Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

th3joker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
Here's a working ROM for your GTX 480, still needs a bigger chip first but then you're good to go.

If you made your own GTX 285 then this will be a doddle for you.

Selling them on ebay? get in touch I'll make you a customised rom for free.

MOD EDIT: Attachment removed

Last edited by a moderator:

olemoley

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
MacVidCards/rominator claiming IP

The debate is raging on over at Netkas over this.

You can't patent or copyright a hack, it's 99.999% someone else's work anyway.

This is my take one the situation:

"This is how the hacking of the iPhone is carried out, someone discovers a way to alter the code and allow them to make it work in a way not intended by the manufacturer. You cannot copyright or patent that as you are simply making changes to someone else's IP.

What the law states:
If the intellectual property is already protected by someone else, you will not be able to protect it.

"They will be able to take legal action against you if you infringe their rights."

Then there's the question of monopoly:
A monopoly that occurs when a single firm controls manufacturing methods necessary to produce a certain product, or has exclusive rights over the technology used to manufacture it.

Licensing must be allowed at a rate considered 'reasonable' or the monopolies commission will come down very hard on you.
But that then goes back to ownership and since he doesn't 'own' it he can't license it.

Involving VERO is very likely to put the instigator in potentially more trouble than the person being claimed against. Should the accused elevate the action then what is most likely to happen is all listings are removed and all the sellers would permanently be unable to list any of that technology again. Worst case all parties involved could be sued and made to back pay a percentage of their earnings and very likely damages on top.

He's not selling a genuine product it's a hack, when he produces and manufactures his own card and then registers that as IP then all well and good. At the end of the day he's riding on someone else's work."

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Nvidia designed and built some stunning cards. Nvidia created the PC BIOS on the cards. Nvidia wrote the EFI Mac driver for Quadro 4000. I was the one person who revised that EFI to run other Fermi cards.

This "joker" person has lied and claimed that they figured this out, yet this rom he is posting contains code that only exists in the ROM I have been placing on cards. He can't explain it's presence, and he created a new id here just to post it.

Always fun to give away freebies, especially when you have no time or effort invested in creating the freebies.

There are only 2 card sellers who actually work out new cards to offer the Mac Community.

Myself and a guy named YoYoMarv

We spend hours and hours figuring stuff out to offer better cards.

There are other people who feel that spending effort creating bogus id's so they can buy up these roms is "research".

Why they don't spend this effort just figuring things out themselves is a good question.

Here is a perfect example:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...moahk&completed=1&all=1&rows=50&sort=3&_rdc=1

Note the many unique, custom crafted Mac cards bought up by this person named "Jacob"

All from a guy who lives within blocks of "wittjack", a seller of Mac cards who has been unable to come up with his own unique cards and claims to be quitting the business. (And yet oddly bought up 3 or 4 GTX480 in last 2 weeks, same time this joker guy "discovered" my rom on his hard drive)

Don't you all want newer more powerful cards for your Macs?

If Nvidia doesn't offer an EFI GTX680 wouldn't some of you like one to be available anyway? Who do you think is going to create it? A guy who hides behind multiple id's to steal roms, or someone who spends hours trial and erroring their way to find what works?

If it weren't for our efforts, the GTX285 would still be the EFI Nvidia "King of the Hill" for Macs. We have found a way to offer people new cards, but these other guys seem to feel that they have a right to our work. "The Joker" (jack) offered to license cards from me, I declined, so instead he is going to go with a "scorched earth" policy. Why would I ever want to be in business with someone who uses terrorist tactics? He has convinced me that I made the right decision.

The argument that I only changed a few things is rather silly. It took me many long weeks to figure out what those things were and get the cards working perfectly. If my changes are so insignificant, why are we debating this? The changes were small but the result is a whole family of new Mac cards.

The rom he is posting here contains code that never appeared in the Mac EFI from Nvidia. It only appeared in my roms. He knows it and I know it. Anyone with a hex editor can confirm it.

As to who owns what rights, what happened to just doing the decent thing and respecting the work of others?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The rom he is posting here contains code that never appeared in the Mac EFI from Nvidia. It only appeared in my roms. He knows it and I know it. Anyone with a hex editor can confirm it.

We can also confirm that it contains material copyrighted by Nvidia:

Copyright (c) 1996-2012 NVIDIA Corp.

On that basis it was removed and this thread closed.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.