Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Docbml

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Getting Screwed

when i hear CEOs and companies talk like this all i here is "bla bla bla take your money bla bla and no, we won't upgrade our network enough to handle increased bandwidth"

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
so when the new iphone comes we have 2 choices

1. pay $200 and lose our unlimited data
2. pay $700 keep unlimited data

this sucks....good thing im on wifi 80% of the time.

You'll those 5 nexus devices to choose from as well which most likely will cost 399.99 and lower. Sounds like a good deal to me. Bonus is your not tied to a contract so you can switch carriers at any time.

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
So here is the price breakdown for the 2 possible options:

1) Buy the new iPhone (16gb) @ subsidized price losing unlimited data:

iPhone Price (16gb) = $200
Sell iPhone 2 years later = $250
---------------------------------
Total = -$50 (meaning $50 profit)

2) Buy the new iPhone (16gb) @ un-subsidized price keeping unlimited data:

iPhone Outright Price (16gb) = $700
iPhone Subsidized Price (16gb) = -$200
Sell iPhone 2 years later = $250
---------------------------------
Total = $250
(meaning $10.41 extra/ month to keep unlimited data and not to mention losing $50 profit)

Accounting losing the $50 profit, you are paying $12.5 extra for keeping unlimited data plan.

**Assuming you would be able to get Unlimited 4G data from Unlimited 3G data plan.

This depends on whether Verizon letting customers upgrade to Unlimited 4G data plan if the new iPhone were to bought outright.

Docbml

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
lies

The other important thing to note with carriers like this is that it is not about the bandwidth but simply the money. For example, AT&T will charge you extra if you go over the amount of data that you get in a a month. However, if you are on the more expensive 3GB plan you get an extra 1GB of data for 10 dollars. If you are on the 300MB plan your extra 10 dollars gets you 300mb of data if you go over. You are paying 10 dollars either way, shouldn't the amount of data being given be equal since more AT&T is running out of bandwidth? No because they don't care about bandwidth, just money. These carriers refuse to put enough money into infrastructure and then blame the consumer if we use the network too much. LOL. The best thing i ever heard was from att, they had a graph showing how over the years there have been more smartphones on the market and thus their networks have had an increased work load. to me all they said was "we have more phones now but only did marginal improvements so we can complain later how we can't handle it". It would be like the government saying that we can't buy any more cars because we are out of road space.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
How much data are you people using? I have never been over 1.5GB ever in the history of owning phones, I've had every iPhone FYI. I mean, to pay $899 for a phone that you can get for $399 just so you can have unlimited data seems stupid to me, unless of course you are using stupid amounts of it... Are you guys tethering full time to your phones and don't have broadband at home? I mean, I know it's fun to complain about things but seems to me that most are complaining about something that will never affect them in the first place/

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
On my LTE phone, I use between 10-20 gigs a month. That's without streaming. It not that hard to go over on LTE.

What are you doing on your phone. I have a nexus that I frequently flash roms on and I still only average like 400mb a month. Thats with tons of web browsing and stuff. Maybe stock android 4.0 is much better with data but still, I had no problems with old incredible either.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
While out working today, I was sitting in a parking lot trying to load a client's web page before I walked in. On Verizon's 3G network with full bars, it wouldn't load. A basic, "business card" non-interactive website. I ended up driving to McDonalds so I could hop on their wifi for 2 minutes, then back to the meeting.

Still, with VZW's slow-ish service I still use almost a gig a month. I avoid some sites because I know it's pointless to try and load them while mobile. I can only imagine how much data I'd blow through on LTE.

YMMV, of course.....

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I would love for Apple to step up as a Bulk Carrier and offer a plan just like Wally World.

Then we don't need to worry about it anymore...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I will get voted down for this, but I think this is fine. Changing someone's existing contract is not ok, but this is just saying they don't offer that plan any more, so if you want to sign a new contract, you have to select one they currently offer. Sucks that there's no more unlimited option, but I'm not sure why someone who bought a VZW iPhone 4 in 2011 should have an unlimited option when upgrading to an LTE iPhone in 2012 while a new subscriber buying an LTE iPhone in 2012 would not have that option.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Other bandwidth hungry iCloud functions are WiFi only (iCloud Backup, Photo Stream). iCloud syncing of Documents and Data over cellular data can be turned off. Same with Automatic Downloads from the iTunes/App Store. You can toggle music, apps, and books individually and you can turn restrict it to WiFi only.

