Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I just lost my 1TB drive. 33,000+ tracks, 240 Movies, and I dont know how many TV Shows.
Collected from CD, DVDs before you start asking. I am not best please,
I managed to recover 7000 from various homeshared sources, redownload from itunes, and iripped back from iphone. 30 Movies recovered from homeshared sources, very l little TV.

Looks like I'll be ripping most of them back again.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
1.64 TB, 49,000 songs, a few movies.:D

All lossless compression.

DVD rips (800+) are on a separate external Raid 5 (6TB - almost full)

Bmoreguy03

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
Rocky Mount NC
Yea tell me what you think about this...... and once I have all my tv shows and movies loaded ill take a pic of that too. About 95% of my library is Itunes rips (AAC)... The good thing is that I have pics to back up what I say everyone else not so much

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.47.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.47.15 PM.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

iLoveStuff

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
I only have two songs; Stairway to Heaven and Highway to Hell.
I often play them on shuffle to surprise myself.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Currently sitting at around 750 GB. Most of them are lossless, so that's a large reason for the huge space. The rest are MP3s. I just removed about 150 GB of music, though. I don't exactly have the same taste in music as I did in high school.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
iTunes only? My collections is on my Powermac G5 and my macbook pro. Pales in comparison to some of you, but if we talk about all music including vinyl/tapes/un ripped cd's then you all have to bow down to me.:cool:

recordman11gp.jpg

recordman28km.jpg

originalrecords6qg.jpg

There is more, i'll take some pictures when i get home and post more.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
iTunes only? My collections is on my Powermac G5 and my macbook pro. Pales in comparison to some of you, but if we talk about all music including vinyl/tapes/un ripped cd's then you all have to bow down to me.:cool:

There is more, i'll take some pictures when i get home and post more.
How do you find what you are looking for in all of this?

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
How do you find what you are looking for in all of this?

Haha. I had no idea how to organize this at first. After purchasing 2 collections of about 5000 records each, it dawned on me that storage space was not my problem, it was finding a needle in a haystack. :confused:

I have played around with a few different solutions until I found something that worked with the way my brain works, or more precisely the way things make sense to me.

The initial sorting, stacking, and placement was an absolute nightmare. But the system works for me and building upon it now is simple, at least to me. But then again, it's mine so only I have to know how it works.;)

All this began to prove to my father that I had a broader music taste range than he does, but it seems I still can't stump him. Aside from hip-hop/electronica, there is no vinyl i have he doesn't know.

mushtama

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
Don't know how you guys have such large libraries, and I thought I had a lot of music :eek:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-17 at 18.33.37.png
    Screen shot 2012-05-17 at 18.33.37.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,112

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Haha. I had no idea how to organize this at first. After purchasing 2 collections of about 5000 records each, it dawned on me that storage space was not my problem, it was finding a needle in a haystack. :confused:

I have played around with a few different solutions until I found something that worked with the way my brain works, or more precisely the way things make sense to me.

The initial sorting, stacking, and placement was an absolute nightmare. But the system works for me and building upon it now is simple, at least to me. But then again, it's mine so only I have to know how it works.;)

All this began to prove to my father that I had a broader music taste range than he does, but it seems I still can't stump him. Aside from hip-hop/electronica, there is no vinyl i have he doesn't know.

That's utterly incredible!!

If you're willing, could you explain how your system works?

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Do you collect music in mp3 or lossless?

The music files are mostly AAC -- with most being at 192 "Variable", and some at 224 or 256, if they sounded crunchy at 192. The bulk of my collection is ripped from CDs I own, so I've kept the data rates to the minimum needed for "good enough" quality. Even so, I'm kind of impressed at how much better 192 AAC is now, versus how it was when it was first implemented in iTunes...

A.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
That's utterly incredible!!

If you're willing, could you explain how your system works?

Well, ok.

It was/is much easier to sort digital music just because of the physical aspect. Also much easier to move digital music around from drive to drive as well as it being portable. Sorting is also much easier, but is time consuming in the beginning.

So, when my last Windows machine utterly failed causing gigs of music, video and technical documents to be lost I decided to purchase my first Mac. I purchased a PowerMac G5 2.5 dual processor machine along with several external hard drives for backup. Technology in place it was time to figure out how to start organizing what I have in digital format. At the time I only had 50gb of music (not much), but it was all a mess. No album art, not properly tagged, etc.

I found a site that I really like, allmusic.com. By entering an artist name, results displayed genre and discography of the artist (there are more choices), but these are the only ones that really interested me. For most artists and cds there was/is also album art.

I created a music folder, within which were folders of people I got music from, I place I was when I got the music. But this soon turned out to be bad for sorting as I have the same artist in several locations all containing different albums. Not too good. Time to start over.

So I just created a music folder with genres as the subfolders. Within the subfolders are the artists with entire discographies in them (at least full albums if not the entire artists library). Next I would move an artist into the correct genre (per allmusic.com), import the album into itunes, properly tag the album and add artwork. Importing only a few albums a day, syncing to my ipod, listening to the cds, giving a rating and creating smart playlists seemed to take forever. It was longer to import my original 50gb than I imagined, but my system of organizing took hold and as my collecting sped up it was easier to sort a few gigs at a time. I would clean things up and then get some more music a few weeks later. This process would repeat every few weeks for the next 3-4years. I would get music from the library, people I would meet, I setup a music swap at the apple store in NYC. Eventually, I had more music than I could store and didn't want to buy any more external hard drives. It was time to start a clean up, not sure how much music I deleted all together but it was more than I wanted/needed. I traded some music for Apple gear, records and gave tons away just for the seer amusement of "wow, thats a lot of music".

The records are a similar story that hasn't ended yet. Probably never will. Taking records of the shelves, piling them elsewhere while looking at the artist and genre(allmusic.com) then putting this back on the shelves is an ongoing process. The records are somewhere sorted into genres, but then within the genre nothing is alphabetical yet. This will take more time and in the past few years, my motivation to alphabetize as I sort has gone down to zero. It is too much, I am overwhelmed and rarely pull out the records to listen to them. I have too much going on in life now to dedicate the time it requires to finish this, it's a full time job.

No big story, nothing too revealing either. It was and still is the way I organize my music so I can find things in my old and senile days.

The whole point of it now is that I have a massive collection of records, tapes and digital music that I hope to leave to my son one day. I was taught to have a love and appreciation of music and I want to teach my son the same.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
59.55GB of Music
9.72GB of Films
114.17GB of TV Shows

Nothing huge, but I'm only 18 and can see my music collection growing massively over the years!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Music: 108 Gb

Nothing huge but I'm only 10.... jk what does age have to do with anything.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
And that's just my music. Don't get me started on pics, movies, and t.v. lol

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 113
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.