Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
My brother is gonna buy an iMac next week so should I tell him to wait?? I told him new iMacs were due to come out this summer but he says he couldnt wait!!
I think I'm gonna try and convince him to wait it out another month not for the minimal speed bump but for the (hopefully) redesign??

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
johnny_drama_victory.jpg

Mac news at last!!!

Last edited:

ChancyJohn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I like AMD, I have an AMD 6770 rn, but I hope they use NVIDIA for Cuda, and their drivers aren't absolute ****. I really wish AMD would step up though.

Am also hoping for some info on the GPU ... I really need a decent GPU in the entry 15" ... would prefer the 13" but guess a discrete GPU in that is unlikely ...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I find this news hard to believe, where did they get the MacbookPro and iMac from?
Somebody forgot it in a bar.:eek:

Edit : Sorry didn't read this↓↓↓↓↓↓

Such pre-mature benchmarks have shown up in Geekbench's database prior to new hardware launches from Apple in the past. Consequently, it is feasible that these results do represent genuine machines due for launch in the near future.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The iMac might just be using a single memory channel with a single 4GB DIMM for testing. You'd expect shipping configurations to be dual channel of course and hopefully 8GB standard, at least for high-end models.

I don't think that makes a difference to geekbench.

Here are my scores with 1600 MHz RAM

Memory performance 5511
Memory bandwidth performance 6925

With 1333 MHz RAM

Memory performance 5014
Memory bandwidth performance 5948

The scores in the article look odd to me.

ChancyJohn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Well that is a little more than triple the speed of my early 2009 iMac. At what point do you get off the treadmill and say fast enough? My MacBook is over five years old and is starting to decay so I'll update that which will then be triple the speed of my iMac.

Woo hoo... web pages will decode in 1/30th of a second instead of 1/10th of a second!

If u play games like I do ... u ll never get off the treadmill :) :) :)

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I find this news hard to believe, where did they get the MacbookPro and iMac from?

That's because you don't understand the story. They didn't "get" anything. These stats are uploaded to the 'net when you run the benchmarks. They're collected by Geekbench in their database to give a comparison of different machines.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
yes! finally some interesting rumors...I sincerely hope this isn´t faked, Im so ready to replace my early 2009 iMac.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Man. Apple should capitalize on the Thunderbolt lead by releasing peripherals for Macs. External Thunderbolt graphics would be fantastic for all the Macbook models.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008

You don't think Apple runs Geekbench on their development boxes, at Apple? I asume that uploading the scores was an oversight.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Excuse my technical ignorance :) But my 2010 Mac Book Pro Scores 5285 on Geekbench. Does that mean that if the 12000+ figure is correct in this story, that a new macbook pro would more than double the performance of my current machine in real word situations (Adobe CS6 / Logic Pro)?

jaminunit

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Finlay some real mac news! not just hay a new store is opening or a new crap game is release in the app store!

But it mussed be hard with apples crazy tight lips to get any news.

I would love to know if the new imacs have SSD system drives standard?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's because you don't understand the story. They didn't "get" anything. These stats are uploaded to the 'net when you run the benchmarks. They're collected by Geekbench in their database to give a comparison of different machines.

Thanks for explaining, makes sense.

You need to pay for the 64-bit version.

Ok, but does that mean this benchmarks where done in 32 bit, and if so wouldn't those benchmarks be higher in 64-bit?
Can a new MBPro/iMac even run 32-bit?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
My brother is gonna buy an iMac next week so should I tell him to wait?? I told him new iMacs were due to come out this summer but he says he couldnt wait!!
I think I'm gonna try and convince him to wait it out another month not for the minimal speed bump but for the (hopefully) redesign??

Tell him to wait, but I wouldn't count on a redesign.

In addition to the speed bump, the iMacs should get USB 3.0, if he cares about that...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Ok, but does that mean this benchmarks where done in 32 bit, and if so wouldn't those benchmarks be higher in 64-bit?
Can a new MBPro/iMac even run 32-bit?

Not by a lot, you'd have to optimize the benchmark tool to take specific advantage of the 64-bit registers but really, it's not that much faster.

Also it doesn't matter if the Macs itself are 64-bit only, they can still run 32-bit apps.

psharp

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like I might be able to replace my 2006 MBP before I go abroad for a year and can't bring my iMac!

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I just geekbench'd my desktop with an i3 clarkdale and 8GB of RAM, and that macbook is triple - quadruple my performance :O

Oh, btw can we get a link to the actual geekbench score, or a full page screenshot or something?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I'm confident the air's were held back specifically for the lion features, like Internet recovery. Seeing as the air's take so many ques from wireless, and storage advancements.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Tell him to wait, but I wouldn't count on a redesign.

In addition to the speed bump, the iMacs should get USB 3.0, if he cares about that...

Hmm.... Well he's gonna use it mostly for CS6 so a small speed bump might help him out and I don't think he would care much for USB 3!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.