Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
yes.. so anywhere between 0% and 0.9999999999 (recurring) %

Yep, and considering the total number of iCloud users is continuing to increase by the minute, it would be pointless to be so precise in the percentage that it's inaccurate by the time people see it.

A few years ago Gmail went "down" for a number of users and ended up losing all email for some of the affected accounts. Mine was one of those which wasn't recovered.

Outages happen, we all know they do, and we'll all get really annoyed if someone complains for every single one.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
1% of 100 million users is 1 million. that's a fair amount of people affected.

It would be interesting to see how 1% compares to other mail services which don't publish figures for their service status.

----------

You missed the point. How many iCloud users are there (I really have no clue what the number is)? Hence 1% of what.

Ah right, at the last investor call (April 24th?), Apple's CFO said they had more than 125 million iCloud users.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Any chance this means Notes will now actually sync to iCloud like everything else and not to some unwanted @me account it wants me to make?

I just want to read my notes on all my devices, but that's impossible without signing up for yet another e-mail address. Why is Notes so different?

to have an icloud account you need an @me.com account.
nobody is forcing you to use the email account that comes with the icloud account though.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
This IS the gradual build-up of an OS in the clouds.

This is probably the future of Apple. Just imagine what they can make out of this in the next decade.

Mark my words.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
to have an icloud account you need an @me.com account.
nobody is forcing you to use the email account that comes with the icloud account though.

I have an iCloud account. It uses the same e-mail address my Apple/iTunes account uses (not @me.com). When I check "Notes" in the iCloud settings it says "Create a free @me.com email address to turn on Notes", and I can only 'Create' or 'Cancel'

So it would seem that you don't need an @me.com account to have an iCloud account, but unlike everything else, you need one to use Notes.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Great! Yes!

Let's put everything on the iCloud. Private documents, personal photo's, personal this, personal that.

Yes, not only must you have to live in fear that some bloke in the computer repair shop will steal your ID and rob your bank account, when your computer / iDevice chokes.

You will also need to fear some 'clever' kid or an even 'cleverer' adult with a ounce of systems knowledge, or some random black hat with a grudge, to just hack iCloud whilst you think you are sleeping safe at night.

Security often only gets tightened once it has been breached; as the only way you know it needs tightening is when is has been breached. I am not going to be an Apple security 'miner's Canary'.

Don't tell me it cannot be done, it already has. I had to reset my PSN account twice! And all they had was my credit card details (which is not my money...;)). Imagine if I used my PSN account in the way I am being courted to use iCloud and stick my whole iWorld up there. Now that would be some incentive for a hacker....., no?

I will still be backing-up to local HD.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
that's like saying racism doesn't exist because you've never encountered it!
congratulations on ever having any outage though, i'll drop you a congratulatory email once I can access my emails again!

My point is: I don't care if iCloud only works 50% of the time for 99% of people, because it works 100% of the time for me. :D

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
So, given what people have said: we are missing a PhotoStream viewer/editor, iMessage, and iTunes match. What else can be throw up there? FaceTime?

Perhaps some iWork and iLife apps if they want to follow in the direction Microsoft is developing the cloud?

Well, if we are thinking along those lines, heck, why not an App store for our iCloud.com?...

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
So, given what people have said: we are missing a PhotoStream viewer/editor, iMessage, and iTunes match. What else can be throw up there? FaceTime?

Perhaps some iWork and iLife apps if they want to follow in the direction Microsoft is developing the cloud?

Well, if we are thinking along those lines, heck, why not an App store for our iCloud.com?...

I think once they have native Apple apps in place they'll have 3rd party apps, folders etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they even released a iCloud based laptop in the distant future ala Chromebook...

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'd like to see better documentation tools. MS Word is utterly horrible for more complex functions, and it STILL blows Pages out of the water, and Pages is all I can use iWork for. Sigh. Why did Adobe discontinue FrameMaker for osx? If Apple had their own software on par with that, it would be a win. As it is, I can't use cloud storage easily for documents. Mail, Contacts, Calendar, sure. Anything beyond that, and it gets un-apple-like.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I think once they have native Apple apps in place they'll have 3rd party apps, folders etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they even released a iCloud based laptop in the distant future ala Chromebook...

Ya that's the next step. Our home devices will only need internet and power for a screen. Imagine how slim and cheap those can be. All we need is screen sharing on the device, the cloud or server can do all the heavy computing. But that's still many years away, to be done well.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What does that icon at developer.icloud.com signify?

Some kind of way of easily collaborating in Xcode without github or anything?

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Actually just realized a gaping flaw with my comment, you don't need an iCloud.com AppStore. You simply say any iOS/mac app using iCloud auto adds an iCloud app for it.

BK.

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
This is amazing news - I really am considering moving from Google to iCloud, but I told myself I wouldn't do it until certain additions were made. Adding reminders and notes to the web interface was one of them (I think you could view them before, but they resided in mail and calendar respectively, which wasn't very clear where they were).

Now for the other changes I want before I consider moving to iCloud; show subscribed calendars that are subscribed through iCloud on iCal etc. in the web interface. At the minute you can subscribe to a calendar and change the location to "iCloud" rather than "On My Mac" and it'll show on all your iCloud enabled devices, but it won't show on the web interface. I think they should. Would be an improvement, IMO.

Add a feature to directly save files to iCloud like you could use iDisk, and allow access to iCloud storage through the web interface.

These two things would make a big difference to me, at the minute the calendar issue is a huge drawback for me personally, as I subscribe to a few calendars but would need some way of accessing them through a browser, like Google Calendar does.

Photostream would be great too, but two above I want more.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I still haven't figured out when I'd be able to access any of this information via the web, but not access it via the app on the mobile device. ...even quicker and more secure than a web browser. When is this web UI useful?

Apple created this great semi-intelligent cloud built around the concept that the more invisible it is, the better, which seems to be the right way forward evidenced by the popularity of iCloud and Dropbox...

what's the UI for?

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Well maybe Apple is building a way for devs to build an iCloud UI for their apps in the same way that iWork has a spot on iCloud.com.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
who cares about additional apps that u can just get on the appstore. i hope they tweak the actual OS a little, its so dated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.