Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Part leaks from the next-generation iPhone are beginning to ramp up, with component vendor SW-BOX.com having recently added a new headphone jack/earpiece/Wi-Fi cable part claimed to be from the device (via Cydia Blog). The new part joins a claimed micro-SIM tray that surfaced on the site several weeks ago and home buttons that appeared on several sites late last month.

iphone_5_headphone_jack_earpiece_cable.jpg

If the new part is indeed legitimate, it does represent a significant departure from the component organization in the current iPhone. In the iPhone 4 and 4S, the headphone jack, volume buttons, and mute switch are grouped together on a single component, while this new part associates the headphone jack with the earpiece speaker and Wi-Fi cabling.

It is not terribly unusual for Apple to tweak the organization of components, and the new part leak offers essentially no information on any potential changes to the device's form factor, but with part leaks beginning to accelerate it may not be long before more substantial parts begin showing up.

Update: The center feature of the part appears to be more reminiscent of the dock connector rather than the earpiece, suggesting that the headphone jack may be moving to the bottom of the next-generation iPhone, as has been the arrangement in the iPod touch.

Article Link: 'iPhone 5' Headphone Jack and Earpiece Component Surfaces

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I wonder why there hasn't been any MBP parts / news recently :(

Apple is not like other OEMs and announces specs pre-release. Also, there's significantly less glitz and glam surrounding MBPs and MBAs than iPhones and iPads - people don't care as much. Apple doesn't even own 10% of the computer market. Other OEMs have been announcing Ivy Bridge models because that's what they do - announce in advance, though many aren't on sale until mid June or so. Just keep waiting patiently.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Looks silly. If the iPhone 5 looks anything like that it's going to flop badly.

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
To be honest, I think it IS indeed the part for the next gen iPhone. I mean, I know how apple would release false parts just to confuse us, but how many times in the past has "parts rumor" been proven wrong?

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
With all these components surfacing this early I don't see them waiting till October to release.

I think that given the "small" changes the iPhone 4 and 4S had it shouldn't take a whole extra year to create and produce a new one, I'm very optimistic and pretty sure the new iPhone will be released by the end of June.

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
Interesting! I can't wait! Although I just bought a 4S a couple months ago so I hope they don't launch it in October! lol

Ummm what? When DO you want them to launch it? When YOUR contract is up? Pftt.

With all these components surfacing this early I don't see them waiting till October to release.

Hopefully. Im really holding out for going back to the summer plan. They only went to October in the first place because they had to suddenly resort to Plan B, aka the iPhone 4S.

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
It stands to reason that the 6th Gen iPhone will, in fact, be rectangular.

----------

Interesting! I can't wait! Although I just bought a 4S a couple months ago so I hope they don't launch it in October! lol

Bought my iPhone 4s days after launch. Jokes on you

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It stands to reason that the 6th Gen iPhone will, in fact, be rectangular.

----------

Bought my iPhone 4s days after launch. Jokes on you

Bet you got tied into a 3-year contract though, would you be dishing the $650 for the next iPhone?

I bought an iPhone 4S on day of launch, due to my dying iPhone 3G. Got to say, it's a giant leap, but i was disappointed as I should have just bought the 4.
However, the next iPhone looks like a major update, so i'll definitely be buying it.

I predict another October release for the next iPhone, and I believe Apple will stick to this release cycle for the next while until they launch another significant and high grossing product.. iTV maybe?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Without Steve Jobs the iPhone is doomed. This design looks like a real mess, thanks Tim.

Lareson

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Whether or not the new iPhone is released in June or October, I'll be getting it as my contract for my iPhone 4 goes up on June 22nd.

At least it's nice to see that they combined the earpiece and the headphone jack into one part, as they pretty much serve the same function. The volume buttons, silent switch, and headphone jack part in the 4/4S was pretty much done for location convenience vs function. Also having the WiFi cable attached to this means that it's moved from the back panel, like it is on the 4/4S design. I would like to see what the other side of this looks like as it'll show whether or not the call speaker has moved. This view is from the back as if you were to open it up, this would be what you'd see.

This is looking like it's becoming a new design, even though this is the first true internal part. The SIM card tray and Home button were not that big of changes, but were noticeable, but not as obvious as this. Complete reconfiguration of the connections. Also from what I'm noticing, without there being a ruler next to it to correctly estimate the size, it looks like it's the current width as well. :(

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Ah, very interesting. But please, we need one more rumor about the home button, so I can continue to feel excitement in my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.