Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Hi,

I urgently need help regrading the following:

1) I have a locked iPhone 4. It was running on 4.0.2 before I upgraded it to 5.0.1 using redsnow to preserve the basbeband 1.59
2) It was running fine for 3 month, but just today it can't register on the network, and keeps saying "searching"
3)I tried reinstalling ultrasnow, but still the same problem
34 I want to restore to 5.0.1 while preserving the BB

here is what i tried:

1)I have the shsh blob saved in tiny umbrella. I created a custom firmware with redsnow (NO_BB), then stitched the shsh blob to the custom FW. WHen i try to restore with iTunes i get an error 21 (when in pawned DFU mode) and error 1600 (when in recovery mode).

2) I used redsnow to "Fix recovery", but still same errors as above

What am I doing wrong?

Your prompt response is highly appreciated.

thanks

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Your host is still set to cydia for the old firmwares:

Open TinyUmbrella, go to advanced and UNcheck Set host to cydia, close TU, try again to restore in Pwn-ed DFU or normal DFU.

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Your host is still set to cydia for the old firmwares:

Open TinyUmbrella, go to advanced and UNcheck Set host to cydia, close TU, try again to restore in Pwn-ed DFU or normal DFU.

thanks for your quick response. I have unchecked set host to cydia before restoring. I have also tried restoring on both mac an pc with same results.
any other ideas :confused:

thanks again

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
it's a PC? not a Mac?

try restarting pc and try again, if it still give same 21 or 1600 error your host file is still pointing to Cydia.

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
it's a PC? not a Mac?

try restarting pc and try again, if it still give same 21 or 1600 error your host file is still pointing to Cydia.

Its a mac, but i have also tried restoring on a pc

----------

I am also using iTunes 10.6 (40) on mac....if this has any significance..

----------

here is how the hosts files looks like under (sudo nano /private/etc/hosts) and (sudo nano /etc/hosts) :

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
127.0.0.1 secure.mfluent.com

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
find your host file on your MAC

it's hidden and in /ETC

Edit the the host file so that it reads: # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

You can't edit that directly, move it to desktop, edit with txteditor save and put back in /ETC folder overwriting old host file

Now try again in DFU-mode

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Download TinyUmbrella
Open it, go to Advanced Tab
Check or uncheck the point host file to Cydia (clear cache if needed)
Type gs.apple.com into browser to confirm where host file points

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Download TinyUmbrella
Open it, go to Advanced Tab
Check or uncheck the point host file to Cydia (clear cache if needed)
Type gs.apple.com into browser to confirm where host file points

Thanks,

I already have the set host to cydia UNCHECKED

when I type gs.apple.com , the browser takes me to http://www.apple.com/404 Page not found

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Did he clear his cache.
I have had issues with having to clear cache and reset Safari before to get this to switch over.

Used to have that on Snow Leopard and older TU, with Lion and latest TU switching is always good.

----------

Thanks,

I already have the set host to cydia UNCHECKED

when I type gs.apple.com , the browser takes me to http://www.apple.com/404 Page not found

good to go than, same as i have

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
darn still no luck, error 21 in pawned DFU and error 1600 in regular DFU..

:confused:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
still pointing at cydia than

did you clear the cache like dhlizard suggested?
what version of TU are you using, latest is 5.10.15

you can also try to remove completely the lines with
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Than restart

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
still pointing at cydia than

did you clear the cache like dhlizard suggested?
what version of TU are you using, latest is 5.10.15

you can also try to remove completely the lines with
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Than restart

I am using the latest version of TU. I cleared safaris's cache.
i will try removing all entries from host file. silly question, does the TSS server in TU needs to be running? my trials were WITHOUT TSS server.

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
ok i have removed all entries from the hosts file, expect for the 127 localhost.
i cleared safari's cache. rebooted. pawned dfu mode. Error 21!!! :(

just to make it clear. iTunes starts by extracting files, then it says preparing iPhone for restore, then the apple logo comes on the iPhone screen, then iTunes gives error 21

this is not good!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
are you sure you are in DFU mode when doing this?

You get in by holding home and power together until phone turns off, keep hoding for 3 more seconds, than release power while holding home for 10 more seconds.

Afterwards your screen should be black, nothing showing and itunes recognizing it as an iphone inrecovery mode

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I use redsnow to get to DFU mode, and redsnow confirms the the phone is in DFU (it says exploiting with limera, then READY)

----------

could it be a problem with the blob? shall i stitch the blob from cydia instead of the local? but then again i don't think thats the problem cause redsnow is able verify the blob and says that the APTicket is present and valid :confused:

----------

and BTW, when i use the DFU method you described, i get error 1600. when i use the pawned DFU, i get error 21

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
:):):) I got it to work!!

I used snowbreeze on PC instead of redsnow on mac.

On PC:
-I extracted the SHSH blob from the iPhone using ifaith
-Used snow breeze to create a custom IPW (in faith mode to stitch the extracted blob)
-I also increased the part ions size to 2024 instead of 1024
-DFU, itunes shift restore.. Viola!!

I really don't know why i couldn't get it to work on mac using . I even tried to restore on the pc before, but i was using the firmware created by redsnow. I still got the 1600 error. But when using the custome firmware created by snowbreeze, worked like a dream!! Now my phone is restored to FW5.0.1 BB1.59 and signal is back !

Thank you all for your help :):)

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
On PC:
-I extracted the SHSH blob from the iPhone using ifaith
-Used snow breeze to create a custom IPW (in faith mode to stitch the extracted blob)
-I also increased the part ions size to 2024 instead of 1024
-DFU, itunes shift restore.. Viola!!

help plz.

1. Do you mean the dump option in ifaith to extract the SHSH blob?
2. I can't find faith mode in snow breeze.
3. how and where to set the part ions size to 2020 instead of 1024?

thanks!

akadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
help plz.

1. Do you mean the dump option in ifaith to extract the SHSH blob?
2. I can't find faith mode in snow breeze.
3. how and where to set the part ions size to 2020 instead of 1024?

thanks!

1.Yes. Follow the wizard to get in DFU mode
2.On snowbreez, after you select the IPSW, you have 4 options, Ifaith mode, simple mode, Expert mode, and baseband preservation mode.
3.Its the partition size, auto correct spelled it wrong. Once you are in Ifaith mode, you select the blob file to stitch, and then there is a "General" button. Partition side is under that.

This http://goo.gl/ncdca might help you, but its talking about "Expert mode" rather than "iFaith mode". Lemme know how it goes.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
1.Yes. Follow the wizard to get in DFU mode
2.On snowbreez, after you select the IPSW, you have 4 options, Ifaith mode, simple mode, Expert mode, and baseband preservation mode.
3.Its the partition size, auto correct spelled it wrong. Once you are in Ifaith mode, you select the blob file to stitch, and then there is a "General" button. Partition side is under that.

This http://goo.gl/ncdca might help you, but its talking about "Expert mode" rather than "iFaith mode". Lemme know how it goes.

Yes, understood all pointers above, but is getting this error in iFaith

iFaithUnknowniOSDetected.jpg

I've been trying to fix my iPhone 4 GSM and tried all possible methods where I started a thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1357474/

Thanks for your help!

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Was reading this thread, but just fyi found a solution to the error 21 problem in another thread.

Stitching the original fw first, then creating custom firmware (in this order) worked. Was spending hours trying to figure the problem out.

NewMacFan2011

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Is there any way that you can post a more "iPhone for Dummies" version. I'm having the same problem and only have access to a Mac right now. I could have access to a PC next week. Thanks for the help in advance. You seem to be describing the same issue I have encountered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.