Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Is there any fix for this? Wife uses the OtterBox case and she just noticed that it was very difficult to push the button down. What can the Apple store do, if anything?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Is there any fix for this? Wife uses the OtterBox case and she just noticed that it was very difficult to push the button down. What can the Apple store do, if anything?

Is the button hard to push down with the Otterbox case on or is the button hard to push down in general? :confused:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I saw in another thread a while back that someone trimmed the metal on the button or the case around the button to make it work better. If it truly doesn't work right take it in first.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
This is the problem with Otterbox cases- they cake dust and nasty things into the phone.. as you can see by the home buttons becoming stiff, the dock getting really dirty, etc.. you could either take it to Apple or if you don't have warranty find someone to fix it, should be about $40.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Mine won't work anymore either. $150 to get it fixed from apple so I just set it to turn it off after 2 minutes and waiting for the new iPhone.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Yeah, the Apple retail store will likely tell you that it will cost $150 to fix, likely replacing your phone with a refurbished one.

iBrickedMyPsp

macrumors member
May 7, 2012

well if it is what im thinking i had like "dirt" or some black crap around the sides and i got it out with a little staple just scraping gently around sides

ppsla

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
la
Iphone off button not needed

If your iphone's off button is stuck or broken, you can still use all the functions of the phone. To turn on the iphone, you can just use the home button. What you need is just an application that turns off the iphone. Unfortunately Apple does not permit any application to do that, but if you jailbreak your phone you can install an application called PowerIcons for free. (launch Cydia and do a search for Shutdown.) But be careful. PowerIcon will give you four choices: shutdown, safemode, respring, reboot. If you're running your iphone and you press shutdown, it will turn off your phone immediately. However you will not be able to turn it back on with just the home button and you will be carrying a brick. If you do this accidentally, you can recover by plugging your iphone into a power source using your cable. This will turn on your iphone on again. To power down use the respring option. This will restart the springboard and assuming you have a password protection enabled it will ask for your password. Press cancel and the phone will timeout and powerdown. A bit kludgy, but you'll be able to use your iphone without the off button. Hope this helps.

bwerner25

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Texas
Just use assistive touch. I got my phone on craigslist for a steal with a busted lock button and have used assistive touch ever since I got it. It's been an easy switch and saved me 50 bucks.

Just go to

Settings>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch

Then there will be a see through box with a circle in it on the screen. Hit it, then Hit device, then Hit lock screen.

Boom

Jeremyrap

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I just noticed this on my 4s yesterday. I use an otterbox also. 15 minutes before it was working than it is almost flush with the frame and it is very hard to push but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.