Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloudicon-150x136.jpg

The Wall Street Journal briefly reports that Apple is planning to unveil an upgrade to iCloud at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), with one of the main new features being a photo-sharing functionality.
The new features, expected to be announced at Apple's world-wide developer conference beginning June 11, will allow iCloud users to share sets of photos with other iCloud users and to comment on them, these people said. Currently, users can only store one set of photos in iCloud through a feature called Photo Stream, which is designed to sync those photos to other Apple devices, not share them.
Apple also appears to be looking to extend the Photo Stream feature to videos, allowing users to access their personal videos through iCloud. Finally, the report confirms that the Notes and Reminders icons spotted on a beta.icloud.com site late last week will be associated with new functionality to sync those services via iCloud for access through both dedicated apps and the iCloud website.

All of the new iCloud features are expected to make their way into iOS 6, which is also expected to be previewed at WWDC.

Article Link: Apple to Upgrade iCloud with Photo Sharing, Notes and Reminders on iCloud.com

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Definitely a step in the right direction. I would like to share photos to non-iCloud users though (like MobileMe had it before). It would be nice to give someone a link to view your albums like Flickr.

I currently use Flickr but consolidation of services is key.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I'm just glad that iCloud is already working so much better than MobileMe. Hopefully they'll keep it up!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Isn't it obvious? More iCloud integration! Woo!

Edit:
I'd love iCloud integration with the music app in iOS. Like downcast.

I agree. There is a lot of work that can be done with iCloud when it comes to things like podcasts. If they can implement something like downcast or instacast, that would be awesome.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Add in "comments" and "likes" and an individual iCloud user wall and you have a watered-down version of Facebook (only it's run by Apple). I honestly wouldn't mind something like that.

WWDC!!!!! Hurry!!

Add in "comments" and "likes" and an individual iCloud user wall and you have a watered-down version of Facebook (only it's run by Apple). I honestly wouldn't mind something like that.

Yeah, Apple has struggled with social, but they have enough services that I think could create a pretty killer iCloud social network... but I'm not really into social networks anymore..

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Updates to iCloud are always welcome. I hope iPhoto on the Mac is updated to include something similar to Photo Journals on the iPad.

Still I have to finish download all my mobile galleries (photos and videos) from my MobileMe account before it gets deleted next month... :(

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I've been looking forward to photo-sharing out of my photo-stream for a long time. It's still the second biggest feature-loss from MobileMe, aside from iDisk.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
there is a god, finally photo sharing. photo stream is useless to me as i take many screen shots and temporarily store a lot which i dont need on all of my devices

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Wouldn't it be nice if you could share playlist's ?

It would be awesome if they do a Spotify-like service and the above being one of the features (which Spotify, Rdio, MOG, etc all have as well).

You have to imagine is only a matter of time before they do it. Streaming is gaining some traction.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Wall Street Journal said:
Currently, users can only store one set of photos in iCloud through a feature called Photo Stream, which is designed to sync those photos to other Apple devices, not share them.

This is not true. iPhoto for iOS also allows sharing of photos via the Photo Journals feature introduced recently. It's been widely assumed that iPhoto for OS X would also gain this feature, which would likely be what this is meant to reference. Poorly researched article...

jW

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Can't wait for June 11th.

Although I hope Apple whips up something else really new and fresh. I think it's expected that Notes/Reminders Syncing & Photo Sharing would be out eventually.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm looking forward to note syncing between iOS, iCloud, and Mountain Lion most, I think.

I hope Apple does it just right... the new ML app should work exactly like Stickies has since god knows when (OS 9? Earlier?), except now with syncing, and iOS's app needs to gain several new features like:
- Easy to format text
- Ability to insert a variety of files (images, videos, audio clips,)
- Syncing!

Some ability to easily sort them would be nice, too...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
That would be great for updated features to PhotoStream.

And is it, or any iCloud feature a part of AppleTV? That would be grand to watch pictures or videos straight on it via the internet connection (though I guess there is airplay anyway).

I've wanted to show on a larger scale some photos I've taken and thought viewable on a monitor would be terrific.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sounds like they want to take Photo Journals and make them even more Facebook-ish.

Ugh.

Just give us back what MobileMe Galleries did. They were great and no one else offers a product quite as easy to use.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Just give us back what MobileMe Galleries did. They were great and no one else offers a product quite as easy to use.

YES!

I agree 100%. The ability to have public and private (via login) galleries was just awesome. It was easy to share online too. Flickr does a good job, but it doesn't have the abilities to share a private (login required) album to a select group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.