Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg confirms a report from earlier today that Apple is preparing to release thinner MacBook Pro models with Retina displays.

The models are to be released at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11 and will also include flash memory to "cut startup times and extend battery life". The report is likely a "controlled leak", something that Apple PR has been known to do in the past to share product details.

thin_mbp_15_comparison1.jpg

Mockup of thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro design (left) compared to current design (right)
Apple Inc. is preparing a new lineup of thinner MacBook laptops running on more powerful chips made by Intel Corp., people with knowledge of the plans said.

The MacBook Pro machines, to be unveiled at Apple's annual developers conference starting June 11, also will feature high- definition screens like those on the iPhone and iPad, as well as flash memory to cut startup times and extend battery life, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans haven't been made public.
The MacBook Pro lineup was last updated in October of 2011, though it hasn't had a substantial redesign since 2008.

Bloomberg also suggested that Apple will announce the launch date of the OS X Mountain Lion release that Apple previewed earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple to Release Thinner MacBook Pro at WWDC

soulniz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Sweet mother of Mac. It's finally happening, isn't it? Been waiting for this for a loong time.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
To be honest is losing something as vital as an Ethernet port worth those extra millimetres shaved off?

No I don't think it is. From the recent rumors, if they are any indication whatsoever, the tradeoffs are going to be really disappointing.

Form factor and weight look like they won't be improving as much as we thought, yet still at the expense of Ethernet and Firewire.

Now Firewire I'm happy to ditch for the versatility of USB 3.

But Ethernet? No, not happy to lose that at all.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
To be honest is losing something as vital as an Ethernet port worth those extra millimetres shaved off?

Yeah, Ethernet will be a big loss for many people, especially for a "professional" machine that is part of a local network. I'd be fairly surprised if this part of the rumor is actually true. I'd find it more likely that its slightly tapered and still keeps the ethernet.

atomicbloke

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
This will doom the company. The thinner laptops are worthless overpriced netbooks. Why pay so much money when you can have the same functionality with a $150 netbook?

Already android phones and tablets are driving Apple out of the market, and once they lose the PC market, the company will probably fold up by 2013-14 at the latest.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No Ethernet? I don't see this going down well. Thunderbolt hasn't been adopted enough for it to replace Ethernet.... yet. Will it do in the future, I'm not too convinced about that either. So far, to me, Thunderbolt has been FireWire 3.

uclamacguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2006
SuperDrive space use

What will go in the vacated SuperDrive area?

- BTO second HDD/SSD
- Bigger battery
- iPhone slot for: charge + auto-tethering option?

spyd4r

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Bloomberg confirms a report from earlier today that Apple is preparing to release thinner MacBook Pro models with Retina displays.

The models are to be released at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11 and will also include flash memory to "cut startup times and extend battery life". The report is likely a "controlled leak", something that Apple PR has been known to do in the past to share product details.

Mockup of thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro design (left) compared to current design (right)
The MacBook Pro lineup was last updated in October of 2011, though it hasn't had a substantial redesign since 2008.

Bloomberg also suggested that Apple will announce the launch date of the OS X Mountain Lion release that Apple previewed earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple to Release Thinner MacBook Pro at WWDC

no ethernet in a pro level laptop? WTF Apple.

edit: as soon as I hit send, i figured it out.. it's to upsell you to a Apple Thunderbolt Display...

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Hi-res screen for the MacBooks? Awesome.

Wonder if that means a retina iMac next year? Photo editing on that would be awesome!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I do miss MacBook Pro keynotes. Last one we had was back in October 2008 (early '09 for 17"), since then, the updates have been silent and mentioned after release in a keynote.

WWDC is so far away though - it kind of annoys me that if the laptop is ready now, to wait till then to release it when every other manufacture has been releasing Ivy Bridge laptops and they still sell their current lineup.

If we get a sneak peak of iOS 6, more Mountain Lion peaks/GM as well as new MacBook Pros, Apple will finally have had a keynote that excites me since 4 years ago!

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Superdrive (for me) is a complete waste of time. I haven't used it since I installed my music software 3 months ago, and now I use time machine I won't even need it to install on a future system.

As for ethernet, I don't use it either - I always use WiFi for all my devices and it works seamlessly. Maybe they will do a USB adapter (like the Wii) which will allow it when required.

I only got my newest Pro in January but I may be swayed if the spec jump is enough to warrant selling mine and adding a few £ more in June.

Time will tell.
:rolleyes:

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
It's not like the current size MBP is so thick that it ever prevents me from taking it anywhere. Is this thinness for the sake of thinness?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The Bloomberg article doesn't confirm anything. It just reiterates what is said at 9to5Mac but waits until the end of the story to credit them in a backhanded way.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This will doom the company. The thinner laptops are worthless overpriced netbooks. Why pay so much money when you can have the same functionality with a $150 netbook?

Already android phones and tablets are driving Apple out of the market, and once they lose the PC market, the company will probably fold up by 2013-14 at the latest.

Well. You got your 30 seconds of fame.
:rolleyes:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Do you really believe the graphics that removed the thunderbolt port from the left side? Obviously it could be insinuated that it was moved to the right, but I think they'll get a backlash if they remove ethernet. Anyway even if this happens, the rendered graphics aren't giving you a complete picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.