Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twctv-150x152.png

Time Warner Cable and Viacom have settled their legal entanglements regarding Time Warner's streaming of Viacom video content on its iPad app, according to the New York Times.
The breakthrough comes as a result of a settlement between Time Warner Cable and Viacom, which owns cable channels like Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV and others. For months there had been a heated dispute over whether the cable company should have access to Viacom programs through its TWCable TV app.

On Wednesday, Viacom said that the companies had agreed "to resolve their pending litigations" and that "all of Viacom's programming will now be available to Time Warner Cable subscribers for in-home viewing via Internet protocol-enabled devices such as iPads."
The companies have been fighting over streaming rights for more than a year. Time Warner argued that its existing agreements give it the right to provide video streams on any screen, rather than just the television. Viacom said the app was "unlicensed distribution of Viacom's programming." Viacom still has a pending lawsuit with Cablevision over its Optimum live TV app.

Viacom's programming will roll out on the Time Warner Cable app over the next few weeks.

Time Warner's app, TWC TV, is available free on the App Store for its cable customers. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Time Warner Cable and Viacom Settle Lawsuit Over iPad Television Streaming

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Good. They've gotten use to selling the same content in several different "distribution" channels and banking the whole way. They sell their content to providers and I buy it from them. It doesn't matter if they let me get that content on my phone, tablet, tv or download directly in my damn head

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Woo hoo!

This is great news.

It was a drag to log onto TW Cable on my iPad and see so many channels missing. That app just got a lot better.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
What's with the overdone joke posts? I hope they're joke posts.

I've also always wondered about TMar's signature.

The signature is that it's a big no-no to talk about cracked apps on macrumors while it's perfectly fine to talk about stealing internet access via JB tethering apps. Both are a crime and should be treated as such.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I wonder, whilst these two were squabbling over who got the bigger slice of the subscription pie, how much money did they lose as disgruntled customers went for pirated content?

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
The signature is that it's a big no-no to talk about cracked apps on macrumors while it's perfectly fine to talk about stealing internet access via JB tethering apps. Both are a crime and should be treated as such.

I got that much, my point is more around a) caring and b) how you don't see it criminal that Telcos can do this. Encouraging public dialogue through a forum may be the only way to get the message across to them. Using pirated software is not comparable in any way to this, and I'm glad that such discourse is quashed.

Are you doing some sort of protest about cracked software conversation being shut down? There is no reason to side with Telcos on this matter, and the promotion in your signature is bordering disgusting

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007

I'm sorry, but I already pay for unwanted minutes and texts on top of my data allowance (even though all are just data anyway). How I use my data allowance should be up to me. It isn't stealing, because I'm not using anything I haven't already paid for, I'm just using it in a different way.

Imagine you get your water bill, but the water company has decided to charge you by your usage in showers, cooking, and gardening - all at different costs.

Gardening is most expensive, so I water my plants in the shower.

Am I stealing? It's the same water I'm paying for.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Imagine you get your water bill, but the water company has decided to charge you by your usage in showers, cooking, and gardening - all at different costs.

Gotta admit..that's the best analogy about tethering that I think I've seen so far. :)

Anyway, good for Time Warner "winning" the suit over Viacom. About time that someone sort of prevailed over the antiquated business models that the production industry thrives on. I personally like the TWC app..I use it to watch TV in my office while I'm on the desktop.

podlasek

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
USA

OOPS :eek:

The Water Company DOES charge you by usage (just the opposite of what you have listed). Indoor Usage Water is charged at a Higher Rate than Outdoor Water if you have the appropriate Meters attached in order to distinguish between the usage.

Bad Example but I think people get the point, While I personally don't Tether, I agree that if I'm paying for an internet connection, it shouldn't matter how I use it.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

The Water Company DOES charge you by usage (just the opposite of what you have listed). Indoor Usage Water is charged at a Higher Rate than Outdoor Water if you have the appropriate Meters attached in order to distinguish between the usage.

Bad Example but I think people get the point, While I personally don't Tether, I agree that if I'm paying for an internet connection, it shouldn't matter how I use it.