This is true. However restricting some or all cloud services to wifi only defeats the purpose. If you can't watch stream a movie from the cloud on a bus trip or some similar situation then that movie needs to be stored on the device.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I will get voted down for this, but I think this is fine. Changing someone's existing contract is not ok, but this is just saying they don't offer that plan any more, so if you want to sign a new contract, you have to select one they currently offer. Sucks that there's no more unlimited option, but I'm not sure why someone who bought a VZW iPhone 4 in 2011 should have an unlimited option when upgrading to an LTE iPhone in 2012 while a new subscriber buying an LTE iPhone in 2012 would not have that option.
If it makes you feel better, I wouldn't vote you down for saying that. Companies do whatever they can to increase profit margins. Backwards moving plans like these will continue to flourish as long as their customers are happy to move backwards with them.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I don't understand the contention that buying at the unsubsidized rate is a workable solution here. If you buy the phone unsubsidized, you still have to pay the same plan rates that pay the carrier back (and then some) for the subsidy, so... a ~$500 premium just to keep your unlimited plan? How does that constitute the best deal for even the top data users?

Is there something wrong with my math?

Yes. It uses logic instead of emotion to draw a conclusion.

----------

just like the gas prices in California, they like to stick it to the consumer anyway they can! :mad:

Ironic example, given gas prices in Europe!

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
ATT has already said that customers with unlimited data plans will essentially be throttled if you go beyond 3GB a month.

This was announced 2 months ago, have people already forgotten?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203986604577255532947217336.html

I'd rather be throttled than not have the plan. This way at least if I do go over I won't get an extra 10 dollars added on per GB.

I hope AT&T stays happy with just throttling and doesn't decide to use this as an excuse not to continue grandfathered plans. But I my be outta luck as AT&T's CEO recently said his one regret was ever offering unlimited.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
You should also subtract out the value of the iPhone ($300-$500) when you resale it X months later to get the true cost out of pocket for unlimited data per month.

Why? Is the residual value of a subsidized phone less? Sure has never been for me. I sell my old iPhone every year, when i get the new one within a month of launch, for $400 or so.

sd-diver

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Curious...

I have 4 iPhones on my AT&T plan - mine (unlimited) at $30, 2 with 200 mb at $15 each, and 1at 2 gb at $25. I use ~2 gb, the 2 200 mbs use 150, and the 2 gb uses ~ 500 mb. So, I'm paying $85 for for less than 3 mb usage. I could live with a 5gb family plan for say $50 - assuming that my usage doesn't double once 2 of the lines get upgraded this October...

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hopefully their LTE Network can catch up

This sucks.

But, then again, unlimited data is a rarity. Even ISPs don't really provide unlimited data, they just cap at ~250GB.

Now if Verizon/AT&T capped at 250GB, I'd be fine with that :D

I'm still holding onto my unlimited data plan through AT&T with my dear life. Been through the 3GS, 4, and 4s... hoping to make it 3 more generations! haha

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How much data are you people using? I have never been over 1.5GB ever in the history of owning phones, I've had every iPhone FYI. I mean, to pay $899 for a phone that you can get for $399 just so you can have unlimited data seems stupid to me, unless of course you are using stupid amounts of it... Are you guys tethering full time to your phones and don't have broadband at home? I mean, I know it's fun to complain about things but seems to me that most are complaining about something that will never affect them in the first place/

i average around 5gb+ a month. i dont tether, but i do use the phone as my only source of internet at home. if im in free wi-fi or at a family members or friends, i use there wi-fi if they have it because its faster. so my data is probably 2-3gb's higher. i dont stream video, aside from the occasional youtube video. i do use dropbox an insane amount for work and projects and read a lot of news, but thats it. it adds up fast.

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
The difference between full cost and subsidized is the up charge to keep your unlimited. Not so bad. $20 something extra per month if you look at it per month. Of course you have to pony it all up when you upgrade.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
in a way i'm glad they are doing this. Hopefully it will stop the tweens and others from streaming music from youtube, spotify and pandora.

How does one view how much data they use per billing cycle. I would like to start monitoring my usage habits.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Telecom companies are like drug dealers... the deals were sweet when fewer people used data and they keep raising prices as we become more dependent.

I'm certain this trend will only continue. If a bunch of iPhone users migrate to Sprint, then before too long Sprint will pull the same trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.