Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPlay is a technology that seamlessly moves audio and video from device to device in the Apple ecosystem. It's built into the iPhone, iPad, and -- most importantly -- the Apple TV set-top box. Among other things, AirPlay can be used to send video from iPhone apps like YouTube, MLB.tv, or WatchESPN to the AppleTV.

espnairplay.jpg

Apple hasn't advertised AirPlay as strongly as some other features, like the iPhone 4S's Siri, though it did run a television ad after the iPhone 4 was introduced in 2011. That said, it's surprising that Glenn A. Britt, the chief executive of Time Warner Cable said he hadn't heard of the service, according to the New York Times.
"I'm not sure I know what AirPlay is," he said, though he noted that he was an enthusiastic Apple customer. "Today we want to be on every screen. Today it's a little bit clunky to get programming from the Internet onto the TV -- not so hard to get it on your iPad. What's hard is the plumbing, what wires do you connect, what device do you use. So the current Apple TV, the little thing, the hockey puck, really doesn't do anything to help enable you to get Internet material on your TV."
Ironically, Apple has solved Britt's problem -- though he wasn't aware of it -- but the company is not pushing AirPlay too strongly upon its users, nor the media companies. The Apple TV natively supports only a handful of third party services like streaming MLB, NHL, and NBA games, as well as Netflix.

However, AirPlay support has allowed many apps to send "programming from the Internet onto the TV", just as Britt wants, and could foreshadow the market segment a rumored Apple television set would fill.

Article Link: Time Warner Cable CEO Hasn't Heard of Apple's AirPlay

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the CEO of a company has no clue ... shocker

how else could anyone explain their 90s business models

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Nice to see he's keeping himself up to date with the latest technologies! ;)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Honestly, I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't know what AirPlay is.

I've never used it myself personally. I wish it would be incorporated into Lion (or Mountain Lion) so that I could just stream things or mirror my iPhone/iPad to my iMac that's connected to my TV. That'd be nice. I know there're third party applications that can help do this, but a 1st party solution would be most ideal.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
AirPlay for video is great but what they don't tell you is that when you shoot HD video on an iPhone and then want to play that video on your TV, you have to wait upwards of 2-5 minutes or more for the video to buffer enough for a seamless playback. The longer the video the longer the buffer time. Even AirPlay of a movie on your iPad to an Apple TV is faster because the video is compressed, not quite as raw or high res and it is constantly buffering it seems. But on iPhone/iPad shot HD footage, it can take a while. Yet there is no easier way to do it because even if you sync your phone to your Mac and import the video, it must be converted even if you don't edit it, and added to iTunes for playback.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The comment shows ignorance well beyond just AirPlay. TVs and Blu-ray players commonly come internet-ready w/a variety of apps either pre-installed or available to download for free not to mention products like Roku and every current gen video game console allowing people to easily funnel IP-based content onto their TV w/just an HDMI cable.

The 'plumbing problem' has been solved.

Lethal

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Britt's day is going to get really bad once he finds out first what airplay is and the second what Apple is planing to do with Airplay integration in Mountain Lion.

Yeah for Big Business!! Hahaha fail.

Basefree

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Who says he was sincere. Maybe it was a dig at Apple. Maybe it was his way of dismissing Airplay and refocusing the conversation on his own company.

Nice to see you giving him the benefit of the doubt in our hate-first-and-ask-questions-never forum culture, but when he talks about the plumbing and wires and not knowing anything about which devices to use, he doesn't sound like he's being ironic. He sounds like a n00b.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I'll be straight up - I cut the cable a long time ago and use every other means available to me to get the content I want up on my HDTV. I don't miss cable or satellite a bit. Too damn expensive for the few networks I want.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
*That* is why cable tv is doomed ... made by dinosaurs for dinosaurs. They have no idea what is going on in the world and have no interest in improving things as long as the old model brings money. Once they wake up, it will be too late and they will blame the pirates for it.

Sure, and nobody is expecting that everybody knows it - my Mom does not know and there is no need for her to know (at least not yet). BUT: from someone running a huge media company, I would expect that they know what is going on in THEIR market segment (or is potentially either improving or threatening it, depending on how well informed they are)

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Very true, but they’re probably not CEOs paid massive salaries to deal with (and speak about) challenges like the following:

"Today it’s a little bit clunky to get programming from the Internet onto the TV — not so hard to get it on your iPad.”

If only there were some easy way to get video from that iPad to your TV!

Perhaps Apple TV? Where does it get video from? Maybe from the Internet?

"So the current Apple TV, the little thing, the hockey puck, really doesn’t do anything to help enable you to get Internet material on your TV.”

Nope, I guess Apple TV gets material from... somewhere else. The grocery store, I think. :p

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Even though this dumb ass knows less about technology than my four year old, where he really fails is in surrounding himself with smart people.
Its not his job to read tech blogs to keep up with the latest and greatest(although he should). But it is his job to sit with smart advisors who can educate him on disruptive technologies. The fact that he doesn't know airplay and what an ATV does is beyond the pale.

I've never used it myself personally. I wish it would be incorporated into Lion (or Mountain Lion) so that I could just stream things or mirror my iPhone/iPad to my iMac that's connected to my TV. That'd be nice. I know there're third party applications that can help do this, but a 1st party solution would be most ideal.

No worries mate. Airplay mirroring is on the horizon with Mountain Lion :)

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia

As fas as streaming video/audio from your computer, iTunes and QuickTime both sport the AirPlay icon to stream to an Apple TV/Airport Express. Streaming the desktop is on it's way. Sort of like the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, 4 can stream audio/video to an Apple TV, the 4S can mirror it's screen :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
No worries mate. Airplay mirroring is on the horizon with Mountain Lion :)
Oh right! I had read that. Awesome! :cool:

EDIT:
As fas as streaming video/audio from your computer, iTunes and QuickTime both sport the AirPlay icon to stream to an Apple TV/Airport Express. Streaming the desktop is on it's way. Sort of like the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, 4 can stream audio/video to an Apple TV, the 4S can mirror it's screen :)
Indeed, I understand streaming from the computer or devices to an Apple TV, but I'm more interested in streaming from a device and using a computer in replacement as an Apple TV. No reason, I think, to have to go out and buy an Apple TV when the software can just be incorporated right into the computer I already have hooked up to my TV, ya' know? Evidently though, this is coming to Mountain Lion, which is awesome!

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I have a feeling Apple is keeping AirPlay somewhat low-key on purpose, not wanting to make the content providers too skittish. But when you’ve got 50, 100, 200 million devices in the market and you’ve got content providers like Time/Warner reliant on people watching their content via those devices making the decision to remove those apps will be very painful.

At some point I see Apple simply making AirPlay mandatory for video playing apps. What’s Disney, Viacom, Time/Warner, et. al., going to do? Bitch and moan like their publishing counter-parts did and then skulk back when they see how their bottom line is affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.