Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we noted that Apple had filed a claim with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) seeking to gain ownership of the iPhone5.com domain, which had hosted a small independent discussion forum for the past year and a half.

The Next Web now reports that the case has been terminated, indicating that the dispute has been resolved without WIPO having had to render a decision. The domain is now under the control of brand protection firm Corporation Service Company, presumably on Apple's behalf, and simply displays a blank page.

wipo_iphone5com_terminated.png

Apple's move to take possession of the iPhone5.com domain naturally fuels speculation that it will use the name for its next-generation iPhone, although that is not necessarily the case. Given the popularity of the name within discussions of the future iPhone, Apple may simply be protecting its iPhone trademarks while also seeking to control content at what is likely to be a popular destination for those searching for information on the company's products.

For those curious about iPhone6.com, the domain has changed hands several times, having first been registered in 2007 by an individual in Dubai who later transferred it to an owner in South Korea. But since mid-2010, ownership information for the domain has been kept private and there is currently no site associated with the address.

Article Link: Apple Takes Possession of iPhone5.com Domain

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This still doesn't mean they will call it the "iPhone 5." I like the idea of calling it the new "iPhone" like they did with the iPad.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Interesting stuff. I'm not surprised Apple wants as many domains as possible. Although not once have I ever looked up iPad3.com or iPhone4s.com to find news about upcoming products.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This still doesn't mean they will call it the "iPhone 5." I like the idea of calling it the new "iPhone" like they did with the iPad.

And this could be it as they didn't want someone thinking the new "iPhone" is the "iPhone 5" and go to that site...could be right.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Actually it takes you to a page that loads MacRumors into a frame.

Yeah :)
Why MacRumors though?

I'm also curious as to why Apple hasn't bought out ipad2.com and ipad3.com, or even weirder, ipad.com!
You'd think they'd have at least one ipad.com domain.

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
No, they are just doing one of their jobs, trademark protection. Chasing domain squatters is probably the task of some junior level attorney straight out of law school.

If anyone was bored, it was MacRumors for covering this type of activity on the front page.

ThatsLogical

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Hang on...

Does anybody else not realize that Apple has not been called "Apple Computer, Inc." since 2007. If this domain was registered to them, shouldn't they use their legal entity name ("Apple, Inc.")??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.