Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I didn't watch the video but I doubt he wanted to make a complete car. More like a better UI for certain things in the car -- the stereo comes to mind. The other car companies are starting to do things a little better but imagine how awesome an Apple-branded car stereo w/ touchscreen would be?

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
But the iCar would be a locked down car ;)
I wonder if I could open the hood or trunk of that car?

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
An iCar would have been very interesting.

Good design, for once, in the car market which has been dominated by ugly Japanese car "esthetics" since the eighties.

And, of course, they all have the autocad look.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Steve Jobs was a big dreamer who made things happen and this article makes a great case in point. If only he lived longer this thing probably would have been nearly 75% of the market. Tim on the other hand has been nothing short of a crock profiting on Jobs efforts. He needs to release something worth releasing, if this whole iTV gimmick actually works at his hand (the one that released a LARGER, THICKER iPad riddled with flaws) I'll be awe struck. :mad::mad::mad:

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
This will be a rant. I'm sorry, but I really have to say this.

To those of you saying the iCar would have been a failure: go f--- off. Just seriously go f right off.

What single clue do you know about what Steve envisioned? And what right do you have to assume that the most successful visionary of our time wasn't well aware of the challenges. It may not even have been developed for another decade or two.

Why do you doubt? Is it because it's more comforting considering he won't be around to see this vision into fruition? Because you're smarter than he was? Or maybe you lack his ability to envision something that isn't just a hackneyed mesh of what's currently available, like most other companies end up doing.

Guess what, now that he's not here anymore it'll probably take an extra two decades or more for us to come close to what he may have developed, regardless of the level of success it may have found. Could have been a real revolution in travel. It may not have resembled the car as we know it at all.

Sure I could continue to argue that point and sure you could argue against it, but with what evidence? Revolution requires dreaming big-- exactly what he tended to do.

Remember the moment you found out about his death? Was it not a profound sense of loss? Regardless, was a great loss for everyone. The man wasn't finished.

So f off.

-Me

Last edited:

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
iCar?

I would have given it a miss anyway.

They would probably have just released a new model every year and stopped providing support and updates for your 'old' model after just 2 years, in the hope that you will give your 'old' iCar to your wife or kids and buy a new one.... :)

Just like my 'old' iPhones and 'oldest' iPad.... :rolleyes:

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
Apple should just buy VW, improve on their designs, release some great cars and call it a day.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
iCar? I don't know. Doesn't have quite the same twang to it as iPhone/Pod. And how would Apple's design philosophies fit in?

But then the idea of Microsoft designing a Windows Car for the average man?...

No.jpg

Rover_800_01.jpg

Yeahhh. Might not be so bad afterall.

It'd be an all Aluminum and Glass city commuter like a smart car, run all day on a litre of gas, but only have a 1l gas tank...:D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, I suppose the iCar would only run on iFuel and not start at night "because a normal person won't driva at night"

I so love Apple products, but that would be just too much. And BTW, there is already an Apple in the motorbike industry, its called Honda ;)

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
I didn't watch the video but I doubt he wanted to make a complete car. More like a better UI for certain things in the car -- the stereo comes to mind. The other car companies are starting to do things a little better but imagine how awesome an Apple-branded car stereo w/ touchscreen would be?

Oh, I dunno...

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
The car industry could have used it. (And the country - maybe a first step in bringing some manufacturing back?) I hope Apple can continue to be as daring in the future.

Though fortunately there are also companies like Tesla that are out there trying to change things for the better. Tell me this doesn't have that Apple panache: http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Apple have reinvented several markets. And the car industry is ripe for reinvention. I would love to know what he envisioned.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
No living room dream until prices go down... given the 50~60+% profit margins on almost every single Apple product available, something's gotta give since worker wages have not been staying afloat with inflation (or going higher, which in turn creates the prosperity for workers that allows companies to prosper even more in return with...)

And given how iFixit has found some incidents of sloppy construction in the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, etc, I wouldn't want Apple or any other company involved if said construction were to be in an automobile.

----------

Apple have reinvented several markets. And the car industry is ripe for reinvention. I would love to know what he envisioned.

I'm sure Apple has reinvented several markets, or at least gave a good song and dance to sell the impression of doing so...

But I'd reckon the car innovations would probably include voice activated controls and a touch screen...

Except Microsoft got there already with "SYNC" and "My Ford Touch"... even if the latter has a few bugs in it... but what doesn't nowadays? Fixing bugs isn't profitable...

----------

Apple should just buy VW, improve on their designs, release some great cars and call it a day.

Ford would make a better brand... VW sells upturned bathtubs on wheels and big vans to smoke pot and do other naughty things in... :eek::eek::eek:

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
iCar? I don't know. Doesn't have quite the same twang to it as iPhone/Pod. And how would Apple's design philosophies fit in?

But then the idea of Microsoft designing a Windows Car for the average man?...

No.jpg

Rover_800_01.jpg

Yeahhh. Might not be so bad afterall.

Ever hear of Ford SYNC ?

Windows has made several really great computer systems for cars.

Don't be that guy trolling to bash Windows on the basis of XP problems. It's just so played out on these forums. Older versions of Mac had their fair share as well.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
iCar?

I would have given it a miss anyway.

They would probably have just released a new model every year and stopped providing support and updates for your 'old' model after just 2 years, in the hope that you will give your 'old' iCar to your wife or kids and buy a new one.... :)

Just like my 'old' iPhones and 'oldest' iPad.... :rolleyes:

That's "capitalism" in a nutshell. Or at least "planned obsolescence", which is one of the more unethical aspects to the economic paradigm in question. If you don't buy in favor of saving or spending money on useless things like higher education, etc, the system would fail unless the selling companies found a way to stay afloat if people weren't buying... I think they call that "subsidy" or something...

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Ever hear of Ford SYNC ?

Windows has made several really great computer systems for cars.

Don't be that guy trolling to bash Windows on the basis of XP problems. It's just so played out on these forums. Older versions of Mac had their fair share as well.

Agreed...

1. Older Macs had problems (been there, done that, preferred Amiga anyhow, but that's all 20 years ago and when I should have been meeting gals and not drooling over the latest computers of the era...)

2. Win7 has problems of its own but that's not important to discuss right now

3. Microsoft knows how to "get there first", even if it's not the best. SYNC is by and large cool, but it's hardly bug-free... sometimes I have to hit the 'activate' button twice to get it to go... and "My Ford Touch" has been a real thorn since Ford opted to rely on Microsoft to make it. But it's not about doing things right. It's about getting to market first, with as low of a cost as possible, and hoping nobody cares about the bugs, as (most of them) can be fixed later on. And, if not, there's a new version down the road in a couple or three years... Who needs ethics when those aren't profitable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.