Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Apple Takes Possession of iPhone5.com Domain

Well somehow I always knew they would eventually take possession. This however is just a first step in many to come with the upcoming new iPhone.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
wow

i just brought the rights to the domainen of iphone 5s.

apple pay me 5 mill and il give it back to you.

:p

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Does anybody else not realize that Apple has not been called "Apple Computer, Inc." since 2007. If this domain was registered to them, shouldn't they use their legal entity name ("Apple, Inc.")??

Depends. My paycheck comes from a company name that is no longer the name of my company. I don't know if it's contractual reasons or not, but that is definitely Apple.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
This still doesn't mean they will call it the "iPhone 5." I like the idea of calling it the new "iPhone" like they did with the iPad.

So how will the iPhone 6 and the iPad 4 work? Will the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 be called "the old iPhone" and "the old iPad" or will the iPhone 6 and the iPad 4 be called "the newer iPhone" and "the newer iPad"? And for that matter, what happens with the iPhone 7 and iPad 5? :eek:

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
As long as the regulated due process is intact and not due to muscle...based on Intellectual property, trademark etc.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
I wondering if there was a deal between Apple and the person who own's iphone5.com or did they just scared the person in giving it up?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
"Apple Takes Possession of iPhone5.com Domain"

It all sounds like an army invasion as in:

"Apple Takes Possession of the British Virgin Islands"

I wonder if they gave a few bucks to the previous owner or just grabbed it by force.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So how will the iPhone 6 and the iPad 4 work? Will the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 be called "the old iPhone" and "the old iPad" or will the iPhone 6 and the iPad 4 be called "the newer iPhone" and "the newer iPad"? And for that matter, what happens with the iPhone 7 and iPad 5? :eek:

They will always be called "iPhone." It's the same as the MacBook Pro or Air.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
i just brought the rights to the domainen of iphone 5s.

apple pay me 5 mill and il give it back to you.

:p

Well, actually your plan is flawed since it sounds like Apple simply just took possession of iphone5.com. There was no 5 million $ payout.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Does anybody else not realize that Apple has not been called "Apple Computer, Inc." since 2007. If this domain was registered to them, shouldn't they use their legal entity name ("Apple, Inc.")??

Could just be how they manage registrar information. It would be easy enough for whoever handles domain registration to have missed changing this.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

There's no "iMac 12" or "MacBook Air 4" or "iPod touch 3". How do they work?

emon878

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
I wonder if the owner got compensated. Also iPhone6.com and thenewiphone.com is taken, and is thenewiphone.ca .info and .net

Last edited:

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
iPhone 5/6

I'm still not sure why everyone thinks the sixth generation iPhone is going to be called the 'iPhone 5.' The people at Apple would have had to be dropping extra LSD to believe they could actually make people believe it was the fifth iPhone.

Or perhaps like the Apple II, they aren't acknowledging the existence of the first one.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm still not sure why everyone thinks the sixth generation iPhone is going to be called the 'iPhone 5.' The people at Apple would have had to be dropping extra LSD to believe they could actually make people believe it was the fifth iPhone.

Or perhaps like the Apple II, they aren't acknowledging the existence of the first one.

I still don't get it that people have to discus this on and on and on........

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They probably did not disband the original corp, and still use it for certain things. Perhaps, domain registration. They no doubt have dozens of legal entities.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.