Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I always do this. I don't have a problem with the edit function, as I occasionally use it. I do however worry I'll accidentally clear the entire conversation. Why is that even an option, much less such an easily accessible one? It is somewhat redundant and unnecessary when you could just swipe-delete the conversation from the list. This removes the whole conversation from the list, whereas "clear conversation" leaves an empty window. I can't imagine when you would want to wipe it clear and leave a blank box. Anybody?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you ever used iOS 1.0 through 2.2.1? They didn't have that edit function and it was a requested feature.

Most people use it to hide one or two things in a conversation from other people. Before the only way to hide something was to remove everything said to one contact. Then there are some people that like to remove old conversations or conversations that have ended.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No my first one is the 4s. That sounds a lot like apple - not include the most basic, primitive features that have been on phones for a decade like deleting individual texts and copy and paste, wait until it is nearly unanimously complained about and then implement it poorly and intrusively with no option to disable it.

I love my iPhone, I just hate the limitations imposed by Apple.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I always do this. I don't have a problem with the edit function, as I occasionally use it. I do however worry I'll accidentally clear the entire conversation. Why is that even an option, much less such an easily accessible one? It is somewhat redundant and unnecessary when you could just swipe-delete the conversation from the list. This removes the whole conversation from the list, whereas "clear conversation" leaves an empty window. I can't imagine when you would want to wipe it clear and leave a blank box. Anybody?

This is exactly how I use Messages. Edit -> Clear All.

It leaves their name up when I open Messages, which makes it easy to go back to them.

To go back to the user when using "Clear All":
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap user's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Messages method):
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap Compose button.
3) Start typing person's name.
4) Pick from the list for their SMS number, personal iMessage account, or professional iMessage account.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Phone/Contacts method):
1) Tap Contacts icon (or Phone -> Contacts)
2) Scroll through huge list of names and tap the person's name you want.
3) Scroll to bottom of contact and tap "Send Message".
4) Pick from the list for their SMS number, personal iMessage account, or professional iMessage account.

Basically, the "Edit -> Clear All" method clears out the conversation and makes it quicker/easier to return to that person again at a later time. You can get things done *twice* as fast!

Clearing out the conversation helps performance slightly if the conversation history is HUGE and/or full of lots of images sent back and forth. It's a nice feature.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Fair enough however I hit that edit button at least once a day, and many times I am prompted to "clear conversation" which I have never used

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is exactly how I use Messages. Edit -> Clear All.

It leaves their name up when I open Messages, which makes it easy to go back to them.

To go back to the user when using "Clear All":
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap user's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Messages method):
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap Compose button.
3) Start typing person's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Phone/Contacts method):
1) Tap Contacts icon (or Phone -> Contacts)
2) Scroll through huge list of names and tap the person's name you want.
3) Scroll to bottom of contact and tap "Send Message".

Basically, the "Edit -> Clear All" method clears out the conversation and makes it quicker/easier to return to that person again at a later time. You can get things done *twice* as fast!

Clearing out the conversation helps performance slightly if the conversation history is HUGE and/or full of lots of images sent back and forth. It's a nice feature.

Your reason is legit, however I accidentally hit "edit" and "clear conversation" far more than I do it deliberately. I almost never use clear conversation. I'd say this happens to me at least once a day, and it freaks me out because I come so close to erasing an entire conversation.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Accidentally clearing was a HUGE issue with the iPhone 3G because there was no edit button first. Just a clear button and then a massive confirm button poped up at the bottom.I accidentally cleared multiple convos back then and haven't done it since.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Accidentally clearing was a HUGE issue with the iPhone 3G because there was no edit button first. Just a clear button and then a massive confirm button poped up at the bottom.I accidentally cleared multiple convos back then and haven't done it since.

Man that would have driven me insane, glad they fixed that. It's still annoying as is though I think

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
OP, not too often.

What I do experience often is improperly tapping "send". It seems I frequently need to tap it several times to actually find the sweet spot to activate sending the message. It's probably just my tapping habit but I wish the send button was slightly larger.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.