Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
My iBook power brick feels like it could almost burn me. Is it supposed to get this hot? I has been plugged in for only 1.5 hrs while ive been typing my science project.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm....I have two bricks for my iBook 12" G4/800, and neither of them get very warm. In fact, my ccomputer has been on (with maybe a small amount of sleeping) for about two hours this afternoon and I think the power brick is slightly cooler than palm rest! :eek: :rolleyes:

Do you have a 12" or a 14", and do you have a 50W or 65W brick? Both of my bricks are the lower power ones.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
I have a 45 watt power brick w/my 12 incher. Weird. Its way warmer than the palm rest while im surfing the net, but when im gaming, it about the same.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i used to leave my powerbook power brick in the wall most of the time.

the heat does vary - i guess it depends on how low your battery is / how much your laptop needs to be charged etc.

basically, it will get very hot. you needn't be worried.

edit: sorry, i thought you had a pb. if you have an ibook maybe you want to check this and see if you're covered:

http://www.apple-power-adapter-complaints.com

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
I'm pretty sure you should be using the 65W adaptor with the G4 ibook? The 45W adaptor is probably being overloaded and getting hot. The 45 W adaptor will work fine with your G3 Powerbook.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sly said:
I'm pretty sure you should be using the 65W adaptor with the G4 ibook? The 45W adaptor is probably being overloaded and getting hot. The 45 W adaptor will work fine with your G3 Powerbook.

I think they made a mid-cycle change... and/or there's a difference between 12" and 14" iBooks. My 12" shipped with the 50W adaptor. This is a square white brick, not the yo-yo, for mine at least.

amholl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
right, mines not a yoyo, and im not covered under the complaints thingy. ill go talk to them because i have to go in to get a new caps lock key,as my littlebro stepped on it and it crracked. thanks

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
The power brick on the Rev A 12" PB I recently sold got very hot. I don't think it used to get as hot as it does now, but I could be mistaken. My 15" PB brick doesn't get hot. If it is a defect, I would be happy to send the person I just bought a new brick or money for one; I certainly woudn't want the person who bought my PB to have a fire hazard. However, from what has been said so far in this thread, it doesn't seem to be a defect, so I am reassured. Anyone else know more about this or have info straight from Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.