language I've found that the reason it wasn't working was because every film had a ! next to them, I've sorted it now and it runs as sweet as a nut but every time i restart iTunes or the mac the ! appears and i have to open iTunes whilst pressing the cmd button, this sorts out about 90% of the films but my TVshows all have the ! next to them and sometimes i loose my album art, has anyone had this issue, I'm thinking its a sharing issue from my server to iTunes but some films are displaying the ! but not others..

any ideas??

Ahhh usually that ! Means the file is no longer in the same location as when you originally added it to the library

stevemgough

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Ahhh usually that ! Means the file is no longer in the same location as when you originally added it to the library

they haven't moved though, pretty much short of deleting and reinstalling iTunes I'm out of ideas, I've deleted all the movies from iTunes and re added them and its still happening..

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
if your files are on a network drive maybe thats the culprut maybe its losing its connection periodically?

I used to have this problem when my library was on a NAS. I made sure the NAS was mounted before opening iTunes, otherwise it would look for the NAS, not find it and default back to the local drive location for the library. All the content was still listed, but none of it was available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.