LMAO They do NOT do that.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

How is it a crime exactly? I paid for the data.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

Ermm.. where? Quite sure I've never seen a house with two separate water lines on different meters.

Some houses are set up to use well water for the outside and city water for the inside.. that's entirely different.

On topic: Good for Time Warner. Next we need to convince the content providers that it doesn't matter whether I'm holding my screen at my house or my neighbor's house, I'm still paying for the content.

macrushfan

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Still does not support airplay....

I like the app but if you try to display the content via airplay to your TV you get an internal error. I suspect TWC has disabled the ability to Airplay as if I would give up my cable box for this :(

Also they allow you to stream from a web browser but Silverlight is not very stable.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I like the app but if you try to display the content via airplay to your TV you get an internal error. I suspect TWC has disabled the ability to Airplay as if I would give up my cable box for this :(

Also they allow you to stream from a web browser but Silverlight is not very stable.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why the hell you want to stream that TV content to your TV while your TV is connected to the cable.:confused:

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I wonder, whilst these two were squabbling over who got the bigger slice of the subscription pie, how much money did they lose as disgruntled customers went for pirated content?

I just said screw it and left time warner cable .. (of course moving out of a building where that's the only service option helped too) .. verizon fios has been fine for me ever since

deadshift

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
wow, all over the place

Where I am, the water bill is for water and sewer. The assumption is that water used goes down the sewer, so I pay for both. If I could prove the water I was using didn't use the sewer, such as watering my lawn, then it would be cheaper. As water is so cheap, it's not worth the extra meter or hassle. For a farm, it would totally be worthwhile.

As for tethering, using data outside of the prescribed agreement with the provider is against your contract. This manner of breaking contract may be a crime, but that's not entirely clear to me. Whether the contract is written in a manner that should be tolerated in a consumer-friendly environment is also not clear to me. Contracts from phone and cable companies are so customer abusive it's shameful.

And now for the actual thread topic: watching comcast battle viacom is like watching a feces-demon battling a pile of re-animated, rotting flesh. I guess I'm happy about who won, but mostly I was hoping they would annihilate each other and something better would replace them both.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why the hell you want to stream that TV content to your TV while your TV is connected to the cable.:confused:
I have a 5 bedroom house with a TV in each room plus a TV in the kitchen plus a TV in the LR and TV Room. Renting STB's get pretty expensive when you need them for every TV. ATV is a 1 time cost of $99 and has other uses. We need to be able to eliminate the STB from the Cable Company to lower monthly costs.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How could Apple let this happen? Shame on them.

How could they stop it. They don't control said content and they aren't dictators that rule on what other parties in their own contracts do and don't do. Despite what some folks around here think

The two sides didn't so much as settle as TWC probably pointed out that the access is still in the same home and it isn't prohibited in the current contracts. So Viacom stepped off but when the next round of contracts hits they will make sure that this issue is clearly mentioned and they get more money if TWC wants to allow this kind of access or anything similar.

----------

I guess this now facilitates the App to be used in the rumoured Apple TV.

Not at all. Because Apple would have to have a contract with TWC to use the app and they aren't likely to give it. And why would Apple want an app that can only be signed up to access in very stricted areas to give access to something you can get just by plugging your cable connection into the TV. You don't need an Apple TV for that. And why would TWC want. It would be setting up folks to drop their $50 and up cable service that they are currently buying on top of their $50 and up internet service. TWC wants both checks from folks.

Now if it was a Viacom app and you could subscribe to their channel set directly without needing cable, that would be different.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a 5 bedroom house with a TV in each room plus a TV in the kitchen plus a TV in the LR and TV Room. Renting STB's get pretty expensive when you need them for every TV. ATV is a 1 time cost of $99 and has other uses. We need to be able to eliminate the STB from the Cable Company to lower monthly costs.

Is that legal, and that's the reason Airplay won't work in this App.

On a side note, most STB's you get from the Cable companies su*k(slow channel hopping), better buy a dreambox, much faster and you don't have to pay rent, and much better UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.