Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
There are a few stories on the web about a June release date of Mountain Lion (Apple Insider, namely).

What are the chances of this happening?

Will a new Mac Pro and Mountain Lion appear at the same time?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There are some API's in IOS 6.0 that will be compatible with Mountain Lion so it won't be out until IOS 6.0 is released and that won't happen at WWDC because developers will be getting their first hands on it there.

Usually it's about 2 months after WWDC that IOS is released so I'm going to say August.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I agree - given what I have heard of the DP’s we are still a bit off from a release - we might get something much closer by WWDC (with more frequent updates) but we are only on update 3.5 or whatever. It is way too early yet.

When Apple says late summer we should look at that as optimistic.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Nowhere close. I'm using it daily but at times I am like ARG! Without breaking NDA Ill say its close but nowhere near close to release. I'd say Fall seems more likely. If Apple released ML in the next 2-3 months. Ill wait to run it full time in production. Apple though is on the right track with ML. Its everything Lion was suppose to be.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
So, basically, Appleinsider is starting to look like an Appleoutsider on this matter.

Bracing for a late August or September release then... ;)

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So, basically, Appleinsider is starting to look like an Appleoutsider on this matter.

Bracing for a late August or September release then... ;)

September 21st is the end of Summer. I doubt it'll be released later than September... certainly not the end of August. But anything can happen.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
ML is not even close to polished. They better not release it early.

Totally agree.

The integration with all major software applications should be worked out. Didn't Snow Leopard have some major trouble when it was released?

Rather have it fit as a fiddle in October than buggy in early September.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Nowhere close. I'm using it daily but at times I am like ARG! Without breaking NDA Ill say its close but nowhere near close to release. I'd say Fall seems more likely. If Apple released ML in the next 2-3 months. Ill wait to run it full time in production. Apple though is on the right track with ML. Its everything Lion was suppose to be.
Thanks for the sage advice. Reading between the lines, I'm encouraged.

As one with a tremendous amount of patience, I'd much rather see it released later than sooner. There's a lot to be said for a well sorted OS.

I certainly expect some bugs, it's a lot of code. Yet that said, if Apple truly focuses on delivering a good public release they'll come away looking very good.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I not only wish a mature release, but also one that's slimmed down a bit.

I like a rather slim OS, not something bloated with a million features.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Thanks for the sage advice. Reading between the lines, I'm encouraged.

As one with a tremendous amount of patience, I'd much rather see it released later than sooner. There's a lot to be said for a well sorted OS.

I certainly expect some bugs, it's a lot of code. Yet that said, if Apple truly focuses on delivering a good public release they'll come away looking very good.

I like ML a lot so far. Apple is doing good things with OSX again and that makes me happy.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I like ML a lot so far. Apple is doing good things with OSX again and that makes me happy.
I follow your posts and value your opinions. This is extremely good to hear.

I'm very Pro-OS X and frankly I've been very discouraged lately.
(perhaps it's all the rumors, questionable reports, et al).

Having been a serious Apple enthusiast since 1991, someone who's relied on their computers daily, I was dreading the thought of Apple dumbing down the OS.

Now at this juncture, I have a renewed level of confidence.

Thanks! :)

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I follow your posts and value your opinions. This is extremely good to hear.

I'm very Pro-OS X and frankly I've been very discouraged lately.
(perhaps it's all the rumors, questionable reports, et al).

Having been a serious Apple enthusiast since 1991, someone who's relied on their computers daily, I was dreading the thought of Apple dumbing down the OS.

Now at this juncture, I have a renewed level of confidence.

Thanks! :)

I agree, I feel a little bit better about Mountain Lion... I was thinking I would be on Snow Leopard until it wasn't really feasible anymore and then switch back to Ubuntu. Mountain Lion makes me think that might not be necessary. It is sad though that the most exciting features of Mountain Lion so far (at least for me) are things that give us back what we already had in Snow Leopard.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The Apple NZ site states that it'll be out by the end of August, but I don't know when it was last updated.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
The Apple NZ site states that it'll be out by the end of August, but I don't know when it was last updated.

Actually, the NZ site says it's coming in the winter:

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-13%20at%2013.17.45.png

To see it: http://www.apple.com/nz/mac/

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway

What NDA? Can't remember I had to sign any NDA on my Apple Developer account in order to test OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, perhaps I overlooked something..

Mountain Lion in June seems early, but not entirely impossible if Apple crank up the development, but at the current state I've had more major bugs with the Mountain Lion Developer Preview than I had with Mac OS X Lion so let's hope they won't rush the release and aim towards a mid to end summer release instead of a June one.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
What NDA? Can't remember I had to sign any NDA on my Apple Developer account in order to test OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, perhaps I overlooked something..

Check again. Last time I tested stuff for Apple I had to agree to a NDA - the one I did was actually signed. Yours might not have been, but trust me, it is under NDA. It’s not a public information at all. Whatever comes out when it’s released is due to people breaking NDA.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Mountain Lion in June seems early, but not entirely impossible if Apple crank up the development, but at the current state I've had more major bugs with the Mountain Lion Developer Preview than I had with Mac OS X Lion so let's hope they won't rush the release and aim towards a mid to end summer release instead of a June one.

You never read this whenever you download seeds ?

"Legal Notices
The pre-release software identified above is Apple Confidential Information and your use of such software is subject to your Registered Apple Developer Agreement and Mac Developer Program License Agreement. Distributing such pre-release software to anyone other than another Registered Apple Developer who is working for the same entity as you is considered a violation of your agreement with Apple and is damaging to both Apple and those who develop for the Apple platform. We sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep this pre-release software Confidential.
You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or Confidential Information received from Apple (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed countries (currently, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria) without first obtaining proper authorization from the U.S. Government; or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person's List or Entity List. You also agree that you will not use said software for any purposes where prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missile, chemical or biological weapons."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